DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M2 and Goggles RE: Which antenna array/Comms Software is active, when RE are linked?

jzilla80

Reactions
As MANY have noticed, there is an issue with the M2's range capability when connected to Goggles RE. Im aware that a lucky few have encountered less trouble, and even fewer say they have no trouble at all. Im one of the many that, for the most part (99%), reach 950ft and suddenly get stuttering FPV, quickly followed by B&W frozen screen of death at 1000ft.
I power down the RE Goggles and 2 secs later, solid signal is back 100% and continue on for miles without issue... Same story for many and while there are some theories and anecdotal fixes, the problem still remains.

After 60+ flights using RE with those same horrid results BUT also 3 flights now where I hit 2 miles w/o issue, while using RE entire flight, Im noticing a strong correlation to the level of RF interference in the area. The M2 alone handles this RF 'interference' without issue, while the RE completely chokes on even the slightest bit!

I dont think its the level of RF thats in an area that is the problem. I believe its how the Goggles RE handle that RF, or are affected by it, is the issue, or at least a huge part of it. (ie: Rxvr too sensitive or, more likely, the firmware bottlenecks when it faces interference)

SO FINALLY, TO THE QUESTION;
Does anyone know the communication protocols for the M2 when the Goggles RE are linked and part of the M2 network?

Im sure the RE antenna array, inside the headband, take over PART of the comms, however, Im not sure if the RE takes over COMPLETELY, or if its just for FPV, or is it completely cooperational with the RC, meaning that both the RC and the Goggles RE (including both their antenna systems) work together, all flight long?

In other words,
When the Goggles RE are linked, do they "take over" the M2-Pilot pathway and the RC communicates with the Goggles for manuevering? (Doesnt seem likely but still asking)

Im sure there was a much more concise way of asking this question so apologies on its length but Im convinced that the issue we face with the M2 and RE Goggles lies, at least a large portion, in this question and how the M2/RC/Goggles RE communicate, especially when other than zero RF is also in the area!

Thx for any insight!

DJI, is it possible you could weigh in on this AND maybe even fix your malfunctioning code in the RE Goggles.

Reactions: droneduder
They use a DJI proprietary digital protocol called Ocusync over the 2.4 and 5.8 GHz spectrum which is not open source. The software on the goggles controls everything in this case.

DJI is the best in the business at this and your experience is not normal. You might have a defective unit. What country are you in? Do you have the same problem using just the controller and a mobile device?

One thing you mentioned about the antennae being built into the headband but my understanding is the antennae have to be mounted externally on the RE edition. Have you installed these?
D20DF65A-58C4-4BDE-8415-D5AF92D7892A.jpeg

They use a DJI proprietary digital protocol called Ocusync over the 2.4 and 5.8 GHz spectrum which is not open source. The software on the goggles controls everything in this case.

DJI is the best in the business at this and your experience is not normal. You might have a defective unit. What country are you in? Do you have the same problem using just the controller and a mobile device?

One thing you mentioned about the antennae being built into the headband but my understanding is the antennae have to be mounted externally on the RE edition. Have you installed these?
View attachment 63629
I was told that you do not use the Pagoda antenna unless your flying a FPV racing drone. Has anyone else heard this? (Mavic Pro).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flyingthe405