DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Maiden voyage.... First Impressions

AeroMirage

Reactions
. My Red Mavic Air arrived today! Yeah!!!
. Thanks to Michael at Florida Drone supply! Reason being, he emailed me on Tuesday (2 days ago) to say that he had single units, but no FM combos. He offered to send me the single unit and send the rest of the items for the FM combo in a few days. Yes was my answer and he shipped it out that afternoon. It arrived 36 hours later!
First impressions:
Pros
>>Build quality awesome as usual! First class packaging.
>>Battery charges quickly. (Remote doesn't! 2 1/2 Hours...)
>>FW update was easy to accomplish for both the AC and the RC.
>>Gimbal cover is excellent. Nice design.
>>3 axis Gimbal nice and smooth.
>>Sport mode rips!! Got it up to 38.8mph and that was fighting wind.
>>Handled wind very well. 8mph sustained with 15mph gusts.
>>Camera nice. Conditions were not good either. Cloudy and dark. As with any camera, it has some quirks that I will need to get accustomed to.
Cons .
>> Crystalsky will NOT work with it. I assume this will be corrected soon. The CS kept thinking I had a Phantom 3 connected and that I needed to use DJI GO3, which is not on the CS. Tried looking for update to CS and none found.
>>Does NOT come with a SDC card. I think it ought to as every other DJI drone I have bought had one. (I don't count the 8gB internal as I will probably never use it. [SLOW])
>>SDC very difficult to insert & remove.
>>Wobbly / drifting landing. As it set down, it moved to the side and slid off the edge of the piece of plywood I was landing on and fell 8" to the ground. No damages, but I will watch this closer. (I have landed on the same board dozens of times with Spark and never had this happen.)
Impressions & Conclusions
. All in all, a great little drone! As I get used to camera settings and other details, I am certain it will become a valued addition to my fleet. Sure will be nice to use the CS once DJI gets it's FW updated. I found out that you want to turn on the AC and wait until it has done it's warm-up dance BEFORE turning on the RC or you have to re-link the RC all over again. (Had to do this several times before I figured that out.)
. I see that DJI has uploaded the user manual to the website, but as usual, there still remains plenty of exploring to figure out all of the little things that never seem to be in any of the manuals.
. Interestingly, when I tried to set it to 4K, it said my SDC was too slow to support 4k. Strange, I have used that same card in my Inspire 2 / X5S to record 4k. Funny thing is, it said the same of the 8gb internal storage. I have yet to figure how to download images from it to computer without removing the SDC. No clues in manual either. I tried connecting the bird to my computer with cable and comp did not 'see' any SB drive or anything else. I then tried connecting it to DJI assistant, thinking that might act as a portal. Not. I am sure I will figure it out, U-tube vids probably hold the answer. I sure do not want to have to remove the SDC all the time. it is VERY difficult.
. In sport mode this thing sizzles. While my Inspire goes faster (60 mph), 40 mph is hauling *** for this little guy. Handled very nimble also.
Here are a few pics. Most are dark as AE lock was set to the bright part of the sky.
Same with video clip.

3.jpg 4.jpg DJI_0008.JPG x.JPG

Last edited:
I was able to connect the drone's USB-C port to my Mac and to my PC and both were able to see the internal and SD card as drives.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929