DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Manually unfold props or spin out

I open mine up. There are You tube videos in slow motion that show start up of closed props stress out the motors and frame.

definitely unfold them before take off ,why wouldn't you want to lesson the stress on the motors and airframe ,it only takes seconds to do

My first drone was a fixed body, fixed blade quad. Never had to worry about it. When I first got my Mini 2, a couple of times I was anxious to get airborne so I unfolded the arms, set it on my pad, and spun it up. I did notice a "little" wobble at start up. Since it was in real time, it didn't seem like much. As I learned more about the Mini 2, and read posts/watched Youtube videos, I've since adopted a 'pre-flight' once over. I make sure the arms are locked, the battery is locked and I run my fingers down the blades to check for irregularities. Since I'm checking the blades, it's kind of automatic to bring them out.

Have always let mine just spin out. Guess everyone has their
way and that’s just been mine since my first MP. Never had any issues with any of my props not saying others havn’t just saying
what I have always done.
Most likely best to unfold them I just never have.

Isn't there something in the code that detects whether or not the props are unfolded? Thought I read some release notes for the DJI fly app. I would imagine that the gyro would detect vibrations upon spin-up and inform the user. Seems like something they could code.

What is the preferred method of unfolding props? Manually or let them spin out on takeoff?
No question. Manually unfold the props. Same as with "real" helicopter rotors, the forces (loads) induced in to the rotor system are at the highest during the spin-up phase. That said, service life for dynamic parts and components are often driven by cycles and not flight hours depending on aircraft model and mission profile.

In other words, the life expectancy of your drone props is higher if you unfold the props manually.

This video should help you decide position the props should be in before takeoff.

I know question to never take off with the props folded I think I’ve done it maybe twice out of five years that’s a no brainer my question is I like the way your drone looks and could you send me a link to where you got that skin and even your battery is numbered on the button I don’t want to be a copycat but I would love to make my Mavic2pro look like that we share with me and I like your videos and you always shoot straight as Americans are here really dig your voice , fly safe and have a wonderful day

One more thing since were talking about unfolding props I never fold my arms or legs because I use a seahorse case on all three DJI drone, I should’ve made a new post or thread to let everyone know that if your avid flyer and you want to protect your precious investment for a long time as I do folding in the legs overtime common sense would let us all know that the wires that pass through those joints Will eventually Fray so if you never fold in your legs only to do a imu calibration it will last five times as long as someone that keeps folding the legs in just my thoughts to all the flyers

I agree with Bryan L. I think some of the problems people were having with the plastic cracking was probably because people leaving them folded and thus putting more pressure on everything at start up.
Exactly. Leaving them folded can cause stress fractures especially in the thinner rear legs of the Mavic Air 2/2s.

I usually unfold them when I take my preflight flags off........just saying.

Have always let mine just spin out. Guess everyone has their
way and that’s just been mine since my first MP. Never had any issues with any of my props not saying others havn’t just saying
what I have always done.
Most likely best to unfold them I just never have.
Three plus years of heavy 107 flying and never folding them out!

Reactions: dirkclod
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61