DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M2P Not Going Forward

danCER

Reactions
Hi,
I have had my M2P since it first was released and the original MP before it plus other DJI products even before the Mavics. So, I am not a novice.
I fly my M2P almost daily weather permitting and I have never had this happen before:
I was flying manually over some fields that I have flown many times before without incident. I was almost at Maximum altitude and after a couple thousand feet(distance) the Mavic would go no further. I could turn it around, move camera, but it would not go any further. I could fly it back which I did and lowered it. I tried flying in the same direction again but it went even a shorter distance(a few feet) before stopping again. I wound up landing it, then launched it again. I flew in another direction and had no issues this time but I didn't try the original path.
The sun was setting on original path but I had camera facing down.
Like I said this is a mystery to me. I checked settings and I might be wrong, but there isn't a Max Distance setting that I could see.
I fly Litchie mission all of the the time that go farther than where my drone first stalled without problems.
Any ideas?
Puzzled,
Thanks for reading and any insights!

maybe you hit a temp NFZ
Hmmm...never had No Fly Zone at my home plus I was flying with Litchie app and not DJI

I did upload csv to airdata.com and all it said was "battery 85% at max distance" but no reason why it stopped

maybe you hit a temp NFZ

That's the only thing that ever stops my M2P from flying forward. In GO4 a popup appears, maybe not so in Litchi ?? I sometimes get stopped when running into a different auth zone too.

That's the only thing that ever stops my M2P from flying forward. In GO4 a popup appears, maybe not so in Litchi ?? I sometimes get stopped when running into a different auth zone too.
Litchi doesn't report the NFZ to my knowledge, plus DJI GO 4 is not installed on my tablet just Litchi

I wonder if there is something like this for Litchi like DJI Go4:
Thanks for video...that is what I searched for on Litchi app to no avail.
Keep in mind, I was no where near max distance and I received no alert that I was.
I will try flying same place this eve and report back

Sounds like Obstacle Avoidance. You did say the sun was low after all. It isn't the main camera that is used for OA, but rather the cameras stationary to the frame. Thus having the gimbal pointing down won't fix a stubborn sun vs OA issue.
You can turn off OA in settings, or go into sport mode to also disable OA.

When OA is triggered, you should get a message specifically indicating an obstacle was encountered, or the AC braking occurred and to let go of your sticks to resume movement.

Sounds like Obstacle Avoidance. You did say the sun was low after all. It isn't the main camera that is used for OA, but rather the cameras stationary to the frame. Thus having the gimbal pointing down won't fix a stubborn sun vs OA issue.

When OA is triggered, you should get a message specifically indicating an obstacle was encountered, or the AC braking occurred and to let go of your sticks to resume movement.
Thank you, I believe you are right on the money. It did seem like obstacle avoidance but I was nearly 400 feet high! Actually, I failed to mention the controller did vibrate like when avoiding something, but I didn't look for message on controller.
Airdata did not mention the avoidance issue.
I did mention heading into the sunset though. :)
Great job, Danman32!!

I'm surprised everyone else missed that clue you provided. Two clues actually, one that the sun was low, the other referencing the main camera rather than the OA cameras. Are you sure you weren't just testing us?[emoji2]

i’m thinking obstacle avoidance also but the remote should have informed him of braking?i would still recalibrate the OA and see if that helps.

He admits the RC was vibrating but he didn't pay attention to any notices.

Recalibration may improve discernment of sun vs actual obstacle, but I suspect in this case it wouldn't have mattered.

Reactions: Bill combs
This just happened to me the other day on my MP. It was at sunrise and the MP would just stop but I did get the obstacle avoidance warning when headed toward the sun. I found I could fly backwards toward the sun or sidewards toward the sun but flying forward towards the Sun stopped and gave that warning.
I’ve flown in this situation many times without an issue, but it’s the first time I’ve flown my MP since getting my M2P and I had just updated the firmware from a much older version (and recalibrated). I guess it sees the bright low sun as an obstacle. I’m assuming the newer firmware is pickier about the bright light.

What made things worse was at one point it performed a low battery RTH from a distance and it couldn’t complete the RTH because of the obstacle. I had to cancel the RTH and bring the MP in backwards. It’s a good thing I didn’t lower the low battery warning level.

I was planning on trying the same scenario with the M2P to see if I had the same issue. And whether I get the warning message.

Hi,
I have had my M2P since it first was released and the original MP before it plus other DJI products even before the Mavics. So, I am not a novice.
I fly my M2P almost daily weather permitting and I have never had this happen before:
I was flying manually over some fields that I have flown many times before without incident. I was almost at Maximum altitude and after a couple thousand feet(distance) the Mavic would go no further. I could turn it around, move camera, but it would not go any further. I could fly it back which I did and lowered it. I tried flying in the same direction again but it went even a shorter distance(a few feet) before stopping again. I wound up landing it, then launched it again. I flew in another direction and had no issues this time but I didn't try the original path.
Like I said this is a mystery to me. I checked settings and I might be wrong, but there isn't a Max Distance setting that I could see.
I fly Litchie mission all of the the time that go farther than where my drone first stalled without problems.
Any ideas?
Puzzled,
I've had this exact thing happen to me with my MPP, I was flying around at sunrise, the sun was just peaking over, and as I flew into the sun, the RC (actually my phone, I think) vibrated in my hands, and the MPP slammed on the brakes, just like it was about to run into a wall. But there was nothing there. I rotated the aircraft around and it continued to fly fine. Blamed it on the bright sun and the sensors. I hate turning off the sensors, but I wonder if that would have helped?

Reactions: Lekke and tribar
Hi,
Any ideas?
Puzzled,
Clean your sensors if they’re dusty or have debris it’ll think there’s an object in front especially if you’re going towards the sun

I guess I should h
I'm surprised everyone else missed that clue you provided. Two clues actually, one that the sun was low, the other referencing the main camera rather than the OA cameras. Are you sure you weren't just testing us?[emoji2]
I guess I should have noticed those clues, too! :)

I have often had my Mavic Pro stop when facing into or towards the afternoon sun, which it seems to mistake for a physical obstacle. By disabling the forward obstacle avoidance in the Go 4 app. my Mavic will then fly forward in the same direction in which it had originally been unable to proceed.

Good luck,

Lorin

BUT you had mentioned it happened even with the camera pointed down so the sun rays thing was kinda ruled out - glad you got to the bottom of the issue

BUT you had mentioned it happened even with the camera pointed down so the sun rays thing was kinda ruled out - glad you got to the bottom of the issue
No it wasn't. It isn't the main camera that detects obstacles but rather the fixed cameras: two in front, two in back, two downward facing, and one on each side. Side sensors have limited use. You can completely remove the gimbal and the OA will still work.

There's also an infrared sensor on bottom and top.

Reactions: PAW and GadgetGuy
I have often had my Mavic Pro stop when facing into or towards the afternoon sun, which it seems to mistake for a physical obstacle. By disabling the forward obstacle avoidance in the Go 4 app. my Mavic will then fly forward in the same direction in which it had originally been unable to proceed.

Good luck,

Lorin
Thanks. Although I am familiar with OA being triggered by the sun, it just rarely happens to me. Usually if I get an OA alert I can see the problem. I just totally ruled out OA since I was up so high.
Just when you think you have this hobby all figured out! :)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000