DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Magimask FPV for Dji fly?

Biggie777

Reactions
I just seen these Goggles that seem like a great way to FPV a mini 2 drone. What do you all think? They work with the DJI fly app and all you need is a longer cord from the transmitter to the phone,since they have to reach farther obviously.

Last edited:
I got one. It works well and I use #3 readers with it. It has a pretty long focus range to accommodate different reading glasses. The optics are exceptional and my eyes don’t get fatigued any more than looking at an iPhone while flying. An advantage to a hood of any kind is that it blocks all spurious light, making the screen appear sharp and bright.

I tried it with an iPhone 7 and 7+. Either works though I like the smaller screen. I can’t compare Magimask to a DJI hood since I haven’t had the opportunity with the DJI, however I enjoy the Magimask and fly with it most of the time. Downside is that flight must be setup in advance since no touchscreen controls are available with the mask on. My typical flying session is four batteries long and the mask doesn’t become tedious or uncomfortable. I’m a new pilot so I have to buy and try one of everything for awhile (smile).

I got one. It works well and I use #3 readers with it. It has a pretty long focus range to accommodate different reading glasses. The optics are exceptional and my eyes don’t get fatigued any more than looking at an iPhone while flying. An advantage to a hood of any kind is that it blocks all spurious light, making the screen appear sharp and bright.

I tried it with an iPhone 7 and 7+. Either works though I like the smaller screen. I can’t compare Magimask to a DJI hood since I haven’t had the opportunity with the DJI, however I enjoy the Magimask and fly with it most of the time. Downside is that flight must be setup in advance since no touchscreen controls are available with the mask on. My typical flying session is four batteries long and the mask doesn’t become tedious or uncomfortable. I’m a new pilot so I have to buy and try one of everything for awhile (smile).
Awesome. How about heat ? Does your phone seem to get hot or anything like they can in VR mode or is that not a problem as well?

Awesome. How about heat ? Does your phone seem to get hot or anything like they can in VR mode or is that not a problem as well?
I run it with the battery charger turned on and VR. I can tell it’s warmer than ambient, but not much. Being black it may be hot in the summer on a sunny day. Don’t know yet. There’s a port in the front for shooting from the phone’s camera which provides a bit of circulation.

Reactions: Biggie777
Perhaps I'm missing something, but I don't think VR is available in the DJI Fly app and the SDK isn't yet available for the Mini 2 or certainly the Mavic 3. I sometimes fly with VR goggles with my Mavic 2, but there are several apps that support the M2 for VR. $169 is kind of steep for nothing more than a magnification box. I got a cheap set for less than $30.
This is the set that I have Pecossa VR goggles

I actually had a set before these but returned them because they were too heavy, though a bit cheaper. No name VR goggles

I should point out that neither one had enough focus range, but that was corrected with reading glasses that I installed which fixed the issue. Without holding them in my hands and checking them out I would not spend $169 for VR goggles and wait for compatibility with actual DJI goggles.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I don't think VR is available in the DJI Fly app and the SDK isn't yet available for the Mini 2 or certainly the Mavic 3. I sometimes fly with VR goggles with my Mavic 2, but there are several apps that support the M2 for VR. $169 is kind of steep for nothing more than a magnification box. I got a cheap set for less than $30.
This is the set that I have Pecossa VR goggles

I actually had a set before these but returned them because they were too heavy, though a bit cheaper. No name VR goggles

I should point out that neither one had enough focus range, but that was corrected with reading glasses that I installed which fixed the issue. Without holding them in my hands and checking them out I would not spend $169 for VR goggles and wait for compatibility with actual DJI goggle
No,you are correct that DJI has no FPV in the fly app,That would be perfect but no dice. Lol Ok so I understand that 169.00 is way to much for some VR box as I have had a few sets myself and have had my experience with splitscreen VR .. only reason I could have a FPV experience is because I have a set of VR goggles/glasses and a Tello drone that used a VR app that had VR support.So since the fly app just doesn't and we get down to what you call a "magnification box."

Please explain what a magnification box is because it looks like you linked up to Two different VR boxes on Amazon which are both basically google cardboard style VR boxes that are the same spitscreen VR like all the rest of the kind.

The 169.00 one isnt a vr box,not splitscreen and though not a true FPV, from the reviews that I have read and seen,seems like everyone really likes what they see.

One word of caution with any googles - you won't be in visual line of sight with the drone - so a spotter is "technically" required when using them.

One word of caution with any googles - you won't be in visual line of sight with the drone - so a spotter is "technically" required when using them.
Yes,I know about this plus another poster also warned me of this,thank you very much.

EDIT: I think I came across a YouTube video that shows a guy using an FPV set of 'glasses, such as he can see FPV but also through the glasses too eliminating the need for a spotter. I could be wrong but I believe this was the concept just writing this for interest sake.

Last edited:
No,you are correct that DJI has no FPV in the fly app,That would be perfect but no dice. Lol Ok so I understand that 169.00 is way to much for some VR box as I have had a few sets myself and have had my experience with splitscreen VR .. only reason I could have a FPV experience is because I have a set of VR goggles/glasses and a Tello drone that used a VR app that had VR support.So since the fly app just doesn't and we get down to what you call a "magnification box."

Please explain what a magnification box is because it looks like you linked up to Two different VR boxes on Amazon which are both basically google cardboard style VR boxes that are the same spitscreen VR like all the rest of the kind.

The 169.00 one isnt a vr box,not splitscreen and though not a true FPV, from the reviews that I have read and seen,seems like everyone really likes what they see.
Don't get confused with the term "magnification box". The VR goggles magnify the image on a smart phone, although typically in split screen.

Getting back to the Mini2 and flying FPV. I WAS WRONG ABOUT THE FUNCTION OF THE "MAGI MASK". Previously the only way to get it done was with some intermediate hardware (i.e. chromecast module) . Ken Heron did a video on that. [KH video posted below.] But it appears that it has the electronics built in. I couldn't find the details of what plugs into the USB-c port of the goggles, but I have to assume its the USB out on the controller.

It looks interesting and would not require software that the cheaper VR goggles need. The thing is that with VLOS rules while I like flying VR with my Mavic 2 (with Litchi or DroneVR apps) I've only used the goggles a handful of times, being mindful of the rules. I'd love to try the MagiMask for comparison. Who knows, I might love them and might be a great alternative to the very expensive DJI goggles that cost an arm and a leg.

Thanks for making me aware of this product. Sorry for my earlier confusion.

The video in a previous thread about the same goggles used with a mini 2 shows a simple cable adaptor, just works outside the usual occusync system.
I fly my old Spark with my RE goggles like this (as well as my M1P).

Scroll down to video.

Don't get confused with the term "magnification box". The VR goggles magnify the image on a smart phone, although typically in split screen.

Getting back to the Mini2 and flying FPV. I WAS WRONG ABOUT THE FUNCTION OF THE "MAGI MASK". Previously the only way to get it done was with some intermediate hardware (i.e. chromecast module) . Ken Heron did a video on that. [KH video posted below.] But it appears that it has the electronics built in. I couldn't find the details of what plugs into the USB-c port of the goggles, but I have to assume its the USB out on the controller.

It looks interesting and would not require software that the cheaper VR goggles need. The thing is that with VLOS rules while I like flying VR with my Mavic 2 (with Litchi or DroneVR apps) I've only used the goggles a handful of times, being mindful of the rules. I'd love to try the MagiMask for comparison. Who knows, I might love them and might be a great alternative to the very expensive DJI goggles that cost an arm and a leg.

I like that video.Yes,

Thanks for clarifying. I saw the same video and found it very interesting because we just have to search and try to find these workaround/ solutions if there aren't any at the time FYI, I just ordered a pair so I'll let you know what I think of them They are also used for AR and they have downloads on the site.(just an FYI) So I guess I will see with in about a week

I run it with the battery charger turned on and VR. I can tell it’s warmer than ambient, but not much. Being black it may be hot in the summer on a sunny day. Don’t know yet. There’s a port in the front for shooting from the phone’s camera which provides a bit of circulation.
Thank you Kindly sir,you have been a big help. I shall see for myself in about a week thanks !

You’re welcome of course. Let us know what you like or not like about it. For me, I would like to see the zoom out go another 1/2” to accommodate stronger reading glasses. I use an old iPhone 7 and it’s not grainy at all. The mask has a really good optical system.

I have an older pair of 5.8Ghz FPV Goggles from DMKR (similar to EV800D), that has an analog video input (NTSC). It has a good 4.3" 16:9 800x480 display with built-in DVR, and only weighs 300g (11 oz). I looked at the MagiMask and aside from the high price, together with the weight of a phone would be much heaver than the DMKR FPV goggles. I would like to connect it to the DJI fly app screen via Wi-Fi using the Samsung "Smart View" (DLNA) built into my Samsung Galaxy S7 or S10. So I ordered a Wi-Fi HDMI Display Dongle and have a HDMI to composite video converter to connect to the goggles video input. I've tested it and it does not look too bad (see the 2 photos of the FPV and the actual screen shot from the phone). The only inconvenience is powering both these converters, and while I can take along a USB power battery, I was wondering if I can "tap" the power from the DJI RC's connection to the phone (which it charges it too). I think a USB-c male to Dual or triple USB-C (make or female) cable (one to phone, 2 to the converters) might work, but finding one that will have data/power on one going to the phone, and power only going to the converters is not easy to find. If any has tried to use the RC to power the phone and another device (e.g., a display) I would be interested to know what cable was used.

Attachments

• photo through FPV DMKR Googles.jpg
    photo through FPV DMKR Googles.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
  • Photo through FPV DMKR Goggles (distant).jpg
    Photo through FPV DMKR Goggles (distant).jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 4
  • Screen Shot from DJI Fly App.jpg
    Screen Shot from DJI Fly App.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals