DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA2 remote interferes with cellphone's compass.

Vaideeshwar

Reactions
Hello!

I flew my MA2 thrice since I got it yesterday. Let me start off by saying it is simply marvelous! Now, the previous drones I owned were the Mavic Mini (DJI Fly) and Mavic Air 1 (DJI Go 4). Now, the connection is probably the best part of the drone. I had solid connection even at 3km away! only had to turn back since I was entering a class D airspace.

For a little background, let me tell you why I bought the MA2 in the first place. I couldn't live with the inferior connection offered by Enhanced Wifi and in my mind, the ideal drone would be the one that is silent, handles wind well, has Occusync at the least, gives me at least 20+ actual mins of flight and has a cam that is at least of the same standard as the one in MA. On paper (and also in practice), the MA2 ticks all those boxes and therefore I pulled the trigger within 5 mins of product launch.

I know that the drone in the current state probably has a lot of underlying software issues that I am sure DJI will send out updates for. However, I believe there is one main design flaw that we would all have to live with which is in the remote controller. Well, not the controller itself, but what it does due to the new position of the phone.

THE PROBLEM: The phone holder is smartly built. It has the antennae on the top and what allows for adjustment of the holder (also the antenna) is a sliding mechanism that is made of METAL. What I have found is that the fact that the metal is right below the phone causes the compass of the phone to lose the true sense of north. What is translates to physically is the wrong orientation and position of the drone with respect to the phone and controller on the ground. For example, if the rear of the drone is facing you and is flying at an altitude of 10 m and a distance of 30m, then the app tells you that the drone is actually at an angle in the yaw direction (rear not facing you) and is hovering to the right or left of you (right in my case).

Now, I have used the Fly app in the mini and never had issues of this kind which I think is because the phone would not be in close proximity to metals. I am convinced that the metal below the phone in the controller of the MA2 causes this issue. I see a potential fix: estimate the interference and compensate, which the Fly App could do everytime pre-flight, but I think the estimation would be phone-specific, which makes it a challenge. what I mean is that my Note 10+ might see more interference than an iPhone X. If that is indeed the case, I don't know know if there is a fix that is possible through firmware. One more thing I can think of is shield the phone, but that might just make the setup more bulky. I also see value in adding a holder for the phone which would physically elevate the phone from the metal sliding rails, decreasing proximity.

I would love to hear the opinions of fellow Mavic owners in this matter.

It's not the metal in the controller that interferes with the mobile device compass - it's the magnetic fields from the Hall Effect sensors in the stick modules. It's been a problem for all the Mavic controllers with some phones, depending on the location of the phone compass in the device. You could try flipping the phone in the holder to see if that puts the phone compass further from the remote.

Hey buddy. Thank you for your input. I understand.
Although I agree with the hall effect sensors interfering with the cellphone's compass, the reason I still think it may be the antenna setup running below the phone is because the phone is almost the same cartesian distance away from the control sticks on both types of controllers (MA2 and MM/MA1). In the new model, there definitely is an antenna wire running under the metal slider that would power the array of TXs in the antenna. I believe it is a combination of that electric+mag field that magnetizes the metal sliding rod, causing it to act as a major source of interference.

I did heed your advice and flip the phone by 180deg. Unfortuntely, that changed nothing. Also, I just flew the MM now. The phone compass points straight to the MM. I believe it is definitely something about the new MA2 controller that is causing this and I think it might just be the cable running inside the metal frame.

Thoughts?

Just a suggestion, if you have a tablet holder, use that with your phone. That is what I have used all along with the other controllers, plan to do so with the MA2 as well. I much preferred that configuration because it got my large hands away from the sides of my iPhone screen....

What sort of phone are you using?

Just a suggestion, if you have a tablet holder, use that with your phone. That is what I have used all along with the other controllers, plan to do so with the MA2 as well. I much preferred that configuration because it got my large hands away from the sides of my iPhone screen....

What sort of phone are you using?
A Samsung Galaxy Note 10+. Huge phone, barely fits.

Yes, I completely agree with your suggestion and was infact something I had in the back of my mind to physically distance the phone from the remote.

I will definitely let you know how that works as soon as I try it.

A Samsung Galaxy Note 10+. Huge phone, barely fits.

Yes, I completely agree with your suggestion and was infact something I had in the back of my mind to physically distance the phone from the remote.

I will definitely let you know how that works as soon as I try it.
I fly with the iPhone generally, but I also have a Note 9, when i get the MA2 I will be checking for this problem now also. Good luck.

Hey buddy. Thank you for your input. I understand.
Although I agree with the hall effect sensors interfering with the cellphone's compass, the reason I still think it may be the antenna setup running below the phone is because the phone is almost the same cartesian distance away from the control sticks on both types of controllers (MA2 and MM/MA1). In the new model, there definitely is an antenna wire running under the metal slider that would power the array of TXs in the antenna. I believe it is a combination of that electric+mag field that magnetizes the metal sliding rod, causing it to act as a major source of interference.

I did heed your advice and flip the phone by 180deg. Unfortuntely, that changed nothing. Also, I just flew the MM now. The phone compass points straight to the MM. I believe it is definitely something about the new MA2 controller that is causing this and I think it might just be the cable running inside the metal frame.

Thoughts?

I think that's very unlikely. The current flowing in the antenna cable is small and UHF - it's not going to magnetize anything. If there is a ferromagnetic component (what is the slider made of?) then it could become magnetized, but it would not be from the antenna system. Have you checked the RC with a compass or magnetometer to see if you can isolate the source of the magnetic field?

Like the AC, you can go through a compass calibration on the phone while mounted. I usually do a figure 8 wrist flip but while mounted, rotating on all three axes may be more practical.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Just curious.... Is there a case on your phone? If not, maybe using one might give you the shielding you need. If using one already, perhaps placing a thin sheet of plastic or something else inside the back of the case. Just something to think about. Am curious, since I too will be using a note 10+ when I get my bird in a few days.

• Haha
Reactions: Ex Coelis
Just curious.... Is there a case on your phone? If not, maybe using one might give you the shielding you need. If using one already, perhaps placing a thin sheet of plastic or something else inside the back of the case. Just something to think about. Am curious, since I too will be using a note 10+ when I get my bird in a few days.

You cannot shield a magnetic field with plastic, or nearly any other material for that matter.

You cannot shield a magnetic field with plastic, or nearly any other material for that matter.
Well, why then, when I use the magnetic phone mounts, do they NOT work as well when you put the metal plate on the inside of the case? That certainly seems to have an effect. Mr. SMARTEE PANTS?? hmmmm. ??

• Haha
Reactions: Ex Coelis
Well, why then, when I use the magnetic phone mounts, do they NOT work as well when you put the metal plate on the inside of the case? That certainly seems to have an effect. Mr. SMARTEE PANTS?? hmmmm. ??

I'm really tempted not to answer given your attitude, but I'd prefer that your ignorance doesn't infect others. Because that puts the metal plate further from the magnets by the thickness of the case, and the magnetic field drops rapidly with distance.

I'm really tempted not to answer given your attitude, but I'd prefer that your ignorance doesn't infect others. Because that puts the metal plate further from the magnets by the thickness of the case, and the magnetic field drops rapidly with distance.
OH, come on, you can't take a little ribbing? I'm sorry if you weren't able to understand the emoticons.(ignorance perhaps?) Anyway, by your explaination, then putting a case on your phone could help the situation. The thicker the better, right?

Reactions: sar104
OH, come on, you can't take a little ribbing? I'm sorry if you weren't able to understand the emoticons.(ignorance perhaps?) Anyway, by your explaination, then putting a case on your phone could help the situation. The thicker the better, right?
Magnetism gets deep quickly.

EMF range and Dipole range are two different things though.
(I think)

Oh - my apologies in that case. I saw the emoticons but apparently deduced the wrong meaning. I use the irony punctunation (¡), but that probably means nothing to many people too.

In terms of the case thickness helping it really depends on the magnetic field. The field produced by small, strong magnets such as magnetic mounts that are designed to be in contact will be significantly diminshed by a small increase in distance, whereas the fields from the Hall Effect sensors are weaker but more extensive. I've seen that interference affect mobile devices and found that you need to move the device away from the RC by much more than just a case thickness in order to mitigate it.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
Oh - my apologies in that case. I saw the emoticons but apparently deduced the wrong meaning. I use the irony punctunation (¡), but that probably means nothing to many people too.

In terms of the case thickness helping it really depends on the magnetic field. The field produced by small, strong magnets such as magnetic mounts that are designed to be in contact will be significantly diminshed by a small increase in distance, whereas the fields from the Hall Effect sensors are weaker but more extensive. I've seen that interference affect mobile devices and found that you need to move the device away from the RC by much more than just a case thickness in order to mitigate it.

Best, layman's terms, explanation

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BRUNO.CARDOSO