DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA2 always hand launched and landed...

JOE CHRONIC

Reactions
Since day one I have hand launched and landed my MA2.
This baby has never taken off or landed from the ground.
Landed and lifted on/off a van roof a couple times but other than that it's
hand launched and landed always...

Reactions: dawgpilot
??? Trolling??? Just wondering why you always hand launch is all. I’ve never tried it.
Sorry. I didn't mean you were trolling, I was answering your question.

This thread looks like a troll to stir up the hand catching debate again.

Sorry. I didn't mean you were trolling, I was answering your question.

This thread looks like a troll to stir up the hand catching debate again.
Ahh, you are probably right. I didn’t look and thought your “trolling” question was from the OP.., sorry

Reactions: hiflyer201
Only drawback to hand launching/landing is you need to pay attention and keep the drone facing AWAY from you at all times. And maybe consider wearing gloves...lol. Worse is taking off/landing on your car roof, screws with the IMU.

Only drawback to hand launching/landing is you need to pay attention and keep the drone facing AWAY from you at all times. And maybe consider wearing gloves...lol. Worse is taking off/landing on your car roof, screws with the IMU.
Easy to HC with the drone facing you.

Reactions: Gringorio
Certainly not...it would however mess with the compass depending on composition.

Well, on take off drones sometimes tend to lurch forward ...had that happen once or twice. wind can catch them. Could bounce off your hand. But, that's my personal experience...milage may vary.

Did not say it was hard, only safer.
Hand catching is a learned trade, it isn't easier with the drone facing you, for most who haven't learn the skill set of how to fly in reverse orientation. I would say if one wanted to learn how to properly hand catch at first they would do so nose out.

That way left is left, right is right, front is....well you get the idea. :p If one thinks that hand catching is dangerous it is only because you haven't got to that level of skill set yet....and best to leave it to those that have devoted the time to learn that level of flight and coordination.

Taking off the hand is relatively easy as you basically just "throw" the drone into flight. Landing is better done at just above head height so that face and eyes are well clear of blades. Many have developed their own sequence of how to do it in many variations, so what works for one, may not work as well for the next guy/gal. Again it is a learned procedure.

Last edited:
I never land or takeoff from the ground. Way too much dust and dirt around here. If I could do this with my X8 lidar scanning rig I would... But with 8 X 27" props and 18kg, I've only done it once because of a landing gear strut. That was truly terrifying lol.

Reactions: joeywestside
Since day one I have hand launched and landed my MA2.
This baby has never taken off or landed from the ground.
Landed and lifted on/off a van roof a couple times but other than that it's
hand launched and landed always...
Each to there own

I've always hand launched as well, I don't like dirt. Never had issues with drift. I also Velcro my Strobe to the belly of my MA2 and my MM1 before that. It could still land and takeoff without hurting anything but I just don't want to. It is definitely harder to hand catch in the dark btw.

I did see a picture of a cool landing pad with LEDs lighting it up and that has me considering a pad lol, especially for when the new rules kick in.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000