DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA2 is one tough bird!

Reactions
On June 6th my MA2 battery reached critical level so the drone landed itself in a tree about 50 feet above the ground. I could see it but could not retrieve it. During the last 3 weeks we have had strong thunder storms with winds of over 50 mph and several inches of rain. During one of the storms the drone was blown from its original position further into the tree where I could no longer find it. I got a replacement drone several days ago and used it to find my lost drone. Yesterday, July 2nd, I was able to find it and had a much younger friend climb the tree and get it for me.

The drone was covered with pine sap and the battery compartment had some water in it. Otherwise there appeared to be no damage. I dried out the drone and charged the battery. I then took it out to see if it would still fly. It flew with no problems. It had been through several sever storms, and extreme heat and yet suffered no damage!

Now that is a result, feel free when you get a min, to PM me this weeks LOTO numbers :D

Reactions: Tentoes
You should probably consider that battery compromised. Even if you successfully have flown with it since it got flooded, it could fail on you at any time.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
I never let my MA2 go below 40% of battery life. I took good care of this bird.

Guess we don't need the wetsuit! ?
Save for the fact that the wetsuit seals the battery compartment...

He probably could have turned the bird on without cleaning it, if she was wearing a wetsuit lol

p.s. you were likely joking, but dang do I want a wetsuit...

Save for the fact that the wetsuit seals the battery compartment...

He probably could have turned the bird on without cleaning it, if she was wearing a wetsuit lol

p.s. you were likely joking, but dang do I want a wetsuit...
That was tongue in cheek, but the MA2 wetsuit is already available, if you want one.

On June 6th my MA2 battery reached critical level so the drone landed itself in a tree about 50 feet above the ground. I could see it but could not retrieve it. During the last 3 weeks we have had strong thunder storms with winds of over 50 mph and several inches of rain. During one of the storms the drone was blown from its original position further into the tree where I could no longer find it. I got a replacement drone several days ago and used it to find my lost drone. Yesterday, July 2nd, I was able to find it and had a much younger friend climb the tree and get it for me.

The drone was covered with pine sap and the battery compartment had some water in it. Otherwise there appeared to be no damage. I dried out the drone and charged the battery. I then took it out to see if it would still fly. It flew with no problems. It had been through several sever storms, and extreme heat and yet suffered no damage!
Just wondering why you let the battery reach critical level, and why not RTH instead on landing in a tree?

Just wondering why you let the battery reach critical level, and why not RTH instead on landing in a tree?
If it reached critical, to the point that it started descending, then he may have not had time to correct it.

I'm not sure what would happen if he hit RTH while the aircraft started it's auto descent.

Somebody will know though.

If it reached critical, to the point that it started descending, then he may have not had time to correct it.

I'm not sure what would happen if he hit RTH while the aircraft started it's auto descent.

Somebody will know though.
Yeah, but my question to him was why it went to critical level, (pilot error by not paying attention to battery levels), or did the battery just drop.
Also does he know to set the RTH to come home, hover, or land.

So running your batteries low is common? How do you do your mission planning? Recreational only. I plan sonI never land below 30%. I have three batteries for each drone, but batteries are generally the weakest link in the planned equipment failure. Just wondering.

The volume on my phone was low and I didn't hear the warning and I was watching the drone and didn't see the visual warning. The sun was so bright and battery symbol on the display was impossible for me to read.

I thought that you had to cancel RTH or it would automatically return or hover.

I had RTH set to hover because I had been flying below the trees. But to my knowledge I didn't cancel RTH. But then it started to land and nothing I did would stop it.

So running your batteries low is common? How do you do your mission planning? Recreational only. I plan sonI never land below 30%. I have three batteries for each drone, but batteries are generally the weakest link in the planned equipment failure. Just wondering.
30%?! Geez I'm lucky if I land with 10% lol.

30%?! Geez I'm lucky if I land with 10% lol.
I am conservative. I don't trust a four cell battery to have matched charge and discharge rates. One cell can get you. Batteries are cheap. Plan my flights that way. Manage the risk. Always plan for problems on the way back. Voltage goes down, current goes up.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser