DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA2 and MA2s

Do we think/believe that the MA2s batteries and propellers will be compatible with the MA2?
How c/would we know?
  • In DJI's interest: A new battery architecture would have them selling new batteries increasing revenue (despite the power specs appearing to be the same from the leaks)
  • DJI's prior practice with the Mavic Mini to the Mini 2: The Mini 2's batteries have less mah than the Mavic Mini, but the Mavic Mini's batteries will work; this is the only instance I'm aware of that this was done and it's recent (and likely put's the Mini 2 over 249 grams)
  • Possible benefit to DJI and the consumer: Ensuring compatibility of the Mavic Air 2 batteries with the Air 2S will lower the cost of entry to anyone that has an investment in the Mavic Air 2; that may be a valid consideration for folk that have an Air 2 and would not purchase an Air 2S Fly More Combo due to price differential but would by the basic package if they could utilize their Mavic Air 2 batteries.
  • No idea about the props:
    • the mini -> mini 2 is a no go
    • the successors in the Air product line to date are not interchangeable that I'm aware or
    • (barely qualifying as an exception) Props are interchangeable between the Mavic Pro. Mavic Pro Platinum, & Alpine (only an ESC and color change so props go either way as these are basically the same airframes and motors) - This does not extend to the Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom
I sure hope DJI has the batteries compatible between the Air 2 and Air 2s; I may then buy both (so I can use my smart controller with the older Air 2 which will be imminently available at better discounts <- my assertion).

How c/would we know?
  • In DJI's interest: A new battery architecture would have them selling new batteries increasing revenue (despite the power specs appearing to be the same from the leaks)
  • DJI's prior practice with the Mavic Mini to the Mini 2: The Mini 2's batteries have less mah than the Mavic Mini, but the Mavic Mini's batteries will work; this is the only instance I'm aware of that this was done and it's recent (and likely put's the Mini 2 over 249 grams)
  • Possible benefit to DJI and the consumer: Ensuring compatibility of the Mavic Air 2 batteries with the Air 2S will lower the cost of entry to anyone that has an investment in the Mavic Air 2; that may be a valid consideration for folk that have an Air 2 and would not purchase an Air 2S Fly More Combo due to price differential but would by the basic package if they could utilize their Mavic Air 2 batteries.
  • No idea about the props:
    • the mini -> mini 2 is a no go
    • the successors in the Air product line to date are not interchangeable that I'm aware or
    • (barely qualifying as an exception) Props are interchangeable between the Mavic Pro. Mavic Pro Platinum, & Alpine (only an ESC and color change so props go either way as these are basically the same airframes and motors) - This does not extend to the Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom
I sure hope DJI has the batteries compatible between the Air 2 and Air 2s; I may then buy both (so I can use my smart controller with the older Air 2 which will be imminently available at better discounts <- my assertion).
That's a well reasoned reply. If they are compatible, I don't have to buy the combo package. Shoot, I wish they would just offer the drone, cuz I use the Smart Controller anyway.

Reactions: Sjkieffer
That's a well reasoned reply. If they are compatible, I don't have to buy the combo package. Shoot, I wish they would just offer the drone, cuz I use the Smart Controller anyway.
Amen to that, re. the Smart controller (which is fantastic). But leaks seems to suggest that OcuSync 3.0 will not be supported by the (soon to be legacy?) smart controllers we have; though if 2.0 and 3.0 can be addressed by Software-Defined Radio it should be technically feasible if the frequencies are the same and the rest is just in the software and encoding /decoding of the signals; DJI may not opt to handle it in software to get us up the acquire more equipment; e.g., get the:
  • new FPV Goggles rather than use the ones I have that work with my Mavic Pros and Mavic 2 Pro
  • yet to be leaked/announced (I'm speculating here) Smart Controller 2.0 (with extra cheese)
  • the motion controller from the FPV
  • and ultimately, while folks are getting into FPV on a Mavic family platform, might as well add a DJI FPV to the fleet to up our FPV skills once they're mastered(?) on the Air 2S

It's obviously just speculation on my part but I think the fact that it's an air2S and not an air3 would make it more in line with the mP to mPP or m2P/ m2Z analogy than mini to mini2 or Air to Air2 as far as batteries are concerned and the video, by eyeball at least, seems to corroborate that line of thought. They may have done something different with the propellers, either length or geometry, to get the rumored additional flight time so they MAY not be interchangeable but again this seems to be an incremental improvement not a generational advance so it's possible that they too would be backward( more sideward) compatible. I can't say that they necessarily stuffed a lot more physically in to the Mini2 than the Mavic Mini but you got occusync 2 for added range and connection strength vs wifi, updated to usb c all around, a 4k camera as opposed to 2.7k, changed the motors if I'm not mistaken to accommodate the different battery chemistry/ capabilites( hence the inability to interchange props) and offer higher speed as well as more camera features. This, if the rumors are true, is mostly just the added upward facing obstacle avoidance and bigger camera sensor if you're in the US. They could have come out at the same time like with the Mavic 2 and offered the Air2 for $799us and the Air2s for say 899 or maybe even 999 and no one would have blinked because of the feature differences but now its a year later and they've only slightly changed the name and offered minor, but I'm sure highly requested and coveted, improvements. The rest of the world finally getting ads-b that never materialized, to the best of my knowledge at least, on the Air2 would be a potentially huge improvement for them.

I just saw this:
If the article is correct then I'm more than a little disappointed. It would appear as though most of the earlier rumors are true and that they are basically just tacking a better camera and upward facing obstacle avoidance on to the year old Mavic Air2 and charging an extra $300 for it. Granted neither the article or an unboxing video posted on the forum earlier went in to the specs to make any real decisions but at that price I'd almost go for the 3 year old M2Z base kit so that I had a real zoom, slightly increased speed and side sensors. Just my 1.46 pence.

Reactions: Severian
If this is accurate, the 2s will have the same battery. But will the addition of a few new sensors and a slightly better camera be enough for me to upgrade from my MA2? Probably not.

Best Buy Specifications Sheet

I’m waiting for variable aperture on a Class 2 drone that has a better sensor than the MA2 for still photography. Probably will be a year or 2 before I upgrade and I’m fine with that.

Reactions: Severian
According to customer service all parts are compatible across air 2 and 2s except for the ND filters and gimbal protector.
I just tried switching props from the MA2 and the 2S, they fit perfectly. As does the battery. Which is awesome as I have a total of six sets of props and a total of seven batteries, thanks to the 2S which arrived today. I didn't bother with the FLY MORE package as I already had more than enough batteries and props lying around. I hope to test it out on Thursday.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BRUNO.CARDOSO