DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M2P Crash some advice.

av8as_pilot

Reactions
So in intelligent mode of mavic 2 pro. performing a. Video around a freshwater lake. Took it one way fine, flew back the other way being more concerned about the video ended up 10m into trees. Only issue the tree where it landed was right on the edge of the lake. Managed to get some poles together and knock it out. Caught it in a fishing net, however I slipped and the M2P splashed on the top of the water. I dried it all off. Put it in the car and put the heating on. Left it to dry out for a few days, recalibrated it, and gimbal. Works all fine no issues at all. IMU all fine, no warnings. Sent it off to DJI just to clarify all works properly no issues. DJI come back saying total loss and we would give you another drone for 15% off, had a word then they said would give me 30% off. Still like £800 for practically a drone that’s only been flown 4 hrs. Told them to send me it back. Any recommendations on what I should do.

Personally I would take it out to a field, launch it and hover 6 foot off the ground for a minute or two to see if it is stable. Then move it left and right, backwards and forward a few feet again to check the stability. If all appears OK then try to push it a bit further.
Just use slow gentle steps until you are confident (or until it proves not to be OK).

Reactions: Simone L
Done it already mate and flew got some photos landed back down again all fine. I don’t know if anyone’s had any experience with drone dr in UK they said they would clean all the components incase they rust. Was going to send it there just to get a second opinion as they said they have dealt with water damaged drones. Only £9 for a check over and they are DJI recommended repairers. just wanted a second opinion to see if it’s a total loss even though I don’t think it is.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
Done it already mate and flew got some photos landed back down again all fine. I don’t know if anyone’s had any experience with drone dr in UK they said they would clean all the components incase they rust. Was going to send it there just to get a second opinion as they said they have dealt with water damaged drones. Only £9 for a check over and they are DJI recommended repairers. just wanted a second opinion to see if it’s a total loss even though I don’t think it is.

Just so I am clear you sent the Drone to DJI , did you tell them it went into the lake and did you rinse the unit with fresh water before you gave it to them?

It splashed on top of the freshwater lake. Sent it to DJI and said I want it checked over as I crashed it and they come back to me saying it’s a total loss.

What harm could getting a second opinion do ?

There maybe signs of corrosion which DJI could see and you can't, in which case a repairer will tell you. Or they may have scruple-deficiency and tell anyone who says "I crashed this can you check it" that their drone is for the scrap heap. I would want a second opinion because I wouldn't automatically believe that for something which looked serviceable. Did it come back with a notice saying "Dangerous do not fly" ? If they think that OK as it appears there's a risk of a sudden failure they should have said so. But with that doubt in my mind I'd also get a second opinion.

I agree, for all we know I could pay the £1000 then they dismantle the machine and reuse the gimbal on another drone which is a refurb. They said that a new or refurbished drone would be sent out.

• Sad
Reactions: itsneedtokno
They never said it is dangerous do not fly no, they sent a picture of inside with no explanation to what I’m looking at and said it’s a total loss.

They never said it is dangerous do not fly no, they sent a picture of inside with no explanation to what I’m looking at and said it’s a total loss.

Be interesting to see that picture as some of the forum members might spot the trigger on it, Can you post it. ?

I agree, for all we know I could pay the £1000 then they dismantle the machine and reuse the gimbal on another drone which is a refurb. They said that a new or refurbished drone would be sent out.
As Woody Allen would say, "Take the Money and Run." You would be getting a refurb which is like brand new for quite a big discount.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-07 at 9.22.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-07 at 9.22.00 AM.png
    184 KB · Views: 10
I am obviously unsure of your exact wording in the communication with DJI, but when dealing with people who you don't know always be very conscious of your exact wording.
Often if there is money to be made out of the unwary some will take advantage. If it had been me I would not have mentioned water but just said that it had dropped onto the ground.

I don't give ammunition to sales people!
I hope you end up with a working drone and no more hassles.

why send it off if it was working all ok in the first place, sending off a working no problem drone or anything else for that matter is just asking to be ripped off

Last edited:
They probably have a moisture indicator inside and when that shows any water intrusion, they automatically consider it a total loss. In some ways I can't blame them since issues due to water intrusion may not show up until some time later, even when everything seems fine on original inspection.

Reactions: Lansaw
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580