DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 Manual exposure settings and ND Filters

Reactions
I bought the Skyreat filters because they were more affordable than the Freewell brand on Amazon. They are easy to install and seem to stay attached just fine while flying. Don't forget to take them off before re-installing the gimbal cover. It seems easiest to install a filter with the drone on it's back.

I like blue sky with a few clouds from a visual standpoint. That said it made the light conditions change during the flight. The choice of filter was made by installing the ND 16. Turning on the drone and looking at the display. It was all blown out so I powered down, installed the ND 32, and powered up again. Now it was a bit dark but better.

Settings were 4K 30fps, shutter 1/60s, ISO 100.

I didn't like the blur on the trees on some clips. I think maybe I raise the camera to quickly and pan too fast. It is jarring when the pan ends and everything snaps into focus. I think this is mostly flying skill related.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Reactions: Bandit1
That's a tough one, the sky and the ground. Obviously as you bring in more sky the drone will adjust more for that brightness and leave the ground dark. You can lock the exposure with no sky or little sky and obviously retain a good exposure of the ground but the sky will blow out at some point. Using an ND filter will darken everything and you will be faced with the same problem but with more open apertures and lower shutter speeds and or ISO settings. ND filters can help you get real shallow depth of field if you like. Your blur is a balance between your flying skills shutter speed and frame rate. Boosting frame rate and or shutter speed will help with the blur as well as smoother technique. Planning your shots some to show off the sky and others to show off the ground is also a good approach.

Hi, I really saw nothing wrong with the video. You settings were what you would want in order to produce motion blur when you pan or tilt. Motion blur gives a more cinematic feel to the video and one of the reasons for using ND filters (so you can set the shutter speed to a multiple of the frame rate, usually twice). A higher shutter speed would give you a juddery video.

It's all a matter of personal preference in the end though.

That's a tough one, the sky and the ground. Obviously as you bring in more sky the drone will adjust more for that brightness and leave the ground dark. You can lock the exposure with no sky or little sky and obviously retain a good exposure of the ground but the sky will blow out at some point. Using an ND filter will darken everything and you will be faced with the same problem but with more open apertures and lower shutter speeds and or ISO settings. ND filters can help you get real shallow depth of field if you like. Your blur is a balance between your flying skills shutter speed and frame rate. Boosting frame rate and or shutter speed will help with the blur as well as smoother technique. Planning your shots some to show off the sky and others to show off the ground is also a good approach.
I like the idea of planning to show off different areas. That would preclude flying with a locked exposure value although I could change it on the fly maybe.

I think I need to stop twitching from nervousness and fly more smoothly. I do find I have trouble seeing the screen in bright light to gauge my turn speed.

Thank you.

John

Hi, I really saw nothing wrong with the video. You settings were what you would want in order to produce motion blur when you pan or tilt. Motion blur gives a more cinematic feel to the video and one of the reasons for using ND filters (so you can set the shutter speed to a multiple of the frame rate, usually twice). A higher shutter speed would give you a juddery video.

It's all a matter of personal preference in the end though.
Thank you. Unfortunately I don't yet trust my personal preferences. As I learn more I find I have missed little things that once I know, I can't unsee. I have had a few videos with juddery video. I never noticed until someone point it out. Now I am more aware of it.

John

I like the idea of planning to show off different areas. That would preclude flying with a locked exposure value although I could change it on the fly maybe.

I think I need to stop twitching from nervousness and fly more smoothly. I do find I have trouble seeing the screen in bright light to gauge my turn speed.

Thank you.

John
BTW, I agree with Barbra, I see nothing wrong with the video as is.

1/60 will always give you a little blur. That's partly how people know your moving. If it's too sharp it looks fake or cartoon like. Besides, we should shoot in 1/30 at 30p. 1/120 at 60p, which then gives the ability to do slow motion. Exposure looked perfect. It's always had to judge from a cell phone or iPad screen. You'll always have bright spots on things that are naturally bright and dark where there is shadows. That's OK. It's normal. Our brains adjust as we watch. Also, if you shoot in Log mode, you should have the extra stops you need to adjust in editing.

1/60 will always give you a little blur. That's partly how people know your moving. If it's too sharp it looks fake or cartoon like. Besides, we should shoot in 1/30 at 30p. 1/120 at 60p, which then gives the ability to do slow motion. Exposure looked perfect. It's always had to judge from a cell phone or iPad screen. You'll always have bright spots on things that are naturally bright and dark where there is shadows. That's OK. It's normal. Our brains adjust as we watch. Also, if you shoot in Log mode, you should have the extra stops you need to adjust in editing.
Thanks for your reply. I don't think I can shoot in Log mode with the Mini 2 can I? I ordered an Air 2S and I know I can with that.
John

Correct John, you'll need the Air 2 for Log. Then purchase some nice "LUTS". They are very cheap for DJI drone video from independent guys who've created some good looks. This site: Drone LUTs has one for free and more you can purchase. I use the free one all the time and really like it.

Correct John, you'll need the Air 2 for Log. Then purchase some nice "LUTS". They are very cheap for DJI drone video from independent guys who've created some good looks. This site: Drone LUTs has one for free and more you can purchase. I use the free one all the time and really like it.
Oh man that is helpful thanks. I am watching the courier tracking like a hawk and my Air 2S looks like it may now be in NYC. I will check that site out right away.

John

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000