DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ma2 height

Rcthethird

Reactions
Just took my new Air 2 for a flight. It involved taking off from one side of a vally and going across and up the other side. The other side is alot higher, I was at max altitude from my take off point but the alltitude did not change and so was flying in to the trees on the other side.
Am I right in thinking I could have raised my alltitude in the settings to clear the obsticle, the mountain? I thought the Air to would have been able to read from gps or ground positioning or something?
I was wondering due to leagalitys or just breaching the rules.

Last edited:
Your altitude is determined from your take off point.

Yea Guessed that. So as I can only guess the height the other side will I be breaking any rules in raising my height?
Should have myself more clearer.

The max height set point will always be height above your takeoff point. You take off point is the only height datum that your drone has at this time.

Reactions: Rcthethird
Agree with the take off point reference for what the drone "knows". However, altitude above ground level (AGL) is the criteria for being legal in the US, were 400 feet AGL is the legal max height.

As others state, the drone may know where it is due to GPS, but it does not have a topo database or radar altimeter to know the elevation of the terrain it is overflying.

Reactions: geneg
Agree with the take off point reference for what the drone "knows". However, altitude above ground level (AGL) is the criteria for being legal in the US, were 400 feet AGL is the legal max height.

As others state, the drone may know where it is due to GPS, but it does not have a topo database or radar altimeter to know the elevation of the terrain it is overflying.
Its the same over here its the agl that is the rule, but at that distance i'm only guessing the height with vision from Camera and eyeballs. I suppose i'd be lawfully entitle to take the height up a bit further but with no or a flight log that reads above the law, I don't know if its legal or not.

As far as rules if you took off from one mountain top to
fly across to another as soon as you flew over the drop off
if it was over 400’ down you were breaking them then.
imagine a 400’ string tied to your drone. As long as it is touching the ground you are good.

Reactions: dgarside
As far as rules if you took off from one mountain top to
fly across to another as soon as you flew over the drop off
if it was over 400’ down you were breaking them then.
imagine a 400’ string tied to your drone. As long as it is touching the ground you are good.
Don't worry, I kept it under 200 or so feet under max height to go across the valley. Only maxed it to go up the other side.

Reactions: dirkclod
Don't worry, I kept it under 200 or so feet under max height to go across the valley. Only maxed it to go up the other side.
I wasn’t worried I was just telling you in case you didn’t know is all. Lots don’t.?

Thanks mate, I did but if others learn to its all good.
The way I understand it your app might say your 1000’ from your take off spot but as long as say that 400’ string is touching ground your good. I still might have that wrong but
is the way I see it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98