DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M A 2 Controller.

Nearlypastit

Reactions
Hi all. I’m fairly new to all this drone flying. I purchased the MA 2 (I’m surprised my wife agreed) and flown it several times with varying degrees of success. Sometimes forgetting to switch on record, watching on my phone screen and thinking it looks good then after landing realising I wasn’t recording.
What I want to ask is advice on the controller. I’m using my Samsung S8+ and that’s ok but was wondering whether it might be better to have a dedicated screen/phone just for the drone. I definitely can’t afford the smart controller. Is there a tablet that would fit on the controls that might be more affordable?
Perhaps I will have to stick with my phone but was just looking at other possibilities.
I thought if I asked all the experts someone might have some advice.

You will get a lot of advice on this site and opinions.
Please also watch some videos on the subject after you find something that might interest you.
It all about how much you want to spend.
My choice was being able to see it and control my investment.... the drone.
I like the iPad Mini 5 and I know how much it cost plus I had to get a holder for it.
I also made one for only 3 dollars but decide to just go ahead and buy the holder.
Good luck and I will include a pic of my set up.

Attachments

• IMG_20200714_074420.jpg
    IMG_20200714_074420.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20200714_074432.jpg
    IMG_20200714_074432.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 19
Is there some problem with using your phone? Why do you think something else will be better?
For the record, I am very happy with the controller/phone interface on the MA2.

Is there some problem with using your phone? Why do you think something else will be better?
Two reason comes to mind at least in my opinion.
How old you are and how good is your eye site.
Big improvement when I went from phone to iPad.

Reactions: A.O.
The phone works fine, I just feel that with my phone out of use while I’m flying, if my wife needed to contact me it’s out of action. It’s probably more to do with our ages and being out of contact if anything happened. I’m probably fussing over nothing but when you’re in your 80’s you have to think of these things (well, I do anyway).

I have a mini 4 that I have used for years now and it is nice having a larger screen . I like watching wildlife and the bigger screen helps

No you will need a adapter and longer cord.
Or get this one....
I was looking at a similar one on Amazon an hour ago, I think this might be the way to go. I’ve also looked at refurbished iPad mini 4’s. Thanks for the advice.

I'm using an ipad mini 4 with an adapter to hold it. The cord that came with the RC works just fine.
Yes. I have iPad mini with adapter similar to one shown in post #11, and provided cable is long enough.

Had a different adapter earlier that held tablet up and above controller (similar to one shown in post #2), for which provided cable was too short.

Reactions: Nearlypastit
Decided I wanted to try my iPad for the larger screen area. Purchased the Lifthor Baldur mount and bracket. One of the best if not THE best mount made... I mean this thing is a built like a rock! Added a Surf to Summit Sunshade for added contrast/brightness. The iPad Pro has the highest Nit output, 600 Nits, of the iPad family but a little added shade is still beneficial. One problem I was still plagued with was reflections. So I turned to the GA aviators solution of a “Low Reflective“ screen protector (waiting its arrival). I like the setup!

Attachments

• 6D738ECE-FE7D-4FFD-B72F-BE793A49CEA7.jpeg
    6D738ECE-FE7D-4FFD-B72F-BE793A49CEA7.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
  • FFA32796-7C26-452B-B00D-A43E87DED43A.jpeg
    FFA32796-7C26-452B-B00D-A43E87DED43A.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 13
Hi all. I’m fairly new to all this drone flying. I purchased the MA 2 (I’m surprised my wife agreed) and flown it several times with varying degrees of success. Sometimes forgetting to switch on record, watching on my phone screen and thinking it looks good then after landing realising I wasn’t recording.
What I want to ask is advice on the controller. I’m using my Samsung S8+ and that’s ok but was wondering whether it might be better to have a dedicated screen/phone just for the drone. I definitely can’t afford the smart controller. Is there a tablet that would fit on the controls that might be more affordable?
Perhaps I will have to stick with my phone but was just looking at other possibilities.
I thought if I asked all the experts someone might have some advice.
I’m no expert, but perhaps you might look at buying an iPad mini Used. Phones are fine, but I’ve heard that overheating in the sun can be a problem as well as battery drain.

, they seem much cheaper than an iPad
I"ve tried a cheap tablet and it doesn't work well. I'm sure some are better than others but you will become more comfortable with your phone as you gain experience. If you are not doing close up inspections or something like that

Reactions: Nearlypastit
I"ve tried a cheap tablet and it doesn't work well. I'm sure some are better than others but you will become more comfortable with your phone as you gain experience. If you are not doing close up inspections or something like that
Or if your eyes aren't too old.

I was thinking that a Samsung tablet would do the job, they seem much cheaper than an iPad.
I saw a Samsung Tablet in a shop and said to the salesman that I would purchase it conditional to its supporting the DJI Fly app. So I wanted to open the box and try to download DJI Fly app. But the salesman replied that the moment I opened the box, I had to complete the purchase. No deal.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest