DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA2 got very wet during New Year flight! What should I do?

Yaros

Reactions
I have been flying 20 minutes during new year 2022 to record some fireworks and some other stuff, it wasn't raining, but the humidity and condensation was 100%, it was like falling really small droplets of water from the sky, I thought that it's not a problem for the drone, the spinning propellers will just protect it.
When I landed I noticed just how wet it was, it wasn't good. I brought it home and dried it with some paper and a hairdryer (with the battery removed, of course).
What should I do next?
I will not try to open the drone because it's still on Warranty and DJI Care Refresh!

Here are some images of how it looked when I landed:

1641037268854.png 1641037303033.png

Reactions: roger boivin
I'd let it sit and dry for a few days. Since it was condensation, you shouldn't have any problem with mineral traces on the circuit boards. Most importantly, do NOT power it on if you feel there is any possibility of leftover moisture inside.
Once it's toughly dry, it will probably be ok.
Oh...& don't pack it in rice, lol. That's not good advice, and I see it all the time. If you use anything like that, get something like this:

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=silica...ilica+gel+b,aps,78&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_12

Try filling a large container with methylated spirits to the depth to the underside of the drone body and lay a cloth over it. Leave the drone there for a day or two. The vapour from the spirits will vaporize the water. I hope this helps good luck.

Reactions: Yaros
when my drone got wet in a similar way I applied a vacuum cleaner to all the openings, except around the camera and gimbal. I even vacuumed the motor tops and side/bottom of the 'bell'/rotor and then put the drone in a warm place for several days.
If you try it I would vacuum the battery and the battery button too.

I'd let it sit and dry for a few days. Since it was condensation, you shouldn't have any problem with mineral traces on the circuit boards. Most importantly, do NOT power it on if you feel there is any possibility of leftover moisture inside.
Oh...& don't pack it in rice, lol. That's not good advice, and I see it all the time. If you use anything like that, get something like this:

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=silica+gel+beads&crid=BM8HKT9J24ZH&sprefix=silica+gel+b,aps,78&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_12
I world place The drone in plastic bag and cover with rice for over night
The fresh rice will absorb all moisture ( works with cellphones as well)

Reactions: BigAl07

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=silica+gel+beads&crid=BM8HKT9J24ZH&sprefix=silica+gel+b,aps,78&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_12
I world place The drone in plastic bag and cover with rise

Rice has contaminates that can get into the Gimbal and prop motors. it also doesn't work well in general and doesn't speed drying any more than just allowing it to air dry. Google it. Rice is an old wives tale lol.

Much better off using silica or just allowing it to air dry.

Bad luck. Speaking as a talented Spark pilot who, due to battery detachment, skilfully landed in soft mud here in the Severn Estuary (tidal and a spot of salt too) the advice above regarding allowing it to dry naturally after having carefully and manually drying any parts you can easily reach, is spot on. Should be fine.

COVERING in rice IS A BAD IDEA, as Pagan65 states, bits of rice get everywhere and its value as a deliquescent is doubtful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Insides of the drone should be running good amount warmer than ambient from heat of electronics.
So there shouldn't be any condensated water inside, because temperature is higher than dew point.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada