DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M2Pro vs Air2s prop noise

zlek131

Reactions
Recently added Air2s to my drone collection, M2Pro being my original drone. After some YouTube videos and some reading, my understanding was that pretty much both drones make about equal amount of prop noise. Rumor of Air2s being quieter than M2Pro, is not true and Air2s noise does have a slight different pitch. Well, I am not an audio expert but I do fly both drones all the time and without a doubt, the Air2s prop noise is much louder. That’s based on my hearing, my wife’s hearing and the number of people that look up into the sky when they hear it. At 250 feet I can say that pretty much no one is looking for the M2Pro, while just the opposite for the Air2s. At 300 feet I can’t hear the M2Pro, while I certainly can hear the Air2s. Both drones have OEM DJI props, silver tips on the M2Pro and orange tips on Air2s. Wanted to know if other M2Pro/Air2s pilots have noticed the same thing?

Unless I missed them (after searching for a quite a while), I did not find any threads on this specific topic.

Thank you in advance for your feedback!

I feel my Air 2S is quieter than my Mavic 2 was and now I have the Master Airscrew props installed and feel it is quieter still. We are only talking about a couple of decibels and the pitch of a drone can be more or less pleasing so your results may vary.

Recently added Air2s to my drone collection, M2Pro being my original drone. After some YouTube videos and some reading, my understanding was that pretty much both drones make about equal amount of prop noise. Rumor of Air2s being quieter than M2Pro, is not true and Air2s noise does have a slight different pitch. Well, I am not an audio expert but I do fly both drones all the time and without a doubt, the Air2s prop noise is much louder. That’s based on my hearing, my wife’s hearing and the number of people that look up into the sky when they hear it. At 250 feet I can say that pretty much no one is looking for the M2Pro, while just the opposite for the Air2s. At 300 feet I can’t hear the M2Pro, while I certainly can hear the Air2s. Both drones have OEM DJI props, silver tips on the M2Pro and orange tips on Air2s. Wanted to know if other M2Pro/Air2s pilots have noticed the same thing?

Unless I missed them (after searching for a quite a while), I did not find any threads on this specific topic.

Thank you in advance for your feedback!
Just replaced the props on my Air 2S with the new stealth props from Master AirScrew. They are noticeably quieter.

Reactions: Fplvert
I also replaced my MP2 props with MAS props and do notice the difference. More of a pitch thing then anything else to me.

Reactions: Fplvert
Just replaced the props on my Air 2S with the new stealth props from Master AirScrew. They are noticeably quieter.
Well...... I ordered the MAS props for my M2Pro a while back, but after a total disappointment from MAS (sent the wrong prop configuration, props were rough around the edges to say the least, and 1 of 4 sets was very discolored) I called them and complained. To their credit they sent me a new set that actually fit and looked much better, however I never used them as I can’t get myself to trust their props on $2K drone after that experience. Feel the same re putting them on my new $1.5K drone.

Back to the subject, I still think Air2s is louder than M2Pro.

I recommend testing them with a dB meter before saying one or the other is actually louder than the other. A lower tone can certainly create the perception that they’re quieter but other threads/posts that I have read have eluded to an insignificant loss of dB between factory and MAS props when tested with a dB meter. My understanding is the MAS props are a lower tone but not necessarily lower dB. This does provide the perception that they’re quieter when in fact they aren’t. That said, typically a lower tone is less annoying to those who don’t appreciate our hobby.
Not having performed a dB test myself, my opinion is my M2P is louder than my A2S both with factory props on them. The M2P props having a longer blade length than the A2S have the capability of being louder simply because the tips are moving at a higher rate of speed through the air at the same rpm. Given the same specs (chord length, root diameter and pitch), the only real way to reduce dB, as my experience with single engine manned aircraft has brought me, would be to increase the number of blades per prop which allows for shorter blades that can provide the same or very similar performance yet the tips would move at a slower speed through the air at the same rpm. If you’ve ever heard a Cessna 185 climbing out just after takeoff, there’s a significant difference in dB at the same performance between a 2-bladed and 3-bladed prop on the same aircraft due to the former breaking the sound barrier under full throttle in climbing configuration.
Food for thought.

I also replaced my MP2 props with MAS props and do notice the difference. More of a pitch thing then anything else to me.
I agree, it is a pitch difference. I use the MAS and the pitch is definitely lower.

Reactions: dirkclod
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BRUNO.CARDOSO