DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M3 Zoom isn't fluid???

hagman23

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I know that the "explore mode" camera isn't really for anything of high quality on the Mavic 3, but this jump in video while zooming in/out is garbage. Or, does my Mavic 3 have a malfunctioning 2nd lens/camera? I can't attach a video to the post.

Reactions: maven4336
I know that the "explore mode" camera isn't really for anything of high quality on the Mavic 3, but this jump in video while zooming in/out is garbage. Or, does my Mavic 3 have a malfunctioning 2nd lens/camera? I can't attach a video to the post.
The Mavic 3 zoom uses the 4/3 camera from 1x to 4x zoom, it then switches to the Tele camera which starts at 7x before zooming in increments to 28x. The jump you are experiencing is from 4x to 7x when it changes camera. Its very detrimental to making good video.

The Mavic 3 zoom uses the 4/3 camera from 1x to 4x zoom, it then switches to the Tele camera which starts at 7x before zooming in increments to 28x. The jump you are experiencing is from 4x to 7x when it changes camera. Its very detrimental to making good video.
Thanks for the info - at least I know it’s not just mine… smh

Reactions: maven4336
The SC has the wheel that allows you to zoom more smooth like , and has the Pinch to zoom on the Screen.
@zeusfl has videos of RTH using the SC at 35 mph which the standard controller does not have that speed. But the zoom has issues none the less . Air 2S has better zoom .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic 3 In the Rain.

I am sure the zoom quality will be improved with future firmware. I am very confident on that.
The new DJI RC Pro allow you to gain speed of RTH by pushing forward the right stick up to 35MPH if you have it in sport mode. The normal RTH speed is 28Mph.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
It's not really zooming at all.
It's just cropping the image to show you smaller portions of it.
That's the nature of digital zoom.

zeusfl has videos of RTH using the SC at 35 mph which the standard controller does not have that speed.
That's puzzling as the speed of RTH is set by the drone, not the controller.
Unless he gave it some joystick input for a speed boost, but you can do that with any controller.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
That's puzzling as the speed of RTH is set by the drone, not the controller.
Unless he gave it some joystick input for a speed boost, but you can do that with any controller.
Going to confirm this with @zeusfl tomorrow. I dont have the SC yet but he is trying to convince me otherwise. lol
Will have him update the thread to confirm , maybe with a video from him also.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

How does the Mavic 2 Zoom compare to the Air 2S?
I have owned both I would take a zoomed image from the Air 2S over the Mavic 2 Zoom just about every time. The Air 2S has a 1" sensor with a higher resolution so even when your subject is digitally cropped it still retains good detail. The Mavic 2 Zoom has a 1/2.3 inch sensor so it is really only good for its 2X optical zoom..... if you want to zoom further then you have to pick a lower resolution and your images start to fall apart. But both drones involve compromises to make their zoom happen and they are of limited use in this fashion.

Reactions: Steve Langford
I find the zoom operation fine. It is the most important feature of the 3 for me. I rarely use many of the other features.

Reactions: bonzo
That is how it was designed, there is nothing wrong with your M3. I like that feature a lot, btw.

Reactions: bonzo
The January firmware update will eliminate the jump between cameras when zooming. This is confirmed to me by DJI.

Reactions: bonzo and hagman23
The January firmware update will eliminate the jump between cameras when zooming. This is confirmed to me by DJI.
That are really good news.

I haven’t even looked at the zoom yet. If I want digital zoom I will do it in post where I have more control and time.

Reactions: Howard70
Can you tell DJI to include an added scroll wheel to the standard remote in the January firmware release. Seems like they're really trying to solve a lot of issues with that release, so might as well solve a big one: missing controller functionality. /s

Can you tell DJI to include an added scroll wheel to the standard remote in the January firmware release. Seems like they're really trying to solve a lot of issues with that release, so might as well solve a big one: missing controller functionality. /s
They already have a fix. It's $1200. As to eliminating the "jump" there is literally only one way that can happen: Increase the 4/3rd Sensor digital zoom to 6.9x. It's going to look pretty horrible at that point, then suddenly sharpen when the TELE lens clicks in at its prime. (if I hear one more person calling it a zoom, I'm gonna zoom out the window on the 38th floor) They can do something good. Give us a switch 1x 4/3 and a 1x on the Tele lens, and just let us switch cameras. Everything else is less than stellar. Neither of these lens setups have any optical zoom. Just allow a switch and let each zoom digitally if desired. Trying to smoothly transition from one to the other while zooming is a huge waste of time and could never look anything but awful. This is my opinion of course, but seriously, the cameras are functionally so different, it cannot be possible to NOT be jarring when popping over to a way inferior imaging setup midstream.

Reactions: RocketBrew
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929