DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Magnetic Interference

Cheech Wizard

Reactions
I'm assuming there is spring steel in my landing pad? That's 360 degrees of a magnetic ring around my Mavic Pro? Any opinions on this?:oops:

Is strange how some steel causes issue and some don't .
I use this most of the time and never has caused me any issues.
I wouldn't lie to ya ;)

Now, THAT"S a lot of metal.
Yes it is, can't do it from the hood but do from there. And right from over the rear end
I mean .Launched my Phantoms from there .Like I said is strange .

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
I'm assuming there is spring steel in my landing pad? That's 360 degrees of a magnetic ring around my Mavic Pro? Any opinions on this?:oops:

Have you checked to see whether or not the steel is ferromagnetic?

I noticed my "radar view" was always off a few degrees until I got it airborne, then it seemed to right itself.
Careful with that - as we've had another Post where a Mavic pilot had a runaway which seemed to be due to the compass and GPS coming into alignment AFTER the Mavic cleared the magnetic anomaly. It does appear that there are situations where the Mavic will report all OK and green for take-off on the ground when it's in a strong mag' field - but it will get into trouble when you lift-off out of that field and suddenly the INS & Compass try to align themselves again. I've seen it advised from experienced pilots that if you notice a difference between the direction your Mavic is pointed, and the direction that the arrow points on your map view ... then move your drone before you take off.

I have experimented taking off from the roof and bed of my pickup several times and don't remember many errors. But I always got magnetic errors when taking off next to the vehicle on the ground within 5 feet or so. I never spent much time experimenting, but for sure noticed this in the past.

Careful with that - as we've had another Post where a Mavic pilot had a runaway which seemed to be due to the compass and GPS coming into alignment AFTER the Mavic cleared the magnetic anomaly. It does appear that there are situations where the Mavic will report all OK and green for take-off on the ground when it's in a strong mag' field - but it will get into trouble when you lift-off out of that field and suddenly the INS & Compass try to align themselves again. I've seen it advised from experienced pilots that if you notice a difference between the direction your Mavic is pointed, and the direction that the arrow points on your map view ... then move your drone before you take off.
Hopefully the difference was from the mobile device compass and not the AC.

Have you checked to see whether or not the steel is ferromagnetic?

I haven't yet, was looking for a magnet and then....duh! Refrigerator! I just checked it as we are texting, And YES it is magnetic! A pretty strong pull too. I have been trying to figure for months why the Radar view and map was always of a little bit until it flew.

I haven't yet, was looking for a magnet and then....duh! Refrigerator! I just checked it as we are texting, And YES it is magnetic! A pretty strong pull too. I have been trying to figure for months why the Radar view and map was always of a little bit until it flew.

That seems like a poor choice of material. Which pad are you using?

Reactions: CarlStarke
That seems like a poor choice of material. Which pad are you using?

I'm not sure... bought it a long time ago. Orange on one side and Black on the other. One of those foldable ones that pops open. When the weather gets better I'll check everything out and post what I see. It will be a couple really short flights with and without the pad.

I'm one of them. Wouldn't hover anymore, so I purposely aimed for a tree before it decided to fly off out into the ocean. Tree kept it, though I did have to climb a tree to go get it.

I have experimented taking off from the roof and bed of my pickup several times and don't remember many errors. But I always got magnetic errors when taking off next to the vehicle on the ground within 5 feet or so. I never spent much time experimenting, but for sure noticed this in the past.
Good point. That’s what I have. Maybe those foldable ones are a better idea.
My biggest problem comes from the rebar in concrete. I shoot a lot of architecture, some with acres of concrete.

There are foldable ones. I’ve not seen one in the flesh though.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580