DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Maintenance (motors)

sai

Reactions
What does everyone do in terms of maintenance? I had a quick search and I couldn't find anything related to motors etc. Do they ever need oiling? I love this piece of hardware and am keen to take good care of it! any advice appreciated.

Oilless motors. (Do not Oil) Can blow a little air to help keep them clean. That's it!
During start up, pay attention. Do you hear or see anything usual? If you do,....do not fly. Replace motor. Should be able to buy at your local hobby shop.

Reactions: Thomas B and sai
The Mavics brushless motors do not require maintenance. Keep them free of dirt and debris and they will last years. The bearings on the motors are sealed and sealed bearings are different than shielded bearings which require oil every so often, or when they start to squeal. DJI bearings are very strong. The only time I have heard a Mavics or Phantoms motor squeal is after an impact and the motor was damaged.

As part of my preflight, I slowly turn my motors by hand with the props off. I feel for any resistance or a gritty feel which would cause me to look inside the motor for whats causing it. The motors are not available at local hobby shops, and if you find one that needs maintenance, and you havent crashed, it would be covered by your warranty if within 1 year of purchase.

The real maintenance items are your props. Some people continue to fly with loose or chipped props, but since they are what are keeping you in the air, you should inspect them before every flight. If they start getting loose on the motor, time for a new prop that will only set you back $5.00.

Anybody know after how many hour flying we should replace the motor bearing..?

I dont know anyone who sells just the bearings, and DJI doesnt sell the bearings or the motors separately. You have to send it to them and they will replace the whole arm. I sell spare motors from new and used Mavics if anyone ever needs one.

The motors are good for hundreds of hours of flight time if kept clean and not crashed.

Reactions: dwashy21 and Blades
Thanks for the replies. I figured they were sealed bearings but being as they are the most stressed part of the mavic I figured it was worth asking. I'll check the props every flight.

The Mavics brushless motors do not require maintenance. Keep them free of dirt and debris and they will last years. The bearings on the motors are sealed and sealed bearings are different than shielded bearings which require oil every so often, or when they start to squeal. DJI bearings are very strong. The only time I have heard a Mavics or Phantoms motor squeal is after an impact and the motor was damaged.

As part of my preflight, I slowly turn my motors by hand with the props off. I feel for any resistance or a gritty feel which would cause me to look inside the motor for whats causing it. The motors are not available at local hobby shops, and if you find one that needs maintenance, and you havent crashed, it would be covered by your warranty if within 1 year of purchase.

The real maintenance items are your props. Some people continue to fly with loose or chipped props, but since they are what are keeping you in the air, you should inspect them before every flight. If they start getting loose on the motor, time for a new prop that will only set you back $5.00.

All of my motors have always felt gritty
And lately the right front motor gets almost too hot to touch after flight

I could use a right rear motor if you've got a good new or used one available. I had mine slide off a table during landing and it ended up with some sand in the motor.

Thanks,

Ray

I dont know anyone who sells just the bearings, and DJI doesnt sell the bearings or the motors separately. You have to send it to them and they will replace the whole arm. I sell spare motors from new and used Mavics if anyone ever needs one.

The motors are good for hundreds of hours of flight time if kept clean and not crashed.

All of my motors have always felt gritty
And lately the right front motor gets almost too hot to touch after flight
the motors have really good ventilation, my motors have always been mildly warm if not cold after a flight. too hot to touch sounds very bad! the escs may be working a lot harder too shortening there life.

SkewedRotationalBalance.
YouCanFeelRotationalTruenessByRemovingPropsThenRunningMotorsIdling.
TheRotatingSilverCanningCanBeFelt.
MineHasSingleSlightDingSmallLikePinPrickButThisCanningIsEccentricRotatingSinceYouCanSeeHowItRubsTheCollapsedAntennaeArmsAllRetracted.StillThereIsNoWrongSignatureNoiseYetConcernIsParasiticOpticalGimbalSuspensionLossFromTheTinyEccentricity.InsteadOfRipoutReplacementCanHandBendingTheCanningEccentricityBackTrueBeSucceededOrImpossible?SeemsLikeOverkillSwapoutTotalArmCompleteNewMotor&HumbugTooSolderingIntoPowerDistributionLands&IndicationStatus.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000