DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M2EZ Custom Unlock re Altitude

rangemaster728

Reactions
As a Part 107 pilot I have a job coming up that involves launching from a point at 1000’ MSL and proceeding to a facility that is 3227’ MSL.

As we know, when you are within a 400’ radius of an obstruction you may fly up to 400’ over that obstruction. This is where it gets interesting.

The maximum programmable altitude on most Mavic birds is 500 m. This particular operation is not within any defined Geo zone by DJI, but I submitted a custom unlock request anyway.

I included a sectional chart all marked up, explained that I would be operating in Class E5 airspace, and it included the take off and destination altitudes. I also included a copy of the Part 107 memorandum that indicated that individual authorizations for commercial pilots in Class E5 airspace is not necessary.

After waiting two days and not getting it unlocked, I sent a subsequent inquiry email.

DJI‘s response was:

Thank you for contacting DJI.

The unlocking area that you submitted is not in No Fly Zone, please kindly see the below picture for your reference.

For your request of unlocking height of 800m, actually the maximum unlocking height is 500m, so 800m that you requested is not available.

And for the drone models whose maximum unlocking height can be above 500m, the authorization from aviation authority or a public safety agency is necessary for application.

Hope the info will be helpful.

If you have any further question, please feel free to contact us. We're always here to help.

Since they are no help it looks like I’ll have to use my old Mavic Pro with NLD and not the Enterprise to complete this job... just can’t believe that DJI cannot change the altitude limit for an authorized pilot.

UPDATE:

Apparently the (old) MP1 has a max altitude limit of 500m...but the Enterprise birds can be unlocked for higher altitudes...just takes many, many emails to the DJI Flysafe minions to explain it 5 TIMES.

Reactions: gphinney
Removal of altitude limitations is only available for aircraft including the Matrice 200 series, Inspire 2, and Phantom 4 Pro version 2.0.

Latest response from DJI:

Kindly note that the GEO zone is designed to provide some general protection to sensitive locations around the world, not to match any particular set of regulations that apply to a certain user. We appreciate your kind understanding. Please offer the authorization from the aviation authority or a public safety agency if you need to unlock the height which exceeds 500m.

And yes, Mavic Pro cannot be unlocked for operation above 500m; All Mavic 2 series including Mavic 2 Enterprise can be unlocked for operation above 500m.

So...it appears the M2s can be unlocked by DJI...my old MP1 has had no altitude or NFZ restrictions for over a year and is the go-to tool when this happens.

Last edited:
So...it appears the M2s can be unlocked by DJI...my old MP1 has had no altitude or NFZ restrictions for over a year and is the go-to tool when this happens
It made me wonder why the M2 series aircraft are excluded from that list.
I had to run thru all kind hoops and loops to have my Matrice 200 getting unlocked, but finally, DJI got it sorted.
Maybe I try the procedure again with the M2ED

Reactions: Dronage
I know what you mean.

Out in my area it’s not uncommon to have elevation changes of several thousand feet between takeoff and inspection point.

In many places the entire flight is in class G airspace and does not require authorization of any kind.

In the “test case “ I posed DJI only a small portion of the flight near the inspection point would be in Class E airspace, which again does not require FAA authorization as it is not associated with a nearby airport.

I buried them in sectional charts, flight descriptions, FAA regulations and FAA memorandums...

Wouldn’t it be great for those of us with part 107s to get our birds a blanket unlock for altitude anywhere outside class B/C/D airspace? Then the responsibility for regulatory compliance can rest where it should in the United States, with the pilot in command.

Latest response from DJI:

Kindly note that the GEO zone is designed to provide some general protection to sensitive locations around the world, not to match any particular set of regulations that apply to a certain user. We appreciate your kind understanding. Please offer the authorization from the aviation authority or a public safety agency if you need to unlock the height which exceeds 500m.

And yes, Mavic Pro cannot be unlocked for operation above 500m; All Mavic 2 series including Mavic 2 Enterprise can be unlocked for operation above 500m.

So...it appears the M2s can be unlocked by DJI...my old MP1 has had no altitude or NFZ restrictions for over a year and is the go-to tool when this happens.
So, is the M2 altitude unlock location and time specific through an unlock code, like an NFZ, or a generic altitude unlock, once you show justification for it?

Suppose a hobbyist wants to climb a mountain from the base with his M2. Will DJI allow him to unlock it, too, if he supplies the location, and it is in unrestricted air space?

Inquiring minds want to know...

So foolish, since NLD can completely unlock altitude limits for $49 on almost any DJI aircraft, and the old Assistant 2 will do so for free, by merely modifying DJI's own flight parameters to enable mountain climbing beyond 500m.

Last edited:
is the M2 altitude unlock location and time specific through an unlock code
Yes, e.g. my M200 is unlocked for a specific region (30 km radius) and a time period (6 months)

Suppose a hobbyist wants to climb a mountain from the base with his M2. Will DJI allow him to unlock it, too, if he supplies the location, and it is in unrestricted air space?
I heavily doubt it.
When I requested first the unlock as a commercial company, I got rejected.
DJI allows only Federal state and local public safety agencies in entities to submit the request.

For the process to complete DJI wants to have:
- Completed QEP (Qualified Entities Program) application form.
- Copy of part 107 license of chief pilot that is updated on a regular basis (every 6 months) or a certificate of authorization from the FAA, or other similar flight authorization document.
- Copy of signed Terms and Conditions.
- Authorization letter on official entity letterhead from entities UAV program manager or head of entity.
- Contact information for partners UAV program manager that is updated on a regular basis (every 6 months)

Reactions: TSUPD
Yes, e.g. my M200 is unlocked for a specific region (30 km radius) and a time period (6 months)

I heavily doubt it.
DJI allows only Federal state and local public safety agencies in entities to submit the request.

- Copy of part 107 license of chief pilot that is updated on a regular basis (every 6 months) or a certificate of authorization from the FAA, or other similar flight authorization document.
- Authorization letter on official entity letterhead from entities UAV program manager or head of entity.
- Contact information for partners UAV program manager that is updated on a regular basis (every 6 months)

Thanks for the complete info! What a pain!
If I ever have the need, I guess I'll just install my NLD license on my M2P.
One stop shopping, for taking back control from DJI! ;)
Or, just use my EVO, good to 2600 feet, which is the same as the OP's 800m need.

Last edited:
Yes they intentionally put unnecessary roadblocks up for some of us.

Flights entirely within Class G airspace do not require authorization..even tho the takeoff and target points can be thousands of feet different in elevation as long as you stay beneath the overlying Class E airspace.

For two particular jobs I have coming up I’m going to have to use my old MP1 with an NLD mod to finish the job. Unfortunately the NLD altitude bypass is not available for the M2E yet.

I’m continuing my dialogue with DJI support... initially all they want to talk about is the Geo zone and since these flights do not involve their Geo zones they’re somewhat confused.

Really interesting is some flights coming up involving Class E5-E8 airspace that do not require specific FAA authorizations per use, Per an FAA memorandum:
————
Text of the Memorandum Clarifying Class E Airspace

Date: January 10, 2018
To: AJV-115From: Scott J. Gardner, Acting Manager, Emerging Technologies, AJV-115
Subject: 14 CFR 107.41 Class E Surface Area Authorizations

In reviewing Class E Surface Area authorization requirements, we determined that the Class E authorization requirement only pertains to Class E surface areas for an airport, not the Class E extensions to Class D, C and E airspaces. 14 CFR 107.41 states: “No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft in Class B, Class C, or Class D airspace or within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport unless that person has prior authorization from Air Traffic Control (ATC)”. FAA Order 7400.11B identifies the different types of Class E airspace. The only type of Class E airspace that matches the language in 107.41 is paragraph 6002, which states: “The Class E airspace areas listed below are designated as a surface area for an airport.” The others are as follows:

E1 – Class E Airspace at and above 14,500 feet MSL
E2 – Class E airspace areas designated as a surface area for an airport
E3 – Class E Airspace Areas Designated As An Extension To A Class C Surface Area
E4 – Class E Airspace Areas Designated as an Extension to a Class D or Class E Surface Area
E5 – Class E Airspace Areas Extending Upward From 700 Feet Or More Above The Surface of The Earth
E6 – En route Domestic Airspace Areas
E7 – Offshore Airspace Areas
E8 – Class E Airspace Areas Designated As Federal Airways

Therefore, effective immediately, we only need to provide authorizations for Class E airspace if the airport itself is a Class E airport. When processing applications verify that the requested airspace is listed in FAA Order 7400.11, paragraph 6200 or is indicated on a VFR sectional chart as indicated in the attachments. If the requested airspace is not listed or depicted then an authorization is not required under 14 CFR Part 107.41. The request can be cancelled and inform the applicant that an authorization is not needed for Class E extensions to Class D/C airspace.
———

DJI gets really confused when you bring this memorandum up.

Yes, this is correct and the way I went with our birds. We are unlocked to 3000m for public safety.

I heavily doubt it.

This has been a continuing issue for my SAR team. We have a number of birds, and they all need to be usable in the mountains. I wish there was a streamlined way of doing this. As it sits right now the most information I've found anywhere sits right here in this thread.

Are you operating off a COA or Part 107 for your SAR teams? If you are doing Part 107 operations, then I would consider a COA approach and you'll have better success with getting your birds unlocked for the altitude you need.
This has been a continuing issue for my SAR team. We have a number of birds, and they all need to be usable in the mountains. I wish there was a streamlined way of doing this. As it sits right now the most information I've found anywhere sits right here in this thread.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000