DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M2P how to digitally Zoom in flight...

Badgersurfer

Reactions
I do SAR with a Mavic 2 Pro. I have a smart Controller and it is a good clear screen but it would be really useful if you could digitally zoom in closer similar to when you view the video clip playback. Has anyone tried or found a way to do this?

I do SAR with a Mavic 2 Pro. I have a smart Controller and it is a good clear screen but it would be really useful if you could digitally zoom in closer similar to when you view the video clip playback. Has anyone tried or found a way to do this?
As far as I know, no. However may be with another software player app is possible but i avoid install stuff in the smart controller. As more factory you can keep it better for stability.

He is asking when view the playback clip. Not while recording.

Reactions: Badgersurfer
The only thing I can think to try (totally off the cuff) is to stop and hover, swap out the SD card with a new one, hand the one with the recording on it to someone with a tablet / laptop / device with playback capability that includes zoom.

However, I've never swapped a card during flight. This could be tested easily though.

And I just checked a couple of standard (Windows OS) playback apps and while they both had a Zoom function, neither worked on playback of a Mavic video (I don't know why)

SAR may require someone research for an appropriate app to do this, or hire a programmer that can code for an Android app to do this, and target the Smart Controller platform specifically . I believe that DJI has an SDK (Software Development Kit) for this.

Chris

With the smart controller he can share to another device by Bluetooth from the same DJI 4 app. Is a build in function. Share the video to a tablet for example. The DJI 4 app from the Smart Controller is an enhancement version with few more options than the regular version app.

How about just plug in another Monitor to the HDMI output. A bigger monitor will make it seem zoomed.
YES - THE FEELWORLD 7” 2200 NITS MONITOR IS AMAZING. ALL PICTURE WITHOUT DRONE SETTINGS/CONTROLS.

I use a iPhone X as my screen and I can blow up with my fingers just like on any photo, I had the sc and enjoyed using it but I expected more out of it than it’s capabilities so I sold it, price for what it does wasn’t worth the price.. it promised a lot in the future but hasn’t delivered

How about just plug in another Monitor to the HDMI output. A bigger monitor will make it seem zoomed.

I have a 42” Visio TV I bring to some shoots. Power it from a 12v Deep Cycle marine battery to a 1k watt Ampeak inverter and a 25’ HDMI cable. I set it up on a table under a 10’ pop-up tent. Some clients want to be onsite and see what the drone sees and direct me to specific shots/captures they want.

I also have a little 24” TV that mounts on a tripod (light stand) and has a cardboard half-hood. I use it on many shoots just for myself as it only takes a couple minutes to setup. Same power system.

Nope no good I had a CS ultra but still not what I wanted. I can land ( and maybe even hover) download the video from the M2P to the SC and view and squeeze zoom. But it would be nice to be able to do the same live as I cannot see why you could not be able to zoom the monitor whilst flying. For SAR it would be very useful. It doesn't matter about the resolution as even to see the pixels would help see movement easier.

I have a 42” Visio TV I bring to some shoots. Power it from a 12v Deep Cycle marine battery to a 1k watt Ampeak inverter and a 25’ HDMI cable. I set it up on a table under a 10’ pop-up tent. Some clients want to be onsite and see what the drone sees and direct me to specific shots/captures they want.

I also have a little 24” TV that mounts on a tripod (light stand) and has a cardboard half-hood. I use it on many shoots just for myself as it only takes a couple minutes to setup. Same power system.
When you are doing SAR you are on the move all the time.

When your doing SAR you want to zoom in on the ground I would think to look for your target.
Are you looking for live zoom and then zoom also when watching your recordings.
Live zoom is no problem with many DJI birds .

Just a note from things I see on the web (not from experience).

• The Mavic 2 Enterprise has 6x dynamic zoom. I assume dynamic means viable live on the contoller.
  • The Mavic 2 Enterprise DUAL has Thermal Imaging (though it loses the dynamic zoom).
  • Also, the Mavic 2 Zoom is listed as dynamic (4x) -- is that not visible on the controller, live?

Chris

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada