DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Makerbot Mavic camera sun shield

kydroneman

Reactions
20170120_180059(1).jpg I had ordered a 3D printed sun shield for my Mavic from Thingiverse. Don't know if anyone on this forum has purchased such but I got mine today and immediately upon installing it just like the one that comes with the Mavic, the **** thing shattered. All I was doing was clipping it on. See attached picture. It's very brittle. A lot of the Mavic add-ons such as leg extensions, etc. I have purchased perform very well so I don't know if this is an isolated incident or what but I'm not buying anything else thru them.

I had ordered a 3D printed sun shield for my Mavic from Thingiverse. Don't know if anyone on this forum has purchased such but I got mine today and immediately upon installing it just like the one that comes with the Mavic, the **** thing shattered. All I was doing was clipping it on. See attached picture. It's very brittle. A lot of the Mavic add-ons such as leg extensions, etc. I have purchased perform very well so I don't know if this is an isolated incident or what but I'm not buying anything else thru them.

Where did you get this from? Is it my design? If so do you know which version?

EDIT: Looking closer I don't think this is my design based on the cutout but it is hard to tell. You can try my design which I have not seen break at all, it also depends on what kind of plastic you had it printed with. Below is a link to my design which also allows the camera to be pointed up.

Mavic Pro Glare Shield by Motley74

Last edited:
Where did you get this from? Is it my design? If so do you know which version?

EDIT: Looking closer I don't think this is my design based on the cutout but it is hard to tell. You can try my design which I have not seen break at all, it also depends on what kind of plastic you had it printed with. Below is a link to my design which also allows the camera to be pointed up.

Mavic Pro Glare Shield by Motley74

You're the guy that supposedly made this. I got it thru thingiverse. Mine looks nothing like the picture on the link and I was never given the option of choosing what plastic. 3Dhubs printed this I think.

You're the guy that supposedly made this. I got it thru thingiverse. Mine looks nothing like the picture on the link and I was never given the option of choosing what plastic. 3Dhubs printed this I think.

There are several versions of this floating around Thingiverse. It is a very fragile piece especially on the front and back parts that clip in. I printed out Motleys 2nd version in PLA and it is solid. Unfortunately it depends on several factors including material used but also if the person who printed it has a printer that is 'tuned'. Sorry yours broke. Where are you located? I'd be more than happy to print one out for you and send it if you're in the US. Shoot me a pm with your address.

Reactions: avanti1963
I had one made by a local student here in Napa.. He had to reinforce a part of it.. he noticed the design flaw and made a correction prior to printing.. anyway, I'm extremely pleased with the outcome.. did it through 3D hubs as well. in fact I'm having him print a tablet holder that was posted here on the forum.. I have a ram mount connector and hopefully I can switch to my Nexus 10.. we shall see, a $23 shot at perhaps a great long term solution..(my LG G3 doesn't work and I'm currently using a cheap 7" Neutab tablet as my FPV)..

Reactions: avanti1963
I just recently had one of Motley's glare shield's printed by a local printer through 3D Hubs. Mine seems quite sturdy. Certainly doesn't feel like it would shatter the way yours did. When I went through the ordering process I got to select the material (PLA) and the resolution (200 microns).

Yeah, I am one of the guys that designed the part. As others have said the issue may not be the design of the part but instead the low quality print of the part. when you make an order through Thingiverse it is not them filling the order, they send you to the 3D Hubs service and that service has ordinary people that have printers signed up to print orders locally. Unfortunately it is a bit like eBay and you have to be sure the person you select to print does a good job, I am not sure if they have a rating ability for those printers since I have not used the service personally. I would try to contact the person that printed it if you can and let them know of the issue, they may re-print it for you (or may not, depends on the person).

As @Filmscum said these parts are fragile but they really should not explode just putting it on the Mavic unless you used extra force. I have a v4 version of my design and there have been several people that have printed it with success, you can look at the makes on my posting and see what others have done. I am also constantly considering improvements so there may be a v5 coming, so far the only issue that has been reported is the connector tab on the back not fitting perfectly (although enough to work) so I will likely make another improvement to that part and really the issue could be printer/material specific. One thing to keep in mind is I designed this print around PLA material which is what i print with, while other materials should work I know that ABS is known to shrink so it could throw off the fit of the dome. There are also other materials that are very brittle and break easily which may be the issue with the one you got, PLA is a bit more flexible without breaking than some others which is why I chose that material for mine.

I have printed a few for other community members on here so I can do the same for you if you would like, just PM me and we can work out the details. I will say that I am leaving town today and will be out for just over a week so it will take me some time to get one printed for you if you want that.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa