DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Made my Mav Water resistant to rain. Hurricane Harvey

J

jvsoundwave

Im just trying to get my pictures and videos together from Hurricane Harvey. I live in Kingwood, and we were flooded in all around us. I wanted to get some good stuff, but the rain would not stop! So I did a few things and I was able to fly her in the rain. No issues with water damage at all. I did however have to fight the wind in Sport mode and almost loose my drone every time I went up. All in all, the Mavic performed like a Beast!

I think Ill make a video showing what I did, to make her water resistant to rain.

Attachments

• DJI_0524_1 copy.jpg
    DJI_0524_1 copy.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 312
  • DJI_0495_1 copy.jpg
    DJI_0495_1 copy.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 326
I'm waiting to hear what you did to make it resistant. But great shots and videos. Those will be things to show the young ones years down the road. "Remember when......"

I'm waiting to hear what you did to make it resistant. But great shots and videos. Those will be things to show the young ones years down the road. "Remember when......"
Yea, Ill have to out together a video here soon. And yep, thanks! for sure, Im donating all my stuff to a college. Its history.

Some of this could be very useful for helping improve defences, it's often surprising how water kind of sneaks up from behind.
During the emergency it would be quite challenging to get good quality aerial video by other means.

I'm guessing the main modification must be trying to keep water out of the battery connection area.

Reactions: jvsoundwave
think Ill make a video showing what I did, to make her water resistant to rain.

I'm glad you used the word resistant and not 'water proof'.

And I'm sorry for the devastation the floods have caused in your region mate :(

I'm guessing the main modification must be trying to keep water out of the battery connection area

I was thinking more of the vent area behind the gimbal :eek:

Im just trying to get my pictures and videos together from Hurricane Harvey. I live in Kingwood, and we were flooded in all around us. I wanted to get some good stuff, but the rain would not stop! So I did a few things and I was able to fly her in the rain. No issues with water damage at all. I did however have to fight the wind in Sport mode and almost loose my drone every time I went up. All in all, the Mavic performed like a Beast!

I think Ill make a video showing what I did, to make her water resistant to rain.
Sorry for your area disaster. In this journey you will meet many good people.
Appropriate Bible verse Brother. Angles dispatched and prayers for all.

Some of this could be very useful for helping improve defences, it's often surprising how water kind of sneaks up from behind.
During the emergency it would be quite challenging to get good quality aerial video by other means.

I'm guessing the main modification must be trying to keep water out of the battery connection area.
Yes, this is your main focus.

I'm glad you used the word resistant and not 'water proof'.

And I'm sorry for the devastation the floods have caused in your region mate :(

I was thinking more of the vent area behind the gimbal :eek:
Yea, there no water proofing it. But, Ive proven you can fly in high wind, heavy rain. After it was soaked all I did was let it continue to run for 10min (keep the heat), and dry it off with a towel.

Thanks, yea it sucked, and still sucks in many areas

Wow, so cool to see these shots! That boat appears to be on wrong side of hway..
Thanks bro! Yea, it was chaos for days. Those boats were dispatched on that side, becuase it was safer. I have a lot of shots of boats in neighborhoods and stuff. More at the youtube I posted

Great shots and I hope things are improving. What sort of wind speeds were you flying in I am very cautious with wind but that looked rock solid.

Reactions: jvsoundwave
( Mod Removed) At 2:48 you can clearly see a helicopter fly into the frame from the right, BELOW you! A Mavic can bring down a helo in a heartbeat. You had no business flying under those conditions and endangering the lives of the helo crew- who were actually doing some good. And yes, I am a MP owner and a commercial helo pilot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I received more than one warning email telling me not to fly in these areas, as they are reserved for those responding to the emergency. Even if this video is very good, it seems to be in violation. I live a mile south of the Barker Reservoir, which was over capacity and threatening to flood my home. Homes just to the west of mine were already under water and I wanted to take advantage of my MP to explore the area, but headed the advice not to fly. There were many helos flying in the area and I might have put their crew in danger. The urge for person gain was out-weighed by the respect for the heros that came to help.

( Mod Removed) At 2:48 you can clearly see a helicopter fly into the frame from the right, BELOW you! A Mavic can bring down a helo in a heartbeat. You had no business flying under those conditions and endangering the lives of the helo crew- who were actually doing some good. And yes, I am a MP owner and a commercial helo pilot.
I have to agree this is no place for.drones unless coordinated with rescue workers.. This is why gov are slapping down crazy restrictions because they see **** like this... Sure its well done but you should not have been up there without proper authority and coordination.. A Heli could have come. From. Your rear and bingo too late..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143