DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M3 zoom with hassleblad vs M2 Pro

Mavicrebel123

Reactions
Howdy gang.
I have a chance to get a Mavic two pro pretty cheap. But in doing the drone comparison on DJI site, it Shows that the two pro does not have zoom function but that the Hasselblad on the Mavic three has three power zoom. What did they change inside this camera to do that or did they build a new version of Hasselblad? So short story, is it worth me getting a two pro for $1100? Thanks.

The Mavic 3 camera is completely new. There are many differences besides the one you mention (3X zoom) but as to whether or not it is worth it, really comes down to what you are trying to do. The M2P's camera is still near the top of the consumer drone food chain, and I would say the camera of the Mavic 3 is a little higher on that chain.

I still have a Mavic 2Pro and while I will be getting the Mavic 3C soon, I bet I could go out and put together a video using clips from both and almost no one would be able to guess which clip came from which camera. The Zoom on a drone camera is useless for me, I can zoom in post and get the same results, the bigger 4/3rds sensor should be/is better in low light than that of the M2P 1" sensor, but is that worth 1,100.00? thats up to you.

But in doing the drone comparison on DJI site, it Shows that the two pro does not have zoom function but that the Hasselblad on the Mavic three has three power zoom.
The Mavic 3 does not have optical zoom. It has so-called digital zoom, which is nothing more than cropping the wide-angle image. The Mavic 3 (but not the Classic) also has a tele lens at approx. 162mm focal length equivalent, but on a much smaller sensor.
The only DJI consumer drone with a true zoom lens is the Mavic 2 Zoom.

I have a MP2 and a M3C and I see a definite difference in image quality. I have to leave it at that as everybody sees differently. For me to say it was a small, big, or huge difference again would only per my perception and my evaluation. That makes this a tough question to answer. I will say this, after a hosting platform like Youtube squashes and mangles the images the two are much closer and as per Ty, I'm sure most folks would have no idea. Now if you were producing something for a short film festival along with cinema cameras, I would definitely suggest the M3C.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
Howdy gang.
I have a chance to get a Mavic two pro pretty cheap. But in doing the drone comparison on DJI site, it Shows that the two pro does not have zoom function but that the Hasselblad on the Mavic three has three power zoom. What did they change inside this camera to do that or did they build a new version of Hasselblad? So short story, is it worth me getting a two pro for $1100? Thanks.
New Mavic 2 Pro's are being sold for$2500 because of their popularity.
Litchi is a available and it is a real work horse.
You can also buy the 2x Zoom camera for it and swap them.
Buy the used M2P. It's a better value, and has no Remote ID, and uses the GO 4 app which is far better than the crippled Fly app that the Mavic 3 requires.
If you want a Mavic 3 for the 4/3 sensor and the 7x telephoto, buy it DJI Refurbished from DJI for only $1639. Same one year warranty, and you can even buy DJI Care for it, too!

I have both. The M3 telephoto can still produce some great results especially if your subject is at a distance and/or your flight restrictions prevent you from getting close enough for a shot with the M2P. Here are some samples from 3.5 miles away using the M3.

The Mavic 3 does not have optical zoom. It has so-called digital zoom, which is nothing more than cropping the wide-angle image. The Mavic 3 (but not the Classic) also has a tele lens at approx. 162mm focal length equivalent, but on a much smaller sensor.
The only DJI consumer drone with a true zoom lens is the Mavic 2 Zoom.
I have the Mavic Pro 2 Zoom as well! I use it for weddings and such like!

Reactions: waynorth
The Mavic 2 Pro is an oustanding drone. It has a lot of advantages over all the other DJI drones. I'll list a few...

1) 1" Sensor (Hasselblad is just a name that DJI bought out. (See below for what comes to mind when I think "Hasselblad").
2) Variable aperture. Only the M2P had this feature until the M3 came out.
3) Excellent resolution. Once you compress the video on YouTube anything more is kind of a waste. Stills are outstanding.
4) Controller has all the same features as the $1200 RC Pro, except you have to provide your own screen (phone or tablet) but it also has an LCD readout with the flying data.
5) It's a great flyer. Great wind resistance
6) Operates with Go4 app, which IMO is better than the DJI Fly app.
7) Many 3rd party apps available; Litchi, DroneVR, Maven and more

1669776731047.png
but it has

The Mavic 2 Pro is an oustanding drone. It has a lot of advantages over all the other DJI drones. I'll list a few...

I fully agree, I have stocked up on a few Mavic 2 drones and plenty batteries. Also a Mavic 2 Zoom, although it has a smaller sensor the zoom lens can sometimes be very useful.
I try to take care of the batteries as best I can to keep them functional for as long as possible. If I don't fly for some time I charge them fully, then discharge them until they turn themself off, then charge to storage mode.

The Phantom 4 pro has all those advantages as well.
True, and it is even more wind resistant.
The reasons I sold my Phantoms and now use Mavic 2, are the folding design (easier to carry around) and quieter flight. But I miss the Phantoms Plus-controller with the brilliant screen. And I think the P4Pro has an ever so slightly better image quality on still photos.

The Phantom 4 pro has all those advantages as well.
I'm not familiar with the Phantom series as it's before my time in the drone world. All I know is that you can't fold a Phantom :).

I have both the m2pro and m3, with Smart controller and RC Pro respectively, both takes 20mpx photos and as far as I know, the hassleblad on both of these is only for the Color Science,

for the m2pro there's no 'zoom' function but you could Punch in when recording at 4k HQ mode and have a wide lens at 4k FOV mode. (only works in 4k though) m3 on the other hand has that digital 3x digital zoom ready

I have both the m2pro and m3, with Smart controller and RC Pro respectively, both takes 20mpx photos and as far as I know, the hassleblad on both of these is only for the Color Science,

for the m2pro there's no 'zoom' function but you could Punch in when recording at 4k HQ mode and have a wide lens at 4k FOV mode. (only works in 4k though) m3 on the other hand has that digital 3x digital zoom ready
Correct, the only thing Hasselblad about either camera is in the colour processing, which serves little real purpose - especially when shooting RAW. DJI are the major shareholder in Hasselblad and they are trading on the quality reputation of the precision Swedish (corrected) camera maker in an obvious attempt to mislead those thinking they are getting a genuine Hasselblad camera.

Last edited:
Correct, the only thing Hasselblad about either camera is in the colour processing, which serves little real purpose - especially when shooting RAW. DJI are the major shareholder in Hasselblad and they are trading on the quality reputation of the precision Swedish (corrected) camera maker in an obvious attempt to mislead those thinking they are getting a genuine Hasselblad camera.
I think I would agree entirely with this assessment. "Hasselblad color processing". What is it exactly? It appears to be little more (if any more) than just color profiling which anyone semi skilled in Photoshop or Lightroom could create profiles themselves with the right tools.

Hasseblad was THE leader in analog cameras and lenses until digital supplanted film cameras. And while Hasselblad now produces excellent digital equipment, they are no longer King of the Mountain as they were in the analog world. But the weight that they carried in the industry was so great that a Chinese company would buy the name, largely for marketing purposes. While Hasselblad still makes excellent equipment in the digital world, they also have a world of competitors; Fuji, for one. Fuji has been the "color giant" for decades and (IMO) almost single handedly put Kodak's film and photo paper sales in the toilet.

As always, JMO

Reactions: SkyeHigh

I used to switch between Mavic 2's HQ and FOV modes quite often.
Recently I've been filming in 4K using the Mavic 3, mainly because I find the quality to be sufficient and the files are obviously smaller than 5.1K, but I've been wondering if using the digital zoom incurs a noticeable drop in quality while in 5.1K? I'd be willing to switch to 5.1K if the digital zoom dropped the quality to something similar to 4K, it would allow a lot more latitude while filming.

Does it work like this or am I being unrealistic?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll