DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M2Pro or Phantom 4 v2?

Klersch

Reactions
Hi all,
I have my Part 107 and do some work taking photos for real estate and insurance inspections. I have a M2 Zoom, but I need to get a drone that will take 20 mp pictures. I have been leaning towards the M2Pro, just because the batteries and other accessories are interchangeable. Any recommendations? I was flying the zoom today and the wind was blowing a bit. I never got any warnings but the video footage was pretty unstable. Is the Phantom better in breezy conditions? Thanks for your thoughts.

Reactions: Marv McCarthy
its strange that the footage was moving around , it must have been quite gusty the mavics are normally rock solid
the Phantom would be more stable but at a price and would be more bulky to carry around
also the phantom is not exactly the quietest drone on the block, so would attract more attention from joe public

Hi all,
I have my Part 107 and do some work taking photos for real estate and insurance inspections. I have a M2 Zoom, but I need to get a drone that will take 20 mp pictures. I have been leaning towards the M2Pro, just because the batteries and other accessories are interchangeable. Any recommendations? I was flying the zoom today and the wind was blowing a bit. I never got any warnings but the video footage was pretty unstable. Is the Phantom better in breezy conditions? Thanks for your thoughts.
I do have a phantom, and older phantom 4. I recently added the M2P. As I am just now starting to learn about air photog, I can not comment on quality. But I can comment on 2 other factors.

Compared to my P4 I find the M2P a very stable bird in the air, with little to no wobble. I also see this reflected in the video I take, it is very stable even when I do silly things while flying.

My P4, while I have always considered it a stable bird, looks like a bull in a shop compared to the M2P. As far as video and photo quality, not fair to compare as I feel the M2P has far better quality. Video and photos almost look fake thats how clear they are.
My only real complaint about the M2P, is it is hard as heck to see it in the sky.

Hi all,
The Mavic and Phantom produce similar image quality and their stability should be approximately equal too.
It would have to be very rough up in the air to shake up the video.
Even in strong gusty conditions, the gimbal should keep things pretty smooth.
I'd wonder about your gimbal settings

Having two drones that use the same batteries and charger is a sensible idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pontoon-pilot
its strange that the footage was moving around , it must have been quite gusty the mavics are normally rock solid

Could be with the OPs M2 being a zoom, he may have had the zoom in use a little, and that would make photos / video a lot more susceptible to instability / blur and so on.

My sons P3 seems fairly good in wind, but you'd think the M2 would be as good or better being more streamlined.
The gimbal does all the work, amazing watching any DJI drone just in front of you, getting wind jostled, and yet the screen shows still vision.

I would definitely go for the M2P, using same batteries, charging, etc, fantastic flexibility.
You will need new filters (if you use them), but that's about it.

edit typo

Last edited:
Hi all,
The photo quality of the P4PV2 and M2Pro are about the same yes. Video is different but I won’t get into that discussion here. The Mavic is surprisingly much better at holding a hover than the Phantom 4 Pro but the Phantom is less bothered by wind when moving. Just doesn’t stay put as well. Mavic 2 may be the best DJI drone at holding a hover ever.

If you are just doing photos and not video I don’t see a great reason to get the Phantom over the Mavic especially since you can swap batteries with the Zoom.

I bet this is the answer good thinking
Yep, I was zoomed in. Normally I just do photos, but my neighbor is getting a new house built. I was just playing around while the block workers were building the walls, hovering in place to do a time lapse. When they put on the trusses I won’t use the zoom Function.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Hi all,
I have 6 batteries for my m2p = 900.00.
Do you really want to lug the P4 around?

Hi all,
The only advantage I can see for the P4v2 is that it has a mechanical shutter and also supports the 4K 60fps video mode. The mechanical shutter can be an advantage for some mapping applications from what I understand. I have a M2P and am quite happy with it, no plans for the P4v2. Portability and low noise are also advantages to the M2P. It is almost the perfect balance of features, stability and image quality in my opinion.

The shutter is a somewhat contrived advantage. Electronic shutter are used in high end DSLRs and work just fine.
All videos use it.
Just one more piece of hardware to break.

Hi all,
Get an Autel Evo 2 Pro. Solid in high winds great autonomous flight modes and picture quality with up to 8x zoom

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929