DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Magnetic interference - Compass won’t calibrate

MaxenceL

Reactions
Hi there,

Alter flying from Belgium to Peru, i tried flying my mavic air in the middle of nowhere (reserva salinas y aguadas blancas) but i couldn’t take off because the app told me there’s too much magnetic interference so i need to calibrate the compass. I did so many times in many different locations but the problem remains. Do you think passing the drone 3-4 times through airport control checks messed my mavic up (X-ray)?
I don’t know what else i could do, i really want to fly it in here.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Max

Do you have anything on your body that could be the source of the interference? Watch or jewelry, items in your pockets, electronics, etc, etc? Just to be sure, I would just try to empty your pockets and remove everything (except clothing of course) and give it another try making sure you aren't near any additional metal objects like cars, etc. Not sure any of this will help, but is surely something simple to try.

Also, make sure to not turn the aircraft on until you are in a suitable location with nothing on you. I rarely have had to do the compass calibration with my drones, but when I do, I make sure to get to a magnetic free area in the middle of the grass with nothing on me before I turn the drone on and proceed with the calibration.

I do not know if this is going to be your best answer or not, but...

I travel a lot with a MP2. Often, I get the same calibrate message as a result.

What I do is confirm 2 things:
1- settings/sensors. Check how much interference there is with the compass.
2- compare the orientation of the aircraft with the map.

If both are satisfactory, I have launched with the “calibrate compass” with no issues whatsoever.

Thank you both for your answers! I’ll give it another go and will let you know (i had a belt on my pants, which might interfere with the calibration -_-

Thank you both for your answers! I’ll give it another go and will let you know (i had a belt on my pants, which might interfere with the calibration -_-
Your belt etc are unlikely to cause the problem as described.
Go to the app settings and check to see what it's showing you for the Sensors.
If the compass is disconnected, you will get the symptoms you describe.

I once had a problem like this and found out it was the extended landing skids interrupting the full sensors field of view.

Replaced skids with extended landing gear and never happened again.

This might be obvious, but holding the remote too close to your drone while you are trying to calibrate the compass can cause problems. If you can set the remote down, or have someone else hold it for you... that could help.

Hi all!
Thank you for your replies. I tried to fly it today on a mountain with no interference at all, but it still didn’t work.
I didn’t hold the remote myself, I wasn’t wearing any metal stuff, but the compass wouldn’t calibrate.
I met a few people who could fly their own so mine is clearly the problem.
I will try to reinstall the firmware as it’s the last solution I can think of ?

Hi all!
Thank you for your replies. I tried to fly it today on a mountain with no interference at all, but it still didn’t work.
I didn’t hold the remote myself, I wasn’t wearing any metal stuff, but the compass wouldn’t calibrate.
I met a few people who could fly their own so mine is clearly the problem.
I will try to reinstall the firmware as it’s the last solution I can think of ?
Firmware won't do anything to help because it's not the problem.
You need to identify the problem and I pointed out how to do that in post #5 but that seems to have been ignored.

Your belt etc are unlikely to cause the problem as described.
Go to the app settings and check to see what it's showing you for the Sensors.
If the compass is disconnected, you will get the symptoms you describe.
How could I reconnect the compass then?

It says that I have a compass error and I need to calibrate it. I’ve done so again like 25 times in different locations, ending with the very same magnetic interferences message.
I met another drone user who could reset it to factory settings, and the propellers started turning in his hotel room, which result I couldn’t get so far. But when I took it to a public park 30meters away, the compass calibration was again required. I tried for 15min but it was pointless.
I don’t know what’s happening to it

It says that I have a compass error and I need to calibrate it. I’ve done so again like 25 times in different locations, ending with the very same magnetic interferences message.
I met another drone user who could reset it to factory settings, and the propellers started turning in his hotel room, which result I couldn’t get so far. But when I took it to a public park 30meters away, the compass calibration was again required. I tried for 15min but it was pointless.
I don’t know what’s happening to it
Hello ... have you read what I posted?
If the compass is disconnected, you will get the results you have been posting.
You need to check to see if that is the problem and if it is, the drone will need to be repaired.
I've told you how to check.

Reactions: Thomas B and Shon
Hi there,

Alter flying from Belgium to Peru, i tried flying my mavic air in the middle of nowhere (reserva salinas y aguadas blancas) but i couldn’t take off because the app told me there’s too much magnetic interference so i need to calibrate the compass. I did so many times in many different locations but the problem remains. Do you think passing the drone 3-4 times through airport control checks messed my mavic up (X-ray)?
I don’t know what else i could do, i really want to fly it in here.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Max
My MA is a real pain in that respect, almost every time I use it I have to cal the compass and it almost always fails at least 3 times in the second phase. I have to move around and start at different directions and finally it's good to go. I hope someday dji fixed this.

My MA is a real pain in that respect, almost every time I use it I have to cal the compass and it almost always fails at least 3 times in the second phase. I have to move around and start at different directions and finally it's good to go. I hope someday dji fixed this.

Usually takes me at least two times... I consider it my dance for the sky gods!

My MA flew first time every time until one day I did the most retarded thing ... tried to launch of the bonnet of my car [massive face-palm].

Since then it's 50/50 if it will fly first time or require compass recalibration. Usually only takes one go to recalibrate, but a bit frustrating if trying to get in the air in a hurry. The aircraft flies perfectly after that.

You need to use a "Degaussing tool" on your Compasses.
Get "Cfixer" if you can find it
I love it

Attachments

• cFixer_manual_EN.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 25
Only time I see the Calibrate Compass error is when I try to take off from my back deck & then all I have to do is move my MP a few inches to get away from the nails in the deck. I have only calibrated my MP compass once in over 1.5 years & that was to learn how to do it. ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu