DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Low quality raw photos on Air 2s

Igatnnos02

Reactions
Hello everyone,

You getting a question from a beginner here so I apologize if it sounds dumb. Got my new drone last Friday and after my first flight I realized that the raw photos it is taking in the jpeg+raw mode are only 960×640. I can't find any setting as far as the resolution of the raw photos. The jpegs were perfectly fine at 20mp. Does anyone know why this would be the case? I've tried viewing the raw photos on both my PC and Android and the result is the same. I know for sure my phone supports viewing dng files so that shouldn't be an issue. Any help would be great!

Thanks,
Isaac

You're seeing the info for the embedded thumbnail in the .DNG file ... open it up in a proper raw converter instead.

And you know that a raw file mainly are what the sensor captured, usually really flat without vivid colors, sharpness & contrast ... it's meant to be post processed & if you're good at that you can possibly generate a better picture than the .jpeg created in-camera... or create a picture more too your liking than something decided by some Chinese engineer.

Hmm, interesting. I was aware that raw photos are meant to be post-processed and that they don't look good straight out of the camera, but I wasn't expecting the low-res. So you're saying if I open it in Lightroom it should show up as the proper resolution? By converting I'm assuming you mean editing as raw and then saving as jpeg?

... I wasn't expecting the low-res. So you're saying if I open it in Lightroom it should show up as the proper resolution?
Yes ... the raw file includes a low res. thumbnail & it's that your viewer see's as 960x640. Open it up in Lightroom & you will be working with the full size .DNG file.

...By converting I'm assuming you mean editing as raw and then saving as jpeg?
Open it up in Lightroom, make adjustments too your liking under the develop section there & then export it out to the format you want, one of them is .jpeg but you can chose others too.

Reactions: RMS001
Hello everyone,

You getting a question from a beginner here so I apologize if it sounds dumb. Got my new drone last Friday and after my first flight I realized that the raw photos it is taking in the jpeg+raw mode are only 960×640. I can't find any setting as far as the resolution of the raw photos. The jpegs were perfectly fine at 20mp. Does anyone know why this would be the case? I've tried viewing the raw photos on both my PC and Android and the result is the same. I know for sure my phone supports viewing dng files so that shouldn't be an issue. Any help would be great!

Thanks,
Isaac
Hopefully you are looking at the files on an SD card that you have put in the drone and not from your phone / tablet.

Yes ... the raw file includes a low res. thumbnail & it's that your viewer see's as 960x640. Open it up in Lightroom & you will be working with the full size .DNG file.

Open it up in Lightroom, make adjustments too your liking under the develop section there & then export it out to the format you want, one of them is .jpeg but you can chose others too.
Thanks for all the help! Opened them in Lightroom and all is good...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22