DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M2P Camera out of focus?

mariachi76

Reactions
Hello,

I own a M2P for about 2 years and the video quality at 4k/30p was always just stunning, crisp and clear. In recent videos I noticed that the there is lack of detail, video is not crisp and it just looks like a bit out of focus. 4K looks like 1080p scaled up.
I compared old and new video recordings of the same area and the difference is just too obvious. I checked the video files, both were 4k/29.97p with a video bitrate of around 100 MBit/s.

I attached two screenshots of a video where the difference in video quality is obvious (in both videos the drone was moving very slowly).
old.jpg is about 2 years old, new was taken today.

Any idea what could be the reason? Any wrong setting? Or is the camera damaged? At least from outside the camera looks undamaged. The drone crashed once with the front camera glass broken in April 2019, but was repaired by DJI and the video quality was still perfect afterwards as I just checked with some video recordings from may 2019. So I would exclude that. And since then there was no crash at all which could have done any damage to the drone or camera.

thanks for your support,
mariachi76

Attachments

• old.jpg
    old.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 36
  • new.jpg
    new.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:
I reset all camera settings, now the quality is perfect again.
I noted that the C-AF setting was off and is after the reset on. Maybe the M2P just didn't focus before?
In the manual I can't find much information about the cameras AF.

best regards
mariachi76

Attachments

• fixed.jpg
    fixed.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 14
Reactions: Thomas B
You probably had it set to manual focus by not turning on "auto focus continuous"

1598063106915.png

Reactions: Thomas B
I reset all camera settings, now the quality is perfect again.
I noted that the C-AF setting was off and is after the reset on. Maybe the M2P just didn't focus before?
In the manual I can't find much information about the cameras AF.

best regards
mariachi76
Glad you found the problem! Happy flying!

Yes, just a pity I found out only after a flying session at a fantastic place (where I never will return in my life):
Avatar mountains in China. Here is the link, but although the shots are not as crisp, it is still a nice video:

Best,
Mariachi76
Still looks pretty good to me. Great flying and use of perspective.

Yes, just a pity I found out only after a flying session at a fantastic place (where I never will return in my life):
Avatar mountains in China. Here is the link, but although the shots are not as crisp, it is still a nice video:

Best,
Mariachi76

At least you were able to see it with your own eyes in person

I would not recommend AFC, instead, use AF, hit a spot and then switch to MF. AFC can and will attempt to focus on soft spots, for example fog, cloud etc and many times will not give you the correct Focus. The DOF on the MP 2 is very very wide, unless you are working on something within 15 to 5 feet, I would take off, hit an object in the distance, where you know you have infinity, with AF, then switch to MF.

You really should not have to change it (focus) for the rest of flight.

Paul C

Awesome clip, regardless of resolution!

Thanks. That area is really amazing to fly. I was just a bit nervous while flying: starting from a small rock platform 1000ft above ground in the middle of a cliff. sun was blinding and I couldn't see much on the screen, and my two kids around...
but in the end it went well and still gave some beautiful shots.
best,
mariachi76

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada