DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Make deliveries with your Mavic

HEY! Are you Zing guys psyched about this? BVLOS granted for delivery flights! Soon, all your naysayers will be standing in line to buy stock when your company goes IPO. (Wishful thinking but who knows)

BVLOS Permission granted for delivery flights in US

Yes this is great news! Our Kickstarter has also reached 150% funding. Thank you for all for the support.

If you want to get a drone delivery box, they will not be available until late May unless you order one on the Kickstarter. We will be working on fulfilling orders throughout April and early May.

To stay updated on our progress, please follow us on Instagram @zinghq.

How do you get around the battery life and range restrictions? Take the Mavic Pro 2 for example, per DJI the battery will last for 31 minutes at a consistent 15 mph, for some reason I can't find range, but I am finding 8,000 m / 5 miles (feel free to correct me if I am wrong on that). At it's max flight speed of around 40 mph your battery is not going to last as long as that 31 minutes.

So, let's say you fly at 15 mph for 31 minutes (even though, there is no chance you are getting a full 31 minutes in anything other than perfect conditions, something that is pretty much not going to happen in the real world). 15 mph for 31 minutes, lets round it up to 8 miles covered. But, the range tops out at 5 miles, again, from my understanding in ideal conditions.

5 miles max distance at 15mph is 20 minutes, leaves you only 11 minutes to make the return journey, you'll be out looking for your drone at about 2.25 miles from the take off point after it crashes since the battery ran out. To make it to the delivery point and back before the battery runs out, you are looking at a distance of only 3.75 miles. Works for the range, but 3.75 miles, I don't see how that works for deliveries, most people would sooner get in their car and drive that 3.75 miles to pick something up.

This all ignoring the fact that if you are carrying something on the bottom, in real world conditions, that battery life and range are both going to decrease.

The only way I see it working is if you have a network of drone operators, so pilot 1 flies 3 miles and drops the package off with pilot 2 who flies a further 3 miles and so on. If this is all explained somewhere, let me know where, I would be interested to see it. As is though, I cannot see how it works both reliably and in a way that makes any sense. I read the FAQ's at the kickstarter link, and I just don't see who the service is even aimed at.

Reading some more on the website, if the pilot is following §107.31 Visual line of sight aircraft operation. then would the customer who placed the order not find it easier to just go get the food / drink? Trying to think of realistic line of sight in a town / city where someone would place that type of order and a drone pilot be nearby.

Cool concept though, I am sure as well as technology evolves it will expand. Depending on how much a pilot earns it could pay for the 107 license itself and possibly the investment in the drone as well. Good luck to you! Will definitely be watching and if I ever get my 107 license possibly sign up.... although out in the sticks, the nearest coffee shop to me is about 9 miles away and about 700' lower in elevation.

Last edited:
Reactions: ianannase
How do you get around the battery life and range restrictions? Take the Mavic Pro 2 for example, per DJI the battery will last for 31 minutes at a consistent 15 mph, for some reason I can't find range, but I am finding 8,000 m / 5 miles (feel free to correct me if I am wrong on that). At it's max flight speed of around 40 mph your battery is not going to last as long as that 31 minutes.

So, let's say you fly at 15 mph for 31 minutes (even though, there is no chance you are getting a full 31 minutes in anything other than perfect conditions, something that is pretty much not going to happen in the real world). 15 mph for 31 minutes, lets round it up to 8 miles covered. But, the range tops out at 5 miles, again, from my understanding in ideal conditions.

5 miles max distance at 15mph is 20 minutes, leaves you only 11 minutes to make the return journey, you'll be out looking for your drone at about 2.25 miles from the take off point after it crashes since the battery ran out. To make it to the delivery point and back before the battery runs out, you are looking at a distance of only 3.75 miles. Works for the range, but 3.75 miles, I don't see how that works for deliveries, most people would sooner get in their car and drive that 3.75 miles to pick something up.

This all ignoring the fact that if you are carrying something on the bottom, in real world conditions, that battery life and range are both going to decrease.

The only way I see it working is if you have a network of drone operators, so pilot 1 flies 3 miles and drops the package off with pilot 2 who flies a further 3 miles and so on. If this is all explained somewhere, let me know where, I would be interested to see it. As is though, I cannot see how it works both reliably and in a way that makes any sense.

All deliveries made with Zing in the beginning will be within 2 miles of the drone pilot.

The Mavic will be traveling at maximum speed, around 35 mph, when it is heading towards and returning from the drop-off location.

Total flight time: 31 minutes
Total flight time with lightweight payload: 18 minutes remaining
Hovering at drop-off location for 8 minutes (worst case scenario): 10 minutes remaining

Total distance capable of traveling with maximum drop-off wait time: 5.8 miles (2.9 mile round trip)

That leaves a 2 mile delivery with 5-10 minutes to spare so that the pilot can return before they start getting low battery alerts.

There are many cases where a drone delivery is simply faster and more efficient than getting in a car. In dense urban environments 1 mile can take 30 minutes+ to travel by car at times. They don’t have to deal with red lights, traffic, or any other obstacles that would be encountered on the ground. Traveling as the crow flies at maximum speed gives drones a major competitive advantage.

Reactions: naiku
Thanks for replying, I was just reading some more on the website as well.

Just curious who takes the product out of the carry basket at delivery? The customer? Will the drone be hovering or landed for the on-site delivery?

There are 48 hours remaining on the Kickstarter! Thank you to everyone who has pledged so far and helped us reach 150% of our goal. The delivery boxes will not be available for purchase while we are fulfilling Kickstarter orders.

Less Than 2 Hours Remaining on Kickstarter

Thank you to everyone who has helped us reach 175% of our goal so far! We are going to use any funds gathered from the Kickstarter to improve the Zing applications and delivery boxes.

If you would like to order a Zing delivery box or support us, please visit the Kickstarter link below. Delivery boxes will NOT be available for the next month or two while we fulfill all of the Kickstarter orders. If you want a Zing delivery box or T-shirt you will need to order one before 10pm.

Delivery boxes are available for both the Phantom and Mavic series drones. We are finalizing the Phantom box now and will be sending them out to all of our Kickstarter backers who have chosen the Phantom reward.
Support Zing

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato