DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA 1 IMU error

Rosco01

Reactions
Hi folk,
my MA 1 is just on 12 months old.... it has flown only 14 times - it has never crashed, been wet or failed before.
After some 9 months from the last flight, I updated the software on both the Rx and Tx, re-calibrated the compass and successfully had just one 4 minute flight.
Locked solid on GPS with two burst green rear indicator flashes and solid two red front lights.
I received a land warning - having shot 30 seconds of 4K video and taken two pix.
I believed the warning was due to low battery ( I have the warning set at a high 40%).
After fitting a new charged battery, the aircraft would not respond to the Tx..... I checked the screen and it screamed at me to re-calibrate the IMU.
I have tried and tried to do this, but it continuously returns with a "IMU-2 error 13" screen fault...
I looked under the aircraft at the two infra-red sensors and one of them does not appear to have any beam coming from it.

I have contacted DJI for assistance and as yet (nearly 1 week) have not had a reply.

We are on a 3 month trip in our caravan - and I am disappointed in this expensive little drone to say the very least.

I would appreciate it greatly for members to enlighten me on what the issue is, what can be done to correct it whilst we travel and if there is any by-pass which can at the very least allow me to use the little drone for short range video footage.

frats,
Rosco

Give it a little tap / slap on the bottom of the AC just where the front of the rear arms connects to the body, this sometimes frees up the IMU which is located there on rubber dampeners.
Then try calibrating again

Thanks for that, tried what you suggested and it did not fix the issue.... one of the infra-red lenses is not illuminating.
DJI have sent me a return shipping number - I am concerned that by the time they receive it - it will be beyond warranty. We are traveling in our caravan and won't be home for a few months yet. I will attempt to make contact by telephone and ask what action need be taken whilst we are not home. It is useless to me as it is - one flight in 9 months........... and 4 minutes at that. Never pranged, bumped or seen water - let alone ever gone into it. frats Rosco

It's quite a big whack actually, now that your sending it back to DJI

Thanks again,
I will phone them and tell them about us being on tour... ask them just what they want me to send back, and tell them to ship the repaired whatever to my daughter's address until our return... either way, the MA is no use to me at all on this trip and I'm annoyed beyond belief is an understatement. Are these drones so fragile?... mine has gone off the air for absolutely no reason... it's been flown 14 times only according to the flight log history, the longest of which has been less than 10 minutes... and a total distance traveled since new of just over 1.5 km..... an awful lot of money for such little use.... thanks again.
I simply couldn't allow myself to "hit" the MA hard.. it's beyond my respect for equipment.

Frats,
Rosco

There are lots of issues now coming out of DJI drones and it seems that DJI is not responding so well on rectification effort. MA 2 looks like has the most issues raised in this forum. Most recent one is the cracked in the battery bay and the drone is only less a month. Worse DJI is charging for the repair when it's still under warranty.

Ok folk,
finally - after a 4 month absence up north - we are now home. I have been in touch with DJI again and told them of the issue - they repeated that I should ship the Mavic to them and have it repaired. I stated that I'd prefer to deliver it and they replied with an address. My Air has now gone in for repairs.. they took the TX and the aircraft... and will reply to me when it can be collected. I was asked to do a full sync, which I did... the second of the IMU infra-red beams under the aircraft no longer works either... so - we'll just have to wait and see what comes of their repair... I have explained that I was not able to ship it to them within the warranty period - and they have accepted this - whether they honor the warranty.... we'll find that out too..

When I had the Galaxy S-5 connected to the TX.... a message came up about needing to disconnect an 8 or so pin lead and re-connect it... absolutely no idea what that was....... although, I believe it was inside the aircraft....
My suspicion is that the entire issue is a dislodged cable inside..

frats,
Rosco

Ok update..... received reply from DJI repair facility. The IMU CPU was defective... cost for replacement CPU $17.... labor $60. DJI have honored my warranty and advised that the repair will be free of charge (thank you) - flew 14 times only, most of them short 1 minute flights - all of the 14 flights with absolutely no bumps or crashes of any kind......or ever done likewise in storage/transport.... guess, I just "lucked" the dodgy one.

One of the three batteries was also replaced second day after purchase... again, no charge.

I await advice to collect my MA and finally start flying again... and getting some video.

Thanks DJI.

frats,
Rosco

Reactions: Thomas B
Ok, apparently my MA-1 is going to be shipped back to me... although I asked for the service centre to retain it and I would come collect it - if it doesn't arrive by the end of this week - I'll contact them again. However, I am told that my serial number may have changed - I hope not, for this drone has done virtually nothing.. and my fear is that they may have simply given me another "used" one. I probably made the mistake of leaving my TX with them... I'll compare serial numbers and report back here. One question - DJI sent me an email offering me a "refresh" option... 12 months - 2 aircraft replacements - for $149 (AUS)...... your thoughts? frats,
Rosco

Ok, apparently my MA-1 is going to be shipped back to me... although I asked for the service centre to retain it and I would come collect it - if it doesn't arrive by the end of this week - I'll contact them again. However, I am told that my serial number may have changed - I hope not, for this drone has done virtually nothing.. and my fear is that they may have simply given me another "used" one. I probably made the mistake of leaving my TX with them... I'll compare serial numbers and report back here. One question - DJI sent me an email offering me a "refresh" option... 12 months - 2 aircraft replacements - for $149 (AUS)...... your thoughts? frats,
Rosco
Don’t worry about the substitution of a working drone. DJI commonly does that and registers the new drone ID number to their site... it will appear in your list.

I'll be very annoyed if I don't get my drone back..... it has had next to no use... motors are pretty much new..... no scratches, marks or anything on the MA at all... brand new - it flew just 14 times... 11 of them were basically off the floor inside to head height - then land again..... only three of them outdoors - never touched anything, never in rain or dust.... always pressed the "land" button to land it gently onto a soft pad..... I could end up with something that's been out in the "rough and tumble" of life... think you understand. frats, Rosco

Hi folk,
my MA 1 is just on 12 months old.... it has flown only 14 times - it has never crashed, been wet or failed before.
After some 9 months from the last flight, I updated the software on both the Rx and Tx, re-calibrated the compass and successfully had just one 4 minute flight.
Locked solid on GPS with two burst green rear indicator flashes and solid two red front lights.
I received a land warning - having shot 30 seconds of 4K video and taken two pix.
I believed the warning was due to low battery ( I have the warning set at a high 40%).
After fitting a new charged battery, the aircraft would not respond to the Tx..... I checked the screen and it screamed at me to re-calibrate the IMU.
I have tried and tried to do this, but it continuously returns with a "IMU-2 error 13" screen fault...
I looked under the aircraft at the two infra-red sensors and one of them does not appear to have any beam coming from it.

I have contacted DJI for assistance and as yet (nearly 1 week) have not had a reply.

We are on a 3 month trip in our caravan - and I am disappointed in this expensive little drone to say the very least.

I would appreciate it greatly for members to enlighten me on what the issue is, what can be done to correct it whilst we travel and if there is any by-pass which can at the very least allow me to use the little drone for short range video footage.

frats,
Rosco
Sorry your problems spoiled your trip. Heartbreaking. Might be worth noting, the sensors on the bottom of the ac. One is a transmitter, lights,, and one is a receiver, does not light. So you will never see both lights on.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada