DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Manchester flyers?

hi everyone, noticed a few on here from Manchester, wondered if anyone would wanna do a meet up and have a mass fly or what’s more commonly referred to as a Mavic swarm

There are a lot of facebook groups for Manchester and the surrounding areas, I live in Sale so im classed as a Manc flyer, we have a group of us that meet at weekends and fly a mix of Mavic, p4, P3 and P2V's. we are always looking for new flyers, email me at flymyphantom(AT) outlook.com, we usually fly at Lymm and Turn Moss fields in Stretford.

check out my YT channel.

www.youtube.com/c/flymyphantom

Reactions: Brihoppy
Hi, I am also from Manchester and interested in attending a meet. Is there anything planned over the holidays? And how do I get involved. Thanks.

Hi, I am also from Manchester and interested in attending a meet. Is there anything planned over the holidays? And how do I get involved. Thanks.

Nothing is ever planned with our lot mate lol
We just post in our FB group and whoever turns up turns up, im off work until the new year so I'm free most days, where in Manc are you ?

I’m in Salford mate but can travel anywhere. Just purchased some dji Goggles too which I’m eager to try out. What’s the group called on Facebook pal. Also I’m looking for some new places around the city for some cool footage, do you have any recommendations? Cheers mate

I’m in Salford mate but can travel anywhere. Just purchased some dji Goggles too which I’m eager to try out. What’s the group called on Facebook pal. Also I’m looking for some new places around the city for some cool footage, do you have any recommendations? Cheers mate

We have a private group but feel free to friend me here https://www.facebook.com/flymyp2v and I can add you into the group, we have a large area down at Lymm that borders the ship canal, its a great place to fly.

Our members fly Mavics P4 P3 P2 etc and we sometimes get joined by a group of racer quads and planes

feel free to sub to my channel i could do with subs lol

If your interested there’s a new FB group just launched, with the emphasis on connecting UK pilots.
Looks like it blocks the FB group link, if you want to check the group out, just search “ UK Drone Buddy Scheme “ Cheers all the best for 2018

If your interested there’s a new FB group just launched, with the emphasis on connecting UK pilots.
Looks like it blocks the FB group link, if you want to check the group out, just search “ UK Drone Buddy Scheme “ Cheers all the best for 2018

Or search Drone Meetings UK

I'll have to rock on over and have a look sometime... I'm in City Centre Manchester.

Heaton Park is a good place to go. Using the goggles to view the city centre (from a distance) at 1080 is breath taking.

Fly safe.

There are a lot of facebook groups for Manchester and the surrounding areas, I live in Sale so im classed as a Manc flyer, we have a group of us that meet at weekends and fly a mix of Mavic, p4, P3 and P2V's. we are always looking for new flyers, email me at flymyphantom(AT) outlook.com, we usually fly at Lymm and Turn Moss fields in Stretford.

check out my YT channel.

www.youtube.com/c/flymyphantom
Hi, I live on the north side of Manchester, and have just bought a Mavic. I have no experience of flying drones. I need to buy a new phone, and am considering the Galaxy S7, but have read of issues with the GO4 app. I would appreciate any advice and member's experiences regarding the S7, and would like to know which are the most popular phones being used. I would also like to meet up with other members to gain experience.
Any help and advice appreciated

With regards to the Mavic, it essentially flies itself, so don't panic.

I never fly with my S7 as I had disconnection issues and had to initially pull my slow S5 out of mothballs to fly it.
I now use my Mavic with nVidia Shield K1 Tablet or DJI CrystalSky Ultra display attached to the controller and DJI Goggles.

Get used to setting the Mavic controls and Go4 app on the phone/tablet first indoors. It won't take off accidentally unless you purposely push both flight sticks (if I remember correctly for the Mavic) down and together or use the take off command on the tablet. I'd just make sure that you are clear on the take off commands from the manual or on YouTube first.

For first flight...
  • Use beginner mode ( limits speed, control aggressiveness and distance that the Mavic will fly from you).
  • Makes sure you are outdoors in a nice open area.
  • Connect and switch on the Mavic controls and tablet/phone.
  • Do not take off until the Mavic has enough satellites (the DJI female voice will tell you home point set) the GPS will hold Mavics position by + or - around 1 meter.
  • Stand a minimum of 2-3 meters minimum clear.
  • Take off using the take off button on your phone or tablet and it will ascend to about 1meter of the ground straight into a hover. (It can also handle reasonable gusts of wind quite well)
  • Gently try the sticks until you get used to what's going on with each.
  • When you first getting used to the controls stand so that you are at the rear of the Mavic so that the sticks are orientated with the craft. Do not go to high and try not to be directly under the craft as it can be disorientating.
  • If you panic, just release all controls and the Mavic will stop in mid air and return to a hover. Rotate the craft so that it is facing away from you and carry on.
It wont take you long before you start getting a bit more adventurous and turn off beginner mode.

Get Kitty Hawk or a similar app to confirm that you aren't in restricted airspace before flying.
Manchester City Centre, Manchester Airport, Barton Airport and all stadiums are in restricted airspace which extends well beyond the confines of these spaces. You shouldn't fly in those areas without PfCO certification, Insurance and authorisation from the CAA.

Always obey UK regulations

Finally I'd recommend getting flight insurance with the BMFA or similar. It covers against accidents to something like £10m and costs about £30-40 per year.

Happy flying

Last edited:
Reactions: Sputnik_Air
Hi, I live on the north side of Manchester, and have just bought a Mavic. I have no experience of flying drones. I need to buy a new phone, and am considering the Galaxy S7, but have read of issues with the GO4 app. I would appreciate any advice and member's experiences regarding the S7, and would like to know which are the most popular phones being used. I would also like to meet up with other members to gain experience.
Any help and advice appreciated

Agree with @GTMonster the S7 had issues with the app on the latest android version i picked up an S5 for £35 off eBay.

Your welcome to join our little group if you want to mate

Forgot to add. If your overly panicked, release the controls and press the return to home button on the control and the Mavic rise or drop to a preset height and will the proceed to land where it took off from.

Also if the Go4 app crashes, release the controls, don't panic, restart the app and carry on. If totally panicked hold the return to home button.

If you fly in an area and objects between you and the Mavic are above 30m in height you will need to set the return to home height.

Beware of any object above (trees etc) before considering using return to home.

Last edited:
Forgot to add. If your overly panicked, release the controls and press the return to home button on the control and the Mavic rise or drop to a preset height and will the proceed to land where it took off from.

Also if the Go4 app crashes, release the controls, don't panic, restart the app and carry on. If totally panicked hold the return to home button.

If you fly in an area and objects between you and the Mavic are above 30m in height you will need to set the return to home height.

Beware of any object above (trees etc) before considering using return to home.

Thanks for all the help and advice, I will have a play over the weekend.

Hi new here just got a mavic ( my 1st drone ) I'm in saddleworth interested in meet up for help don't use fb so can someone shout up where there's a meet can be contacted on 07976205750 just text and I'll phone I'm ok most days

Reactions: Tommytucka
Hi new here just got a mavic ( my 1st drone ) I'm in saddleworth interested in meet up for help don't use fb so can someone shout up where there's a meet can be contacted on 07976205750 just text and I'll phone I'm ok most days
I’ll be out over the weekend and all next week as I’ve managed to wangle a week off work, will be in touch

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121