DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M2P worth keeping 2022?

Foley909

Reactions
Happy New Years everyone and thank you for welcoming me to the forum. I'm having a bit of a dilemma.. I recently crashed my M2P and needed immediate backup so I purchased an Air 2S while the M2P is being addressed. The Air 2S is great.. It's got better resolution, lighter package, wider frame, new Occusink etc but I do miss the variable aperture which I'll admit, I did not use that often on the M2P. I just got my brand new replacement M2P in the mail today and am considering selling it with all my accessories but doing a double take as well. I realize removing the plastic from the box will lessen the value which is why I'm hesitant about flying it today. I don't really need two almost identical drones and thoughts of getting the M3 are lessening due to no waypoints being offered on it's drawing board...

So, to keep or not to keep the ol' mighty M2P?!? Anyone good at making decisions?

Reactions: Droniac
M2P is a great drone.... its a better unit for waypoints flying because it fully integrates with Litchi instead of relying on the virtual sticks method you will have to use with the Air 2S.

Other than that I see no reason to keep the Mavic 2 Pro even though its a great bird unless you are committed to having a backup.

It uses Go 4 which I prefer to the FLY app. Good time to get top dollar though.

I personally am not tempted to trade in everything for the M3 and get new everything else, batteries and filters and other accessories that fit only a single model.

But if I had a factory sealed box, the temptation would certainly be there.

Still though, you would have all of the out-of-box accessories to repurchase too.

Chris

Just because the M2P can do onboard missions I am keeping it. Is a tank as well.

I own both the M2P and the Air2S. I really enjoy flying both of these drones. They do have some distinct differences and as such I decided to keep mine and I am really glad I did. When I go flying, I usually take both and end up flying both.

Here is a short list of what the M2P can do, that the AIr2s cannot:

As previously mentioned, wav points are better.
Variable aperture (F 2.8-F11) vs F 2.8 in the Air2s
ATTI mode - It is a blast to fly in this mode and also works well for video - not available in the Air2S as far as I know
(You do need to go into the software settings to change the switch, but not a bid deal)
Because the M2P is heavier, it is more stable in windy conditions (When I have both drones with me and it is windy, I trust the M2P over the AIr2S)

A few things I really like about the Air2S:
The cameras in both drones are great. I really like the digital zoom capability that the Air2S has - even though the video quality is degraded during the zoom.
The Air2s has better resolutions for video which I appreciate.
Master shots are pretty cool
Because the Air2s is smaller, I only take it with me when traveling on a plane. If I am on a road trip, both drones go with me.

One final thought. I am a photographer and it is great to have a backup drone in case one drone has an issue or (Yikes) I crashed it.

You may forget the flying time in the Air2S and cheaper batteries, 60FPS, OC3. For stability, i guess both are the same.

I am keeping my MP2 and I also own a Mavic 3 Cine.

I will be using both drone for a while, for work. at least until everyone else get onboard with the Mavic 3 software and upgrades.

Reactions: Droniac and zeusfl
I own both the M2P and the Air2S. I really enjoy flying both of these drones. They do have some distinct differences and as such I decided to keep mine and I am really glad I did. When I go flying, I usually take both and end up flying both.

Here is a short list of what the M2P can do, that the AIr2s cannot:

As previously mentioned, wav points are better.
Variable aperture (F 2.8-F11) vs F 2.8 in the Air2s
ATTI mode - It is a blast to fly in this mode and also works well for video - not available in the Air2S as far as I know
(You do need to go into the software settings to change the switch, but not a bid deal)
Because the M2P is heavier, it is more stable in windy conditions (When I have both drones with me and it is windy, I trust the M2P over the AIr2S)

A few things I really like about the Air2S:
The cameras in both drones are great. I really like the digital zoom capability that the Air2S has - even though the video quality is degraded during the zoom.
The Air2s has better resolutions for video which I appreciate.
Master shots are pretty cool
Because the Air2s is smaller, I only take it with me when traveling on a plane. If I am on a road trip, both drones go with me.

One final thought. I am a photographer and it is great to have a backup drone in case one drone has an issue or (Yikes) I crashed it.
Very informative, thank you!

Happy New Years everyone and thank you for welcoming me to the forum. I'm having a bit of a dilemma.. I recently crashed my M2P and needed immediate backup so I purchased an Air 2S while the M2P is being addressed. The Air 2S is great.. It's got better resolution, lighter package, wider frame, new Occusink etc but I do miss the variable aperture which I'll admit, I did not use that often on the M2P. I just got my brand new replacement M2P in the mail today and am considering selling it with all my accessories but doing a double take as well. I realize removing the plastic from the box will lessen the value which is why I'm hesitant about flying it today. I don't really need two almost identical drones and thoughts of getting the M3 are lessening due to no waypoints being offered on it's drawing board...

So, to keep or not to keep the ol' mighty M2P?!? Anyone good at making decisions?
Doesn’t the M3 lack tripod mode?

M3 in Cine Mode, speed 1m / sec, ie about the same speed as M2 Pro in Tripod Mode, conclusion, yes M3 has Tripod Mode.
The M2P has a Cinematic mode as well. It's not exactly the same as Tripod mode. If I remember right, Tripod mode just slows things down, but the stick movements still respond immediately; while Cinematic mode applies a smoothing curve over parameters, so it's both slower and stick movements are respond sluggishly (to keep sticks from making video jerky). Breaking in Cinematic mode is much slower than tripod mode.

The M2P has a Cinematic mode as well. It's not exactly the same as Tripod mode. If I remember right, Tripod mode just slows things down, but the stick movements still respond immediately; while Cinematic mode applies a smoothing curve over parameters, so it's both slower and stick movements are respond sluggishly (to keep sticks from making video jerky). Breaking in Cinematic mode is much slower than tripod mode.
You are probably right in what you say about the softness of the photography in Tripod Mode, my answer was more directed at what the EU rules say about flying in low speed mode, here the EU rules do not affect photography, everything has to do with the drone's speed close to folk.
Rule 1: 1
Namely,
When flying near uninvolved persons, the remote pilot should hold the drone at one
horizontal distance not lower than the flight altitude.

Can you get attached to a sUAV? Yup. M2P was my first “real drone”. We know each other well. It’s a keeper for me as I’ll need an M3 backup … as I slowly make the purchase. Flysafe and Godspeed, Droniac (with an air2s in the hangar I guess I’d sell the M2P especially as it sounds like an eventual M3 might be your next purchase. Flysafe, Godspeed Droniac

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580