DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Map Line from Drone to Home Point Now Red Instead of Green!

GadgetGuy

Reactions
Last several flights, the line on the Map from the aircraft back to the Home Point is now suddenly red, instead of the usual green. No apparent side effects. Home Point is properly set, and compass direction on the map is accurate with the drone location and orientation. What does it mean when the line is red instead of green? Why would it suddenly change color?

Last several flights, the line on the Map from the aircraft back to the Home Point is now suddenly red, instead of the usual green. No apparent side effects. Home Point is properly set, and compass direction on the map is accurate with the drone location and orientation. What does it mean when the line is red instead of green? Why would it suddenly change color?
i think it turns red if you do a RTH at least it does on mine, a MPP on IOS

Last edited:
i think it turns red if you do a RTH at least it does on mine, a MPP on IOS
Never used RTH, and this is now happening immediately upon launch, as soon as there is enough separation between the aircraft and the home point to see the line color. Weird!

Was flying last night - latest firmware and iOS13 and my line was green. Can't say I've noticed it turn red on RTH but then haven't really been looking out for it either so will check today when I fly.

For once last night I didn't use RTH or Autoland once - first flying session ever I think.

I though it had something to do with flying through airspace that dji considers worthy of a warning.

Whatever it is, it has always been green before forever, and it has never been red before now, ever, , and I don't use RTH. This is throughout the entire flight. It now stays red the entire flight. When the small map compass is clicked off of North up, and free floating, when the green (now red) line is kept vertical, you know the RC is directly pointed at the aircraft, so I use it all the time. When I linked the RC to my M2Z this evening, instead of my M2P, the line still stayed red, and I have now flown in three different locations that are unrestricted DJI airspace with it red, on two different aircraft. Bizarre! I have not updated the app or any FW or changed anything in my setup since when the line was always green. Any other ideas?

the only reason i saw it was red on a RTH was because i made a point of checking mine after i had seen this thread, it was green as usual until i pressed RTH, and i noticed that the return line had turned red on the map, it went back to green after i cancelled RTH, i then tried it several times with the same result ,i very rarely use RTH and thought that it was a feature of the recent update.

Reactions: Thomas B
the only reason i saw it was red on a RTH was because i made a point of checking mine after i had seen this thread, it was green as usual until i pressed RTH, and i noticed that the return line had turned red on the map, it went back to green after i cancelled RTH, i then tried it several times with the same result ,i very rarely use RTH and thought that it was a feature of the recent update.
Thank you for testing. I really appreciate you taking the time and your results, as it is a vital clue as to what the app thinks is happening. I haven't updated the app since February. Now I just need to figure out why it thinks it is in RTH mode, when it really isn't. I'll try activating RTH, as you did, and see if cancelling it restores the green color. It is a distinct possibility that a signal loss triggered RTH might have gotten stuck, leaving the red line permanently in place! Hmmm...

@wildlifr mentioned it might also be GEO restriction indication. In retrospect, I was in a unique TFR NFZ just before I first noticed the color change and couldn't fly, and when the NFZ time expired, flight was restored, but the line has been red ever since. Maybe a GEO TFR glitch residue? How does one completely flush expired GEO residue without completely updating the NFZ database, which might create even more problems than it fixes. I have heard of previous odd behavior when there is a mismatch between an embedded Trojan Horse and current FW which activates it, but not properly!

Still puzzled.
The mystery continues.
Anyone with any other ideas, please share!

Tonight, while flying the M2P, with no other changes, the map line back to the Home Point is suddenly green again! Thumbswayup

I'm guessing something to do with the TFR NFZ finally completely flushed itself. Did not have an opportunity to test RTH to see if that would turn the line to red, as postulated above, but it appears my primary issue has resolved itself.

It does seem that the red map line, without an active RTH, is associated with a GEO restriction, and it can be "sticky" and appear up to 48 hours before and for several days after a TFR expiration. Good to know! Thanks to all who contributed!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair