DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Made my Mav Water resistant to rain. Hurricane Harvey

( Mod Removed) At 2:48 you can clearly see a helicopter fly into the frame from the right, BELOW you! A Mavic can bring down a helo in a heartbeat. You had no business flying under those conditions and endangering the lives of the helo crew- who were actually doing some good. And yes, I am a MP owner and a commercial helo pilot.

Ive already responded to the FAA. Yes I was hit with a warning. I had no clue there was a helicopter near me. I walked the area and thought it was clear. Im running on a small device, and there are things you just dont see. Not sure if you have been in a Hurricane, but things were chaotic. I was only trying to report for my community. I have not made the same error again.

I received more than one warning email telling me not to fly in these areas, as they are reserved for those responding to the emergency. Even if this video is very good, it seems to be in violation. I live a mile south of the Barker Reservoir, which was over capacity and threatening to flood my home. Homes just to the west of mine were already under water and I wanted to take advantage of my MP to explore the area, but headed the advice not to fly. There were many helos flying in the area and I might have put their crew in danger. The urge for person gain was out-weighed by the respect for the heros that came to help.

Ive already responded to the FAA. Yes I was hit with a warning. I had no clue there was a helicopter near me. I walked the area and thought it was clear. Im running on a small device, and there are things you just dont see. Not sure if you have been in a Hurricane, but things were chaotic. I was only trying to report for my community. I have not made the same error again. I had no cell service, did not see a warning.

When I saw all them big helicopters sitting on the ground with blades spinning at 2:38 I thought... wait hang on, is that about to take off, and is this MP flying right into its flight path? The MP pilot didn't seem too worried about keeping an eye on it, unless he was on the ground nearby... dubious

I was along a Street. I followed the path of it and back. Actually did not get far because of the wind and rain. I did not see the helicopter. Actually wasnt aware of it till the FAA called me cause someone on here turned me in, instead of talking to me.

I could see someone turning you in or getting you in trouble. Be careful man hate to see you get busted for a video like this.

Too late. Instead of my a fellow Mavic person talking to me, they turned me in. SMH.
Obviously I didnt cause any issues and I had good attentions.

When I saw all them big helicopters sitting on the ground with blades spinning at 2:38 I thought... wait hang on, is that about to take off, and is this MP flying right into its flight path? The MP pilot didn't seem too worried about keeping an eye on it, unless he was on the ground nearby... dubious

I was on a street, on a straight path and back. No Helios near me. I didnt see or hear one.

Yes I didnt see anything or hear anything. This was a quick flight of an area I just walked. Not to mention my drone was getting soaked with rain, and my handheld remote. I was no were near danger. This is had been totally spun around to crap. I question being on this site now.

Can people just share what they have instead of being slammed by some person that claims to be a pilot but also has a Mavic!! ****, your the reason I don't even post on Social Media. There's always a hater out there!! People make mistakes and learn from them but your not the boss so slow ur roll![emoji1]

AMEN! Totally being gutted here. Anyone get hurt? Was i talked to on site? NO, social Media turned me in. Turning my good into bad. Its sad. Im off this site now. The few have ruined it for me now.

Reactions: Montypaks
ZERO Messages. No one tried to contact me, and get clarification and or warn me. Several of you turned me into the FAA. So many ways you can see I meant no harm, and I caused no issues. Further more, the post was about rain, and you would realize, when your viewing your device, you dont see how the Mavic sees. I dont view in 4K, my Mavic does. I did not see the Helicopters. I followed a steet for a little ways and back. The helicopters must had been going the opposite direction. One would realize, hmm, hes probably taking off from a none flooded area, and you can see he only went to the edge of the flooding and back.
Taking a break from this site. No one deserves cyber bulling. I Guarantee not one of you would in real life say this to my face this way. You hide behind your devices, and pound good people like myself.
All in all, I was trying to help my small community by reporting in a community group. Not one person there complained. I shared here much later. If you have ever had 50 inch of rain come down on your home, then you would understand.

Signing out of this site. I will not be posting anymore. Thanks to the few that backed me up.

AMEN! Totally being gutted here. Anyone get hurt? Was i talked to on site? NO, social Media turned me in. Turning my good into bad. Its sad. Im off this site now. The few have ruined it for me now.

What you're failing to realize is that, like it or not, the powers to be DO occasionally visit these forums. Remember, anything you put online has the potential to cross many social media platforms even if you only post to a single place. On PhantomPilots (sister to this forum) we have had SEVERAL incidents where the FAA has contacted members about unsafe flights merely from viewing the boards. Most were merely a phone call and then a letter follow up. Do realize that once you're on their radar it's going to be a lot more difficult to say you didn't realize you were busting a reg. That one usually only works the first time.

I have been turned in by a local competitor stating I was flying without the proper licenses etc. It took about 30 seconds for the investigator to realize that someone was playing a game and I had MUCH more than what is required for Commercial/Civil flight ops.

So remember anything you post on here, YouTube, FaceBook, Instagram etc is public viewing and FAA may or may not see it.

Fortunately for all of us the first "action" from the FAA, when there is no actual incident, is education. Usually if the phone call answers their questions you will just get a certified letter in the mail with information packets.

I was "turned in" last year by a local competitor so I'm speaking from experience.

I think you might be talking about SkyPan?
FAA Fines Drone Company That Flew Near NY, Chicago Airports $1.9 Million

My conversation with the FAA Inspector lasted maybe 5 min. He asked about my company and my credentials. He verified my credentials and said, "Sorry to take up your time but when we get a complaint about non-compliant/unsafe flights we have to look into it."

Luckily for me (and unbeknownst to the scum ball who made the complaint) I have much more than what they require for Civil/Commercial UAS operations.

Too late. Instead of my a fellow Mavic person talking to me, they turned me in. SMH.
Obviously I didnt cause any issues and I had good attentions.

Thats messed up man. Instead of just sending you a private message. They decided to snitch on you. Kind of cowardly to me. smh

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll