DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Majestic Beauty in the Gore Range, Vail Colorado, Scrambling the Grand Traverse! between two 13,000' Mountains

Karlewski

Reactions
The Gore Mountain Range, in the Eagle's Nest Wilderness area, is some of the most untouched terrain in Colorado, the approach to and from the peaks is roughly 6 miles with lots of vertical gain. The climbing was fairly straight forward yet exciting and the views were Incredible! Unfortunately, I was not able to fly this location since it is a Wilderness area, too bad too. . . the ridge, surrounding peaks and lakes were stunning, I think I did a pretty good job of showing it off despite not having my drone. . . does the DJI Pocket 2 count?

Last edited:
Perfectly legal to fly over Wilderness areas. Just cannot takeoff or land within those areas. Just takeoff and land outside the wilderness area and you are legal.

The Gore Mountain Range, in the Eagle's Nest Wilderness area, is some of the most untouched terrain in Colorado, the approach to and from the peaks is roughly 6 miles with lots of vertical gain. The climbing was fairly straight forward yet exciting and the views were Incredible! Unfortunately, I was not able to fly this location since it is a Wilderness area, too bad too. . . the ridge, surrounding peaks and lakes were stunning, I think I did a pretty good job of showing it off despite not having my drone. . . does the DJI Pocket 2 count?
Hello Karl,
I am always amazed how you walk light-footed and seemingly without much effort up the mountains as if that were the most normal thing in the world. I enjoyed your video again very much and the fantastic landscape is a feast for the eyes. The flowers, the crystal clear water and the view to distant mountain ranges are simply unique. Thank you for the new adventure video, I enjoyed it as always! ???
I'm already looking forward to the next adventure.
Take care and see you soon!

By the way, I enjoyed the video very much even without drone footage

cheers Paul

thanks for sharing!

Hi Karl, Yes the DJI Pocket 2 “counts” in my book when you post! Additionally, I never even check how long your videos are pre watching lol. You’re a one of kind on this forum, and we are all fortunate (in my opinion) to go where you take us, more often than not with risk to your well being. You rock my friend! Pardon the pun ??????

I'm so pleased you guys are sharing these experiences with me! The Gore range is special, few people explore very deep, and it is deep, too deep to fly a drone in from outside and maintain VLS. I wish I could have used it though. Crazy jagged ridges and peaks all around.

I am feeling well conditioned now and moving faster than ever before. The next video is a BIG ADVENTURE, several peaks, big waterfalls, frozen lakes, with scrambling and free solo technical rock climbing. Lots of drone shots to illustrate the true scale! I have not replied sooner because I have been going out every chance I get. Forest fires are lighting up everywhere and I want to do everything I can before the big smoke out. . . . like last year. . .
Just today I did a seriously epic trip, it was like climbing a two Giant Castles on the summit of a 13,000' mountain and very intimidating but. . . once I relaxed and warmed up a bit I scampered up without even needing my rock shoes. . . I have many very exciting videos coming up!

Honestly, for me Paul, is really is normal. I go big sometimes twice a week and go to the rock climbing gym every week and train on very technical routes on a rope with my wife. I am a 40 year trained mountaineering machine. Sometimes I feel scared but I do not let fear control me, I remind myself of the skills and experience I have, do my homework and make choices I can handle and I just love it. I was prepared to turn back today but it was well within my ability. . . I fear relaxing, and tripping somewhere mundane. . . I sprained my ankle last season that way. If the fires hold off I'll be doing bigger routes next. . . .

P.S. the Mini 2 was RIPPING at over 13,500' MSL no problem and in wind 15 gusting 25MPH! Decent climb rates the whole time. . . I was worried and watching closely.

Honestly, for me Paul, is really is normal. I go big sometimes twice a week and go to the rock climbing gym every week and train on very technical routes on a rope with my wife. I am a 40 year trained mountaineering machine. Sometimes I feel scared but I do not let fear control me, I remind myself of the skills and experience I have, do my homework and make choices I can handle and I just love it. I was prepared to turn back today but it was well within my ability. . . I fear relaxing, and tripping somewhere mundane. . . I sprained my ankle last season that way. If the fires hold off I'll be doing bigger routes next. . . .
Hi Karl,
thanks for the very interesting answer! A mountaineering machine...That was a good one and hit the nail on the head, it´
a saiyng here in Germany/Switzerland when something is perfectly done!
no wonder, if you train so often and hard it is a piece of cake for you to scramble up the mountains so easily ?

I wish you all the best for your future adventures and especially no broken ankles etc. And I keep my fingers crossed that no more fires arise and you have "free track". ??
good luck and cheers,
Paul

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun