DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MA2 Stuck in tree

brasil-tester

Reactions
Hello,

Fairly new to droning. Was in front of a small church with some friends, one who also has an MA2. Was doing a quick shot around the church tower. As it went around the back, I heard that horrible noise of tree branches (I should have checked first). At first I couldn't locate it, but the controller was still connected and had an image of branches and the sky. We sent the other drone up and were able to locate mine stuck sideways in this pine tree. I tried to climb the tree. Had I been 30 years younger, would have been an easy climb. I wisely decided against it. We saw an open garage across the street and went over to ask for a ladder and a long stick. Nice man lent us his ladder and a 10 foot 1x3 piece of lumber. I climbed the ladder and then onto a higher branch which gave me a view of the drone!. Still way too far. The drone was about 40 feet up the tree. My buddies went back to the neighbor who quickly took his nail gun and nailed 3 of these long wood boards to create a 30 foot long 'stick'. From the ground, the stick did not reach, so I grabbed it from the tree and was able to reach the drone which fell 6 feet to another branch below. Another nudge and it fell back down to ground.
Damage: nicked blades, small scratch on drone and no apparent damage to camera. Popped a fresh battery and it took off with no apparent issues!!!

We were lucky that there this construction guy neighbor was next door and in his garage. Close call and very very lucky... No more drone maneuvers before verifying all obstacles.

Last edited:
The quickshoots does not have avoidance sensors. I guest this is bad from DJI, they should support this.

When using quickshots you need to make sure you clear all obstacles. Altitude is your friend. Just hover the drone and check 360 around and make sure you can not see any tree, pole or antenna higher than your view. I always add another 3ft on top of that just in case a wind gust blow the drone.This apply more to the orbit quickshot since the other shoots tend to go up.

I glad you was able to recover the drone without major damage.

Hello,

Fairly new to droning. Was in front of a small church with some friends, one who also has an MA2. Was doing a quick shot around the church tower. As it went around the back, I heard that horrible noise of tree branches (I should have checked first). At first I couldn't locate it, but the controller was still connected and had an image of branches and the sky. We sent the other drone up and were able to locate mine stuck sideways in this pine tree. I tried to climb the tree. Had I been 30 years younger, would have been an easy climb. I wisely decided against it. We saw an open garage across the street and went over to ask for a ladder and a long stick. Nice man lent us his ladder and a 10 foot 1x3 piece of lumber. I climbed the ladder and then onto a higher branch which gave me a view of the drone!. Still way too far. The drone was about 40 feet up the tree. My buddies went back to the neighbor who quickly took his nail gun and nailed 3 of these long wood boards to create a 30 foot long 'stick'. From the ground, the stick did not reach, so I grabbed it from the tree and was able to reach the drone which fell 6 feet to another branch below. Another nudge and it fell back down to ground.
Damage: nicked blades, small scratch on drone and no apparent damage to camera. Popped a fresh battery and it took off with no apparent issues!!!

We were lucky that there this construction guy neighbor was next door and in his garage. Close call and very very lucky... No more drone maneuvers before verifying all obstacles.

I actually just learned something from this post!!! I had no idea that the quick shots do not have avoidance sensors activated! That is exactly how I had my first crash! I was attempting to do a quick shot circle move around a beautiful baobab tree in Madagascar. I put the drone up to where I thought was higher than the tree and surrounding trees. I was wrong, and the next thing I knew, it crashed. My guide and driver and spent the next hour searching for it and found it. One of the front sensors was broken but I was still able to use the drone for the remainder of the Madagascar trip,including a flight down the famous Avenue of the Baobabs. When I got back to the US I shipped it to Grapevine,TX DJI and got it repaired under DJI Refresh, then sold it (a brand new refurbished model) .

I actually just learned something from this post!!! I had no idea that the quick shots do not have avoidance sensors activated! That is exactly how I had my first crash! I was attempting to do a quick shot circle move around a beautiful baobab tree in Madagascar. I put the drone up to where I thought was higher than the tree and surrounding trees. I was wrong, and the next thing I knew, it crashed. My guide and driver and spent the next hour searching for it and found it. One of the front sensors was broken but I was still able to use the drone for the remainder of the Madagascar trip,including a flight down the famous Avenue of the Baobabs. When I got back to the US I shipped it to Grapevine,TX DJI and got it repaired under DJI Refresh, then sold it (a brand new refurbished model) .

Sir, do you have the name or phone number of the place in Grapevine, TX?

That's the reason I've lost my interest in quick shots.
on another note...

I always thought you had to go through DJI when dealing with the repair facility in Grapevine, Tx

The quickshoots does not have avoidance sensors. I guest this is bad from DJI, they should support this.

When using quickshots you need to make sure you clear all obstacles. Altitude is your friend. Just hover the drone and check 360 around and make sure you can not see any tree, pole or antenna higher than your view. I always add another 3ft on top of that just in case a wind gust blow the drone.This apply more to the orbit quickshot since the other shoots tend to go up.

I glad you was able to recover the drone without major damage.
I only have a MM, but unless I’m misinformed, I thought the MA2 only had front, back, and downward sensors? Without side sensors, quickshots or manual control, wouldn’t the outcome have been the same? I think your idea of “altitude is your friend” is good advice in many circumstances. When I let others fly my mini, I take it up to 200’ (weather permitting) and let them go. Around here, they can’t get into trouble. ?

Last edited:
Sorry- I'd like to help. I Googled it and really didn't;'t come up with much. I think you actually have to go through the proper channels- e.g.:L go to the DJI site first (DJI.com) and go to support and service. Eventaully, you will be given the correct information. That's the best I can offer. K threw away all of the other contact materials. it was about a year ago.

Whoa!!! I went into my old e-mails and found this- you are in luck!!!

!Screen Shot 2020-09-12 at 1.40.01 PM.png

Why would they disable the avoidance sensors in quickshoot??? This seems like a bad idea.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143