DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M3 only 16:9 aspect ratio for landscape? No 3:2?

kanesimages

Reactions
I received my M3 yesterday and I’m already disappointed. Am I missing something? Please tell me this 3000.00 drone isn’t sharing the same aspect ratios as the 800.00 Air 2? A 4:3 and 16:9?

Where’s the 3:2, like the Mavic 2? Like the Air 2 S? Like any DSLR camera on planet earth? I really hope I’m wrong.

4:3 hence the name mFT is the native aspect ratio of the sensor ... so if you want to have 3:2, you can already clip it yourself in post (for JPEG I assume). But for now, there's no built-in selector.

BTW: The Mavic 2 had a 1 inch sensor at 3:2 aspect ratio (which I very much prefer from the frame coming from SLR).

4:3 hence the name mFT is the native aspect ratio of the sensor ... so if you want to have 3:2, you can already clip it yourself in post (for JPEG I assume). But for now, there's no built-in selector.

BTW: The Mavic 2 had a 1 inch sensor at 3:2 aspect ratio (which I very much prefer from the frame coming from SLR).
Thanks. Makes sense, just very disappointing. Much prefer the 3:2.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Me too, still you can crop it to 3:2 but it always felt strange when I had a 4:3 sensor in my hands for testing while shooting. Maybe DJI is adding another aspect option in the menus so you can estimate it directly on the screen. But who knows, how complicated that might be for them.😆

Thanks. Makes sense, just very disappointing. Much prefer the 3:2.
Why? Storing a 4:3 (5280 × 3956) 20.9 MP image gives you the choice to keep 4:3 or crop to 3:2, which lets you also tweak the framing. The M2P is (5472 × 3648) and while a little wider is only 20.0 MP.

Why? Storing a 4:3 (5280 × 3956) 20.9 MP image gives you the choice to keep 4:3 or crop to 3:2, which lets you also tweak the framing. The M2P is (5472 × 3648) and while a little wider is only 20.0 MP.
The thing is, if you want to compose it in 3:2 directly, there's no guide lines or fixed aspect ratio yet to chose from.
I don't understand, why such basic tweaks are missing ...

Just one small correction to some of the above comments, the "M" or "Micro" part of the Micro Four Thirds terminology refers only to an actual lens mount, there is no such thing as a MFT or "Micro" Four Thirds sensor as they are all just 4/3 or Four Thirds sensors. You don't see the "Micro" terminology in DJI's literature because it does not have an interchangeable lens mount using that design.

I have decided (if) I break down and purchase the M3, to wait until all the firmware updates are ready in Jan.

4:3 hence the name mFT is the native aspect ratio of the sensor
The four thirds sensor name is completely unrelated to the 4:3 image/sensor format.
If sensor size names were arrived at that way, the original Mavic pro would also have a 4/3 sensor.
It has a 4:3 aspect ratio but the sensor size is 1/2.3”.

The names for sensor sizes are counter-intuitive as they have nothing to do with the actual size of the sensor.

This from Wikipedia explains how this happened.
Sensor sizes are expressed in inches notation because at the time of the popularization of digital image sensors they were used to replace video camera tubes. The common 1" outside diameter circular video camera tubes have a rectangular photo sensitive area about 16 mm on the diagonal, so a digital sensor with a 16 mm diagonal size is a 1" video tube equivalent. The name of a 1" digital sensor should more accurately be read as "one inch video camera tube equivalent" sensor. Current digital image sensor size descriptors are the video camera tube equivalency size, not the actual size of the sensor. For example, a 1" sensor has a diagonal measurement of 16 mm.[26][27]

Sizes are often expressed as a fraction of an inch, with a one in the numerator, and a decimal number in the denominator. For example, 1/2.5 converts to 2/5 as a simple fraction, or 0.4 as a decimal number. This "inch" system gives a result approximately 1.5 times the length of the diagonal of the sensor. This "optical format" measure goes back to the way image sizes of video cameras used until the late 1980s were expressed, referring

Last edited:
@Meta4
You are late for the party.;)
The M3 is using a sensor development we all know from the mFT world (and everyone by now knows it's the Panasonic/Olympus [and former Kodak] system world of lens mount, lenses and sensors) and literally every mFT native output for the consumer has been 4:3 however the sensor size's diagonal is shorter as you quoted.

The image sensor of Four Thirds and MFT measures 18 mm × 13.5 mm (22.5 mm diagonal), with an imaging area of 17.3 mm × 13.0 mm (21.6 mm diagonal), comparable to the frame size of 110 film.[3] Its area, ca. 220 mm2, is approximately 30% less than the APS-C sensors used in other manufacturers' DSLRs; it is around 9 times larger than the 1/2.3" sensors typically used in compact digital cameras.

The Four Thirds system uses a 4:3 image aspect ratio, like compact digital cameras. In comparison, DSLRs usually adhere to the 3:2 aspect ratio of the traditional 35 mm format. Thus, "Four Thirds" refers to both the size and the aspect ratio of the sensor.[4] However, the chip diagonal is shorter than 4/3 of an inch; the 4/3 inch designation for this size of sensor dates back to the 1950s and vidicon tubes, when the external diameter of the camera tube was measured, not the active area.

I very well know and understand that the sensor size is not necessarily related to the final output aspect ratio, but considering costs of output of such chips, they are closely designed to this. From the well known 35 mm film, we all know where the 3:2 aspect ratio and the "full frame sensor" (however I never call it like that) has its roots. 4:3 is an approximation like many things in daily life.😂

Last edited:
Reactions: justcruisin
@Meta4
You are late for the party.;)
The M3 is using a sensor development we all know from the mFT world (and everyone by now knows it's the Panasonic/Olympus [and former Kodak] system world of lens mount, lenses and sensors) and literally every mFT native output for the consumer has been 4:3 however the sensor size's diagonal is shorter as you quoted.

I very well know and understand that the sensor size is not necessarily related to the final output aspect ratio, but considering costs of output of such chips, they are closely designed to this. From the well known 35 mm film, we all know where the 3:2 aspect ratio and the "full frame sensor" (however I never call it like that) has its roots. 4:3 is an approximation like many things in daily life.😂
Late to the party ???
You said: 4:3 hence the name mFT is the native aspect ratio of the sensor ..
.... which I corrected, since the 4/3" sensor is not named for the 4:3 aspect ratio of the sensor.

I can't see the relevance of your response.

Reactions: Johnmcl7
Late to the party ???
.... which I corrected, since the 4/3" sensor is not named for the 4:3 aspect ratio of the sensor.

I think the relevance is that this particular sensor (which they named "FourThirds") was developed by Olympus, and their US Product Manager stated in an interview in 2002 that the name referred to both for the size and aspect ratio, which was why they didn't call it a "4/3 inch" sensor.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Late to the party ???

Then you didn't follow the link [4] I highlighted in orange ... so be it.
Maybe you get the relevance ... as this in not an unrelated deduction of (m)FT.💡

I hope that the January firmware and/or a Fly app update includes a 3:2 option. At a minimum there needs to be an onscreen guide.

After 5 years using the P4P, all my recurring jobs are delivered at 3:2, so I have to crop dozens of photos from every shoot to maintain consistency if I use the M3.

I already can’t use it for orthomosaic photos of large construction sites.

The P4P has a 4:3 option for its 3:2 sensor, so providing a 3:2 option for the M3’s 4:3 sensor.

Reactions: Point Zero
Late to the party ???

The Four Thirds system name did derive from the size (aspect ratio) of the sensor. MFT is a new system using a smaller mount with the same sensor.

The Four Thirds system name did derive from the size (aspect ratio) of the sensor. MFT is a new system using a smaller mount with the same sensor.
Size and aspect ratio are different parameters. The four thirds name derived from the size, not the aspect ratio, even though the aspect ratio was 4:3.

Reactions: Meta4
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent