DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Man flying a drone - Falls

Phantomrain.org

Approved Vendor
Reactions
I always state in the Forums : Common Sense has to be Number #1 above all laws and Regulations.

This is the First that I know of Reported

Initial reports indicate that he lost his footing as he was flying his drone and fell about 50 feet to a rocky ravine area,” Woolstenhulme told the Idaho Statesman in an email. “He most likely died immediately.”

You can find more about the article on Yahoo.
Body of Idaho developer who went missing in Owyhee County found in ravine

I fly off the Cliffs as well , its a good reminder , to pay attention to the ground as well.

Title edited :

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water and Use Common Sense when flying.
Screenshot 09-05-2020 01.45.41.jpgScreenshot 11-25-2020 15.25.50.jpgScreen Shot 2019-01-08 at 9.34.39 PM.png

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
@Phantomrain.org ,coal with all due respect the title of your thread ,is at best your opinion ,and at worse click bait
sorry but the unfortunate individual fell to his death ,because he put himself in a dangerous position on the edge of a cliff,and he would have fallen from that position ,regardless of what he was doing at the time,

I see nothing stating anything about VLOS flying. Or I missed somthing in that. Not at worse OMM it is a clickbait title and
surprised phantomrain posted that.

I suppose he could have done it watching his controller but most likely walked off the Cliff watching his drone in the sky, there are more reports coming in but it begs that we need to be Careful.

I fly off the cliff as well , its a good reminder ,I can change the tittle .
Title edited .

Last edited:
I suppose he could have done it watching his controller but most likely walked off the Cliff watching his drone in the sky
If he was watching either he shouldn't have been walking.

He also might have slipped and fallen while looking at neither controller nor aircraft. It said 'while flying his drone' but that's ambiguous — it could equally well mean flying his drone was the reason he was there. If I have a heart attack on a hiking trip the paper might report 'died while taking pictures' because I carry a crap-load of camera gear, not that I was actively looking through a viewfinder when I expired.

I know a photographer who nearly killed himself (and did cripple himself) paying too much attention to composing his image and not enough to his footing. And I've watched a photographer nearly get run over while composing a shot in the middle of a busy street and ignoring the cars (and getting a bit pissy when people tried to warn her…).

Situational awareness is important, no matter what you're doing…

Reactions: old man mavic
If he was watching either he shouldn't have been walking.

He also might have slipped and fallen while looking at neither controller nor aircraft. It said 'while flying his drone' but that's ambiguous — it could equally well mean flying his drone was the reason he was there. If I have a heart attack on a hiking trip the paper might report 'died while taking pictures' because I carry a crap-load of camera gear, not that I was actively looking through a viewfinder when I expired.

I know a photographer who nearly killed himself (and did cripple himself) paying too much attention to composing his image and not enough to his footing. And I've watched a photographer nearly get run over while composing a shot in the middle of a busy street and ignoring the cars (and getting a bit pissy when people tried to warn her…).

Situational awareness is important, no matter what you're doing…
True but were drone pilots and not a Yahoo Writer. , we know very well how focused we get on the drone , if I had to bet on if he fell because he slipped or he fell because his attention was somewhere on the drone, all my money is going up on the block. lol

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

Jeez, lets not overlook what a tragedy this is, the photo with his (?) babies in arms, family must be distraught.
Who knows what caused this . . . a wind gust, some disorientation constantly looking up (perhaps), a simple trip, loose rock, or medical issue . . . just sad to hear someone died doing something they loved.

As said, a reminder to be vigilant.
We own drones, they can move freely, no need to stand at a cliffs edge . . . sit down if you must be close for LOS if flying downwards into a valley.

Jeez, lets not overlook what a tragedy this is, the photo with his (?) babies in arms, family must be distraught.
Who knows what casued this . . . a wind gust, some disorientation constantly looking up (perhaps), a simple trip, loose rock, or medical issue . . . just sad to hear someone died doing something they loved.

As said, a reminder to be vigilant.
We own drones, they can move freely, no need to stand at a cliffs edge . . . sit down if you must be close for LOS if flying downwards into a valley.
Noted,

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTBennett00