DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Magnetic field interference

rscheff

Reactions
Operating the original Mavic Mini with Samsung S12. I am going on to my 4th or 5th drone, all new replaced either under warranty or the fly safe insurance policy. All of my drones have had the same error msg., "Magnetic Field Interference" and it goes away as soon as the signal comes that home base has been established. It happens almost every time I launch with DJI Fly. If I launch with Dronelink it does not happen. I have no high power lines within miles of my area. This seems to be a program issue just like the weak signal that constantly scrolls accross my remote. Any one have an idea of why this is happening? It does not interfere in any way that I know of with my flying because I have thousands of minutes flying without a crash.

All of my drones have had the same error msg., "Magnetic Field Interference" and it goes away as soon as the signal comes that home base has been established.
It happens almost every time I launch with DJI Fly. If I launch with Dronelink it does not happen.
Normally, this message appears when the compass detects a magnetic field that's stronger than the earth's normal magnetic field.
You get this if you place the drone on a steel surface or very close to steel objects.
The app you use should make no difference.
I have no high power lines within miles of my area
You would have to fly within a few feet of a high voltage cable for it to affect the compass.
This seems to be a program issue just like the weak signal that constantly scrolls accross my remote. Any one have an idea of why this is happening? It does not interfere in any way that I know of with my flying because I have thousands of minutes flying without a crash.
It's not the program that's the issue.
The compass sensor is detecting a magnetic field and reporting it.
Why is the mystery.
But it's not believable that you've had four drones with the same malfunction.
I'd look for a common factor that's causing all your drones to act that way.

You didn't say how they fly.

[...] it goes away as soon as the signal comes that home base has been established.

From the post by @sar104:

"The FC [...] has a stored global magnetic field model in firmware and as soon as it gets a GPS position lock on startup it computes the declination (and inclination) from the model and adds the declination to the magnetic heading from the compass. Now it has true heading. That process is documented in the DAT file."

Sorry I took so long to respond. I never got a msg. or e-mail saying that there was a response to my question. I will check out the post you suggested. All of a sudden the msg. has not come up in approximately 10 flights or more. I now have another question in regards to the Mini 1. A while back, something like 3 or 4 months ago (I have not flown for 2 months due to 2 bad drones that had to be returned) I was flying and went out of range. I had lost the connection between the drone and the RC. I thought the the manual said that the drone was supposed to return home after 11 seconds. I counted to 40 and it did not return. I had to drive towards the drone to re-connect. I just remembered this incident and I tried re-creating it, but doing it close, by just disconnecting the RC. The drone just hovered for at least 40 seconds. I re-read the manual and it does indeed say that a disconnection for 11 seconds will activate RTH. Is this a software issue or hardware?

The drone just hovered for at least 40 seconds. I re-read the manual and it does indeed say that a disconnection for 11 seconds will activate RTH. Is this a software issue or hardware?
Perhaps it did not fully lose connection, it may have just lost the downlink?
Your flight data might have some clues.

If you are concerned about it ... you can easily test to check.
In a large, open area, fly out 40 metres or so and switch off the controller and see what happens.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura