DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Map Questions

hpilot

Reactions
I just got the SC to use with my Mavic Air 2. What maps does it use - Google Maps? Since it only has WiFi, how do you get map data with no data connection? Is there a way to download the map data for certain localities to use when offline? If so, how do you do it.

I just got the SC to use with my Mavic Air 2. What maps does it use - Google Maps? Since it only has WiFi, how do you get map data with no data connection? Is there a way to download the map data for certain localities to use when offline? If so, how do you do it.
Don't get too hung up about the maps.
For most flying they aren't all that useful.

Reactions: Thomas B
It uses "mapbox"

I like to hotspot the phone and have real time mapping.
Thanks for the link. Too bad they (DJI) don't give you exact technical information on this. Kind of wonky to just look at the map and hope it is cached. Also, I have been told to turn off WiFi when flying to increase range.

You can put maps of certain areas in ahead of time. I'm not at home right now and don't have access to SC so I can go through the process, but I remember I found it pretty easily just by going through the controller. You can only put in a limited number of maps, and would need to remove some that are not needed to add new ones. The other day I flew in the same area as a year ago and the maps came up as needed, so apparently they're still in there. If your cell phone can be setup as a mobile hotspot, that works great as well. Just setup the SC to log on to the hotspot and it will log on whenever you enable the hotspot. The area I put the maps in ahead of time has no cell service in the area. Once put in, the maps come up whenever you fly in that area.

You can put maps of certain areas in ahead of time. I'm not at home right now and don't have access to SC so I can go through the process, but I remember I found it pretty easily just by going through the controller. You can only put in a limited number of maps, and would need to remove some that are not needed to add new ones. The other day I flew in the same area as a year ago and the maps came up as needed, so apparently they're still in there. If your cell phone can be setup as a mobile hotspot, that works great as well. Just setup the SC to log on to the hotspot and it will log on whenever you enable the hotspot. The area I put the maps in ahead of time has no cell service in the area. Once put in, the maps come up whenever you fly in that area.
Well Ok. The question is how you do it. Others say you can't "download" maps, you must look at the area you want, and the SC will "cache" them - kind of dubious...

Well Ok. The question is how you do it. Others say you can't "download" maps, you must look at the area you want, and the SC will "cache" them - kind of dubious...
Ok, after turning on the SC, select go to start DJI GO4 app. From the main screen hit the 3 little hash bars in the upper right of the screen. Then select offline map. You should be able to see the world map in the background. Slide the map to the area you want and zoom in using your fingers on the area you plan to fly. It will eventually appear in a box on the screen as you zoom in on an area. When you get the area in the box you plan to fly, hit download. It will then present you with a box to type the name you want to save it under, it will download it when you tell it you are done. Repeat this as many times as you need to cover the area you are interested in. They will stay in there and will be used when you fly in that area. That's the process I use when flying in an area with no internet, otherwise I setup my phone as a hotspot if there is cell coverage in the area.

Reactions: Otisangb
Just reread your post and see your using the mavic air 2 which I think uses the fly app instead of GO4 app. I have never used that app and don't know the process to download maps on there. I would think you can, but don't know for sure. My method was how to on the GO4 app. Sorry...

Reactions: Scona and hpilot
Kind of dubious?
Not at all ... that's how it's done.
There is no positive direct way to check exactly what you have downloaded like Google Maps or in the GO4 app. Just because "that's how it's done", doesn't "mean it is a good or desirable method. In fact, I'm not even sure it was designed to be used to "download" maps, but just a side effect of the app caching the map data for faster functioning. If it is designed to be used this way, show me some official documentation.

I have always used the method that kb9 posted (post no. 8) with the mavic zoom and it works great. Is the mavic air 2 different with downloading maps?

If it is designed to be used this way, show me some official documentation.
You'll find DJI documentation is quite patchy and many topics have sketchy detail, no detail or even incorrect or contradictory details.
Yes, it is different - it uses the DJI Fly app. The Fly app has no downloading menu item.
That's not different at all.
There is no download menu item in DJI Go4 either.
I'm wondering why you're so dismissive about information given by members that actually use the feature, when you're the one that's asking how it works??

Reactions: Scona
Neither the Go or Fly App can download maps. You can Cache maps but you loose them as soon as you turn off your device or close the App. dji needs to add the ability to download and store maps.

You'll find DJI documentation is quite patchy and many topics have sketchy detail, no detail or even incorrect or contradictory details.

That's not different at all.
There is no download menu item in DJI Go4 either.
I'm wondering why you're so dismissive about information given by members that actually use the feature, when you're the one that's asking how it works??
Really - I just did it in the Go4 App. Go to the hamburger menu - Offline Map - Download. I'm looking at it right now.

Neither the Go or Fly App can download maps. You can Cache maps but you loose them as soon as you turn off your device or close the App. dji needs to add the ability to download and store maps.
The Go4 app has a menu item that says "Offline Maps Download" - not cache.

Really - I just did it in the Go4 App. Go to the hamburger menu - Offline Map - Download. I'm looking at it right now.
Perhaps that's a new (and undocumented feature).
It's not been in DJI Go4 previously and isn't in my version.
(It doesn't even have anything I'd call a hamburger menu)
Since DJI Go came out in 2015, flyers have had to show the area they were interested in and scroll around to cache maps (if they wanted maps off line)
But really the maps are of very limited importance.
I hardly ever use them as the radar display is more useful for me.

Perhaps that's a new (and undocumented feature).
It's not been in DJI Go4 previously and isn't in my version.
(It doesn't even have anything I'd call a hamburger menu)
Since DJI Go came out in 2015, flyers have had to show the area they were interested in and scroll around to cache maps (if they wanted maps off line)
But really the maps are of very limited importance.
I hardly ever use them as the radar display is more useful for me.
Caching (downloading) has been an option in Go4 for Android for probably a couple years or more. Lots of YT about it.
I don't think the option is in iOS though.

Reactions: pelagic_one
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143