DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Magic - shuddering video during yaw rotation

jonts

Reactions
Hi guys

Had my Mavic Pro since July, and consistently had issues with video shuddering when I rotate in either direction. See a quick sample video - notice above at top of the tree line and some of the buildings in the background are shuddering.

I have tried slowing down the rotation considerably, but still with limited results. I have looked at many random Mavic video posts on the web and have not found anything that seems as bad as my Mavic.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Its the curse of a CMOS shutter. panning as slow as possible is your best defense. Frame rate matters as well, 24 is worse than 30. If you need a fast pan you could pan super slow and speed it up in post. Back in the old days we had to combat jello and strobing, now its just the strobe effect. YouTube has some pretty good videos about this exact problem too.

Hi guys

Had my Mavic Pro since July, and consistently had issues with video shuddering when I rotate in either direction. See a quick sample video - notice above at top of the tree line and some of the buildings in the background are shuddering.

I have tried slowing down the rotation considerably, but still with limited results. I have looked at many random Mavic video posts on the web and have not found anything that seems as bad as my Mavic.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Same problem with my P4. My default was to record in 24fps. When bumped to 60, in limited testing, it seemed to 'fix' the issue. The weather is bad in my area now so I've not been able to fly much to further test it out. I've not tested with 30fps yet.

Totally normal. Because of the speed you're panning our eyes have no chance to focus on an object, and so we see the stuttering. Pans in any direction that are at that kind of speed without any kind of subject to focus on are going to look like that.

As stated above, this is a normal effect from CMOS sensors.

There are some other threads which explore this in more detail, but to sum it up:

Couple of things to minimize this.

Slow the shutter speed using ND filters and pan even slower.

Last edited:
I'm finding that YouTube is taking a lot of smoothness out of panning. If I watch the original video (MP4) it's a lot sharper and smoother than the uploaded version. I've been shooting at 1080p.

I'm finding that YouTube is taking a lot of smoothness out of panning. If I watch the original video (MP4) it's a lot sharper and smoother than the uploaded version. I've been shooting at 1080p.
It's funny you say that - I had noticed after uploading the footage to You Tube to share for this post that actually looked a lot better :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851