DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA2 advice for UK newbie

scorpio66

Reactions
Hi all from the UK!

This is only my 2nd post after my pilot check in.
On that post I stated that I was going to buy the Mini2.
However, after a lot of thought I have changed my mind! I just KNOW I am going to love flying and thought it would be a waste buying the mini, to just want to 'move up' after a month or so!

So, I will be instead buying the Air2 Fly more combo. Excited already!
However, this means MORE questions and advice requested from myself. I hope you don't mind!
So here goes....please bear with me :)

1. How do I register my drone in the UK? Do I need to pass a flying test?

2. Insurance. Advice please on the best way to insure my drone. Is the DJI Refresh best? Or some other way?

3. Color Grading. I have an older version of Photoshop. (CS5) Is this adequate for quality color grading or should I look at Lightroom on a monthly payment. I know there are others, Luminar, Vegas etc etc. Advice for a newbie please!

4. My phone. My current phone is a Huewai Nova 5T. There is no info whether this is compatible or not. I have installed the Fly app onto the phone with no problems, it is 64bit architecture, so may be OK.
Should I wait until I have my drone, and test it with the phone? Or just get a 2nd hand phone that is definitely compatible?

5. Does the Air 2 work well with the Smart Controller? Is it worth going down that route instead? Some older threads here stated that the Smart Controller was still awaiting firmware updates so it could be used with the Air2, but it seems (according to other threads here) that this issue has been sorted, and some of you guys are now flying your Air2 with the Smart Controller. IS this a better option than buggering about with getting a decent 2nd phone?

I'm sure I will need more advice, but am reading threads here, and watching lots of videos, and learning all the time!!

I really appreciate any help, especially from UK pilots (regarding registration).

Cheers
Chris

@scorpio66 i will answer your first question
you will need to register your drone with the CAA and get your Operator ID number which lasts for a year and costs at the moment £9 and must be displayed on the drone ,in addition you will need to do a 20 question test to get your flier ID which lasts for three years and at the moment its free
and follow the drone code

Hi all from the UK!

However, after a lot of thought I have changed my mind! I just KNOW I am going to love flying and thought it would be a waste buying the mini, to just want to 'move up' after a month or so!

However, this means MORE questions and advice requested from myself. I hope you don't mind!

2. Insurance. Advice please on the best way to insure my drone. Is the DJI Refresh best? Or some other way?

3. Color Grading. I have an older version of Photoshop. (CS5) Is this adequate for quality color grading or should I look at Lightroom on a monthly payment. I know there are others, Luminar, Vegas etc etc. Advice for a newbie please!

4. My phone. My current phone is a Huewai Nova 5T. There is no info whether this is compatible or not. I have installed the Fly app onto the phone with no problems, it is 64bit architecture, so may be OK.
Should I wait until I have my drone, and test it with the phone? Or just get a 2nd hand phone that is definitely compatible?

5. Does the Air 2 work well with the Smart Controller? Is it worth going down that route instead? Some older threads here stated that the Smart Controller was still awaiting firmware updates so it could be used with the Air2, but it seems (according to other threads here) that this issue has been sorted, and some of you guys are now flying your Air2 with the Smart Controller. IS this a better option than buggering about with getting a decent 2nd phone?

I'm sure I will need more advice, but am reading threads here, and watching lots of videos, and learning all the time!!

I really appreciate any help, especially from UK pilots (regarding registration).

Cheers
Chris
Question 1

You will have to go: Drone and model aircraft registration | UK Civil Aviation Authority
Do the test / Pass
Then pay £9 for licence

The tests is 20 questions, with ref on what to read before test, when I did test I was just seeing what it was like. 19/20 pass so got licence, only question I got wrong was how close to people you could get to. I clicked on 150m, was 50m. So even thought I got it wrong. At lest I got it wrong by saying to far away lol :)

To register you just need to go to the CAA website, register your details, take the simple test and pay the £9 fee.

Colour grading is done with a video editor such as Premiere Pro, Davinci Resolve, Vegas etc. Photoshop and Lightroom or designed for manipulating still images. Lightroom is ideal for working on your drone photographs.

Your best insurance is to read the manual thoroughly and abide by the rules and regulations and fly safe. The Care Refresh package may be worth it but you’ll find the Air2 very easy and very stable to fly. Just take your time and go one step at a time.

Other pilots on the forum will be able to answer your other questions.

Reactions: scorpio66
Question 1

You will have to go: Drone and model aircraft registration | UK Civil Aviation Authority
Do the test / Pass
Then pay £9 for licence

The tests is 20 questions, with ref on what to read before test, when I did test I was just seeing what it was like. 19/20 pass so got licence, only question I got wrong was how close to people you could get to. I clicked on 150m, was 50m. So even thought I got it wrong. At lest I got it wrong by saying to far away lol :)
Thanks for the link Firestorm! It will give me time to study ?

Re 4) Using your phone try, now, looking for the app in the google play store, if you can not see it it likely is not compatible. If you do see it try downloading, installing and running it.
If it installs and opens it might be compatible but it is seemingly not definite. There is thread over on the dji forum about someone with a google phone that from memory runs the app but will not connect to the controller.
Using the above tests it was clear I needed a 'new' phone, I ebayed a samsung S6 and for the heck of it an iphone 5S, they both work. The iphone has the advantage that it does not draw much power from the controller, the disadvantage is that it has a SMALL screen, The S6 and nearly all android devices do draw significant power from the controller. There are ways around the latter and you will find various solutions mentioned if you do a search in here. I dislike the idea of adding a resistor ( you will need to look for this 'solution' if it interestes you) as I saw strange things with a good multimeter and I think someone needs to look at the setup with an oscilliscope to see what voltages and currents are being created. I have tried the USB power pack and splitter cable and it does work

Re 5) If you are thinking of a smart controller then I wouldn't, if needed, buy a phone until you know what you are going to do. Bear in mind smart controllers are blooming expensive.

To register you just need to go to the CAA website, register your details, take the simple test and pay the £9 fee.

Colour grading is done with a video editor such as Premiere Pro, Davinci Resolve, Vegas etc. Photoshop and Lightroom or designed for manipulating still images. Lightroom is ideal for working on your drone photographs.

Your best insurance is to read the manual thoroughly and abide by the rules and regulations and fly safe. The Care Refresh package may be worth it but you’ll find the Air2 very easy and very stable to fly. Just take your time and go one step at a time.

Other pilots on the forum will be able to answer your other questions.
Thanks Skyehigh. I will be taking things slowly and carefully. I want to be great at this! Cheers.

Re 4) Using your phone try, now, looking for the app in the google play store, if you can not see it it likely is not compatible. If you do see it try downloading, installing and running it.
If it installs and opens it might be compatible but it is seemingly not definite. There is thread over on the dji forum about someone with a google phone that from memory runs the app but will not connect to the controller.
Using the above tests it was clear I needed a 'new' phone, I ebayed a samsung S6 and for the heck of it an iphone 5S, they both work. The iphone has the advantage that it does not draw much power from the controller, the disadvantage is that it has a SMALL screen, The S6 and nearly all android devices do draw significant power from the controller. There are ways around the latter and you will find various solutions mentioned if you do a search in here. I dislike the idea of adding a resistor ( you will need to look for this 'solution' if it interestes you) as I saw strange things with a good multimeter and I think someone needs to look at the setup with an oscilliscope to see what voltages and currents are being created. I have tried the USB power pack and splitter cable and it does work

Re 5) If you are thinking of a smart controller then I wouldn't, if needed, buy a phone until you know what you are going to do. Bear in mind smart controllers are blooming expensive.
Thanks sir. I already have the fly app installed. Still deciding on whether to go the SC route, depending on advice from you guys! Cheers

Hi all from the UK!

Cheers
Chris
Chris, welcome to MavicPilots! Great source for DJI MA2 questions and general information. I think you made a wise choice buying the MA2 over the Mini 2 for your first DJI Drone, it's great fun!
Can't answer your questions about UK registry, tests, etc. The controller that came with the drone is very nice, use it first, but if find you need a brighter display and/or you need to use your phone while you fly and you have a boat load of money buy the smart controller.

Good luck!

Thanks mate. I will be indeed getting the SC. Anything that helps me starting off is good. After watching many crashes I will be taking it very steady to start! ?

Hi Scorpio66
Bought my MA2 back in August as my first drone and it is a great bit
of kit, i'm enjoying every minute of it so far. This is a great place to ask
questions ( i had many ? and still do) when you get stuck people are
always willing to help. I'm currently flying with an Ipad air, the screen
size is great but in bright light the screen is differcult to see as the air
has a low nitt value around 500 ish (brightness). The smart controller has a very bright screen of 1000 nitts. Something else to consider as the stock controller that comes with the MA2 is already good is the Tripltek tablet
as the screen is bigger than the SC and it has a massive 1200 nits of
brightness and is cheaper in the UK at £480 delivered. I'm already saving for one ?

Hi all from the UK!

Cheers
Chris
1. Support for the Air 2 was recently added to the Smart Controller. [I have an Air 2 but am still considering purchasing the Smart Controller because I have the Mini 2 as well, which is also supported by the SC. I don't really need it, because I use the Mini 2 indoors and at family and social events (not many, nowadays!), and the MA2 for high-flying].
2. The Air 2 will give you great photos and 4k video. I doubt that Photoshop C5 will be able to read all the MA2 output. (I use Photoshop for post-processing) Advanced Photoshop versions (I have CC, which is circa 2017), can play a 4K video from the MA2 and, for example, allow cropping single shots).
3. You can find on the web a cover for the phone screen, protecting it from bright sunlight.
4. I don't live in the UK, so can't help you there.
5. Regarding supported phones, DJI has published a list of these somewhere on the web.

Enjoy flying - you own a state of the art piece of engineering that gives great output, and is fun to fly.

Are you certain the Mini 2 is currently supported in the SC? I have the impression it might be a possiblity but that it is not currently supported. Obviously I will stand correction if I am wrong.
"With firmware version v01.00.0460, DJI has added support so that the Mavic Air 2's remote controller can also be used with the Mini 2. It is recommended that DJI's Fly app v1.2.0, or higher, is installed on your smartphone. " New DJI Mavic Air 2 firmware update includes remote control compatibility with Mini 2

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest