DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M2P Remote Control Battery Life

gcopter1

Reactions
I've only have had my M2P for two days, haven't flown it yet due to weather.
I bought it with the Fly More Kit.
After some research, decided to upgrade the FW from .200 to the latest FW.

I have noticed, though, the battery on the RC, doesn't seem to last long.
Maybe because I used the app to upgrade the FW, but, the RC seems to drain pretty fast.

I apologize for not providing more data, what with the M2P being new to me, I have no idea how long the battery should last.

I have no idea what the RC battery should last under normal conditions.

The M2P RC battery lasts pretty long to me. I can wear out all of my 5 AC batteries, probably twice, before it getting too low on the RC.

Though it's not nearly as long as the P3P RC, so if you're coming from one of those, don't expect that kind of life.

I would give it a little more time, a couple of days with a few flights per day, before worrying too much.

Chris

My controller will last through 6-8 batteries on my M2P and still register remaining charge of 35-40%. That’s with historical use through about 5000 hours use of the controller since Jan 2019.
Just watch you read outs and have fun flying!

In my 800 M2 flights I have never gotten more than 4 full battery flights out of a fully charged RC. I RTH fly and always land at 15-17% AC battery remaining. My stats.

Reactions: Zyze
I have noticed, though, the battery on the RC, doesn't seem to last long.

Are you using an iOS/Apple device? Your controller may be charging your device.
There is a seeting for it in DJI Go4: Remote Controller Settings -> Charging mode.
Obviously charging the device will drain the RC faster.

That doesn't apply to Android as this setting is not available on any Android devices.

Last edited:
I can wear out all of my 5 AC batteries, probably twice, before it getting too low on the RC.
My controller will last through 6-8 batteries on my M2P and still register remaining charge of 35-40%.

Wow, that's a major improvement in controller battery life over the MP (M1P).
I see the M2P controller battery is listed on the DJI specs as 3950mAh, that is actually larger than the flight battery (3850mAh) !!

M1P specs advise its controller lipo is only 2970mAh, so that explains that !!

In my 800 M2 flights I have never gotten more than 4 full battery flights out of a fully charged RC.

This is my experience with the M1P controller, lasts my 4 batteries nicely.

Are you possibly having the 'android device being charged from the controller' issue too as above post #5 ?

Wow, that's a major improvement in controller battery life over the MP (M1P).
I see the M2P controller battery is listed on the DJI specs as 3950mAh, that is actually larger than the flight battery (3850mAh) !!

M1P specs advise its controller lipo is only 2970mAh, so that explains that !!

This is my experience with the M1P controller, lasts my 4 batteries nicely.

Are you possibly having the 'android device being charged from the controller' issue too as above post #5 ?
Yes I fly with Android. I know it charges and there's nothing I can do about that. I always fly with phone at 100% charge (which RC maintains) and that seems to help a little but not enough for 5 flights.

Are you using an iOS/Apple device? Your controller may be charging your device.
There is a seeting for it in DJI Go4: Remote Controller Settings -> Charging mode.
Obviously charging the device will drain the RC faster.

That doesn't apply to Android as this setting is not available on any Android devices.
Using a Samsung S9.

My controller will last through 6-8 batteries on my M2P and still register remaining charge of 35-40%. That’s with historical use through about 5000 hours use of the controller since Jan 2019.
Just watch you read outs and have fun flying!

5000 hours since January 2019 ... Wow ...
When you slept ...?
8 batteries and you still have 35% :oops::oops:

The M2P RC battery lasts pretty long to me. I can wear out all of my 5 AC batteries, probably twice, before it getting too low on the RC.

Though it's not nearly as long as the P3P RC, so if you're coming from one of those, don't expect that kind of life.

I would give it a little more time, a couple of days with a few flights per day, before worrying too much.

Chris

I understand that your RC battery lasts 10 batteries ..? o_O:eek::eek::eek:

The battery of my RC controller lasts 4 batteries in P Mode, I use an Android tablet ... and you know .... DJI has forgotten to include the power bank mode shutdown button in DJI Go 4 for Android .. ..
It is something that Dji must solve ... By using Android, your RC remote will have a lower "Life" and duration ... We do not deserve this ... especially when we have paid the same as Ios users ..
My workgroup colleagues ... use Ios / Ipad and can turn off the power bank function ... They arrive at 6 batteries before entering a critical 15% (beeps warning) battery on your remote RC

You have to understand that there are many, many variants of Android, and many require seeing voltage on the USB to detect it's presence and enable data. DJI can't control that so they opted not to allow disabling power to the USB on Android version on app rather than get complaints that the RC won't connect to the Android.

Even if it was available and default was "enabled", if one had an Android that requires power from the RC, if someone disabled the power, the app would be disconnected from the RC with no way to re-enable the required power.

Thanks DanMan32 for your response.
But let me not share the same opinion ...
At this point of the 21st century, I believe that there is NO computer or software structure problem that a good architect / software programmer can not solve ... if you want ... of course ...
It is known that DJI prefers to work in the IOS environment ... but it should not be forgotten that if you can work your devices on Android (your smart RC controller works based on Android ..) You must do it with the same options and properties, both for Android and IOS ... If your App Dji go 4, works at 80% on Android ... Or you should not allow it to be installed on an Android support (enabling alert, like many augmented reality applications .. that if your device is not compatible ... do not let you install your app), or you should also warn that your preference and functionality at 100%, will only be functional in IOS systems ...

IOS and hardware is completely controlled by Apple. There are no third party variants. Therefore there's a predictable behavior in removing power from USB, and predictable way to do it.
Not so with Android. Since some Android based products may require power to USB for the Android to recognize the USB connection, not only would allowing power to be turned off disconnect the USB, there would not be a way for the app to command the power to be restored; the app is disconnected from the RC.

You can get apps that can force the Android to refuse power from USB, but likely you'll need to root the Android.

Therefore there is that possibility ... (logical ..)
(Only the USB port should be debugged)
Another thing is that they are reliable.
Dji should explain to his clients these details of his application.
Here in Europe ... it would be considered a consumer hoax ... with its legal repercussions ...

Last edited:
It just occured to me: even for the iOS, it probably isn't the RC that's cutting off power but rather the iOS API allowing the device to not take a charge. Androids likely don't have an official API to provide that function. People confuse the USB option "Charge Only" with the non-existent "Don't Charge". The former means to charge the Android but ignore making a data connection.

Why would it be a hoax? DJI never said you could disable an Android from adhering to normal USB standards, which is to provide the target with up to 500mA of current. To my knowledge DJI also didn't state how many flights you could get out of a single RC charge.
it seems your beef isn't with DJI but rather with Google who publish Android and those licensing and using Android for the OS of gtheir products. You might have somewhat of a leg for SC and CS though, since it is DJI's own hardware and usage of Android.

Update.
Ok, so today, finally, I was able to find the time and weather, to fly the drone.

To recap, FW is up to date on both the drones and all three batteries.

Initially, I tried to take off with only the RC and the goggles.
It did but, I couldn't use the C1/2 buttons (as I previously programmed) to disable obstacle avoidance.

I launch my drone from a balcony, no problem, but, when I come back for a landing, the obstacle avoidance stops the drone from flying over the railing and land on my balcony.
Had to connect my S9 phone to the RC, go into the settings and disable obstacle avoidance.

When the phone is connected to the RC, it does drain the RC battery.
Don't know how or where to disable that.

Might have to look for an iPad to overcome this crap.

While on the subject, is there a particular reason why the iPad mini 4 is the preferred one over the others?

Might have to look for an iPad to overcome this crap.

While on the subject, is there a particular reason why the iPad mini 4 is the preferred one over the others?
Actually, either the Mini 5 or the latest 9.7” iPad would be the preferred iOS devices, as being the newest, they have faster hardware needed to handle the complex tasks of GO 4 and would be running the latest iOS version. I prefer the 9.7” size, as it has a larger screen, distributes the weight better, and cools better. The Mini feels heavier to me because the weight is much more centered.

Reactions: gcopter1
Update.

The RC control of the M2P is designed, almost exclusively so that between its clamps / arms of the control, open to its maximum extent, perfectly fits an Ipad Mini, without the need of any other accessory ...

Attachments

• 2019-10-22 11_12_26-HOW TO_ DJI Mavic with iPad Mini - YouTube.png
    2019-10-22 11_12_26-HOW TO_ DJI Mavic with iPad Mini - YouTube.png
    802.5 KB · Views: 3
The RC control of the M2P is designed, almost exclusively so that between its clamps / arms of the control, open to its maximum extent, perfectly fits an Ipad Mini, without the need of any other accessory ...
Indeed. However, there are very capable aftermarket tablet adapters like this sturdy metal one for $17 that folds completely flat when not in use, and will accommodate a full sized 9.7” iPad.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka