DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M2P variable sharpness

Huckleberry

Reactions
I've seen a few posts on here from folks that had noticed the sharpness of their pictures varied in different parts of their shots. I'm curious how many are noticing this? I may be having the same issue so i'm wondering if this is a wide spread issue.

You either see it or don't. If you don't see it why worry about it. Take a still picture of a brick wall for example from about 25 feet, do you see a problem?

Reactions: brettbrandon
My M2P is going back for that very reason. @parkgt has an great idea as that is one of the things I used to send to DJI to show the problem. If you want to check for distortion, make sure you are at a right angle to the wall.

Reactions: parkgt
Almost all cameras generally have a sharper image in the centre of the frame and softer corners and edges. If it is assymetrical though, e.g. the left side of the frame is softer than the right, there is likely to be an alignment problem between the lens and the image sensor. This can only be fixed by getting the drone serviced.

My M2P is going back for that very reason. @parkgt has an great idea as that is one of the things I used to send to DJI to show the problem. If you want to check for distortion, make sure you are at a right angle to the wall.
Distortion isn't an issue that can be remedied by getting the drone 'fixed', as it is an inherent part of the lens design. It is corrected by a lens correction profile though in the DNG and JPG files.

You either see it or don't. If you don't see it why worry about it. Take a still picture of a brick wall for example from about 25 feet, do you see a problem?

I need to do this. I feel like I notice it in pictures and it always seems to be the same upper left quadrant of the picture.

Distortion isn't an issue that can be remedied by getting the drone 'fixed', as it is an inherent part of the lens design. It is corrected by a lens correction profile though in the DNG and JPG files.
The regular lens distortion, yes.
What I am referring to is irregular distortion as shown in the lower left of this pic. This is with the Hasselblad corrections applied... And yes the wall is straight.
If I was looking for distortion I would have shot at a right angle to the wall but it was shot for softness and then noticed the distortion.

The regular lens distortion, yes.
What I am referring to is irregular distortion as shown in the lower left of this pic. This is with the Hasselblad corrections applied... And yes the wall is straight.

if wall was, it is not why an image would be.
it is not a distortion you see here. it is because focal plane of the image is not parallel to the object. a usual thing in the architectural photography, when the building is in the frame, but camera is not at the middle of the object or not aligned perfectly. to compensate for that you need a lens with a tilt-shift element -

with drones it can be done my moving drone to an appropriate point and making sure you align it as well as it can be, but, when camera is at the angle from a horizon looking down a bit you will always have some misalignment of the perspective.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore