DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Manchester CTR mini 2

dhm

Reactions
Hi there everyone!

I’m on the cusp of buying the mini 2 and honestly the rules are wearing me down.

I’ve noticed Manchester is in a massive CTR zone on the NATS app (pic attached) so does that mean absolutely no flying in any of that area? I only ask because it’s such a massive area in red!

Ive got my flyers Id and I’ll do my operators one as soon as I get the drone. I will also do the a2 cofc for some extra training and good practice.

Also after reading the drone code it seems the mini 2 is fairly unrestricted, being able to fly in commercial, recreational and industrial areas! I’m assuming that doesn’t mean you can fly in the city center as there would still be lots of people and hazards?

thank you,

cheers,
Dan

As you said the Mini 2 is fairly unrestricted. You can pretty much fly it anywhere (including city centre's), just not over crowds. The definition of a crowd is:

5. Never fly over people who are crowded together​

A crowd is any group of people who cannot move away quickly because of the number of other people around them.

Never do this, no matter what size of drone or model aircraft you have.

Examples of places where people are often crowded together include:

• shopping areas
  • sports events
  • religious gatherings
  • political gatherings
  • music festivals and concerts
  • marches and rallies
  • at a crowded beach or park
  • parties, carnivals and fêtes

Thank you for your reply, Do you have any info what the CTR is for Manchester? Can I fly nowhere in the big red zone? Or is the Mavic mini okay?

Cheers,

Dan

Thank you for your reply, Do you have any info what the CTR is for Manchester? Can I fly nowhere in the big red zone? Or is the Mavic mini okay?

Cheers,

Dan
You are allowed to fly drones in a CTR as you are operating under 400ft, it's the airport's FRZ you are not allowed to fly in.
Check out Drone Scene - Where can I fly my drone in the UK? - Drone Scene You can turn on and off the layers showing various restrictions. Here is Manchester's FRZ:
1611229842142.png

As I haven't flown since late December I have not yet gone through the new rules but even if overflights of built up areas are now allowed ask yourself, what happens if something goes wrong and the drone comes down.
If it damages property in the process can you cover the repair bill?
I think even the Mini's must now carry the operator's ID (as a camera carrying drone). So it would, I imagine, be even easier to trace the "operator".
That's one reason why I will not fly over a built up area.
That said I realise the red zone in the original map does cover large areas of open countryside.

Thank you everyone! That was a great help! I don’t plan on flying in the center but it would be nice to get some city scapes!

Reactions: Drumsagard
Perhaps ask the management of tall buildings if you could take a pan shot with a camera from the roof. I have done it once or twice elsewhere (last time was on 35mm so quite a while ago) but you might get lucky. If so either use a proper camera or walk the drone around the roof etc. etc.
Maybe HSE or 'security fears' have put a stop to that sort on thing!

I’ve seen quite a few city centre shots appearing on social media and wondering now of their legality.

For me what is more of a possible issue is ignorance of the new rules. Even if you’re within the law people are still utterly uneducated about them. Are the police now fully informed or are we likely to have issues.

Reactions: Drumsagard
Even if you’re within the law people are still utterly uneducated about them. Are the police now fully informed or are we likely to have issues.
I've been having similar thoughts. I have a Mavic 2 Pro, a Mini 2 and hold my A2 CofC. I'd love to shoot some cityscapes and although I'd be flying legally I did wonder if the police would be fully aware of the new rules.

Reactions: inkytog
CTRs are fine - flying in controlled airspace is perfectly legal.
The only banned bits are the flight restriction zones. Its probably best to avoid confusion to only set the app to show those.

(but even if the airspace is legal, you still need to follow the ANO/CAP regarding height, line of sight, crowds and so on)

I fly around Stockport thats right on the flight path I generally fligh well under the maximum altitude without any issues I contact dji if I get warnings about geo zones and unlock them
I have a mavic mini2 it's a brilliant little drone

I spent three months living slap bang on station approach and didn’t think I was allowed to fly the mini 2 there/ around there.

There’s some lovely industrial canal stuff round ancoats too.

Lockdown aside is this now ok to fly there with a sub 250g unit?

I spent three months living slap bang on station approach and didn’t think I was allowed to fly the mini 2 there/ around there.

There’s some lovely industrial canal stuff round ancoats too.

Lockdown aside is this now ok to fly there with a sub 250g unit?

1613518456702.png

Not sure of exactly where you mean but if its where the pin is, yes its perfectly OK to fly any drone within their category limitations there. Its nowhere near a flight restriction zone.

Ancoats is right on the edge of the no-fly zone around Strangeways prison though (check the map).

View attachment 123939

Not sure of exactly where you mean but if its where the pin is, yes its perfectly OK to fly any drone within their category limitations there. Its nowhere near a flight restriction zone.

Ancoats is right on the edge of the no-fly zone around Strangeways prison though (check the map).

Oh lord no. Piccadilly station approach. Slap bang in the centre pretty much.

Here's the area where I was staying - and would love to fly but like the other poster there's a LOT of red in Manchester- alas not connected with football!

Have to admit I don't really 'get' the zones- I see the red and go - 'nah'.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-02-16 at 23.59.34.png
    Screenshot 2021-02-16 at 23.59.34.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 1
Thats fine to fly outside the circle. You're perfectly allowed to fly in controlled airspace/ATZs, just not the flight restriction zones.
Best to disable those filters so it doesnt get confusing.

1613523974106.png

In your case, turn OFF the CTR. Its not relevant to drone use.

Thats fine to fly outside the circle. You're perfectly allowed to fly in controlled airspace/ATZs, just not the flight restriction zones.
Best to disable those filters so it doesnt get confusing.

View attachment 123943

In your case, turn OFF the CTR. Its not relevant to drone use.
Ah.. sorry - yes makes total sense.

I was also looking at the app on my phone and some of those switches don't seem to show (even in advanced mode) unless the area you're looking at has those zones.

I live near an aerodrome so I tend to keep that switched on but when I looked back at Manchester the switch wasn't there.

The app and website is somewhat stupid, unless a particular zone is on the current screen the switch disappears.
Means you need to go to an area where you know where something is just to turn it off!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Esccueje