DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Massachusetts flying rules

Blitzkrieg

Reactions
Looks like I'll be in Mass next week for a business trip and was wondering on the local laws regarding flying over the water near Battleship cove. I'd like to get some shots of the ships and submarines, maybe during sunset/rise. I used to live not too far from there, so I know there is state park nearby that *I think* I can launch from. A quick search finds that Mass is pretty drone friendly, but didn't know for sure.

Thanks

Mass rules are the same as the rest of the US. If you're flying as a hobbyist, then you'll want to follow these rules.

Mass rules are the same as the rest of the US. If you're flying as a hobbyist, then you'll want to follow these rules.

I'm well aware of the rules, I've been flying for 4+ years now, just asking about Mass rules.

Correct!!

Great link.
I'm well aware of the rules, I've been flying for 4+ years now, just asking about Mass rules.

Ironically @msinger comment is still relevant and accurate.....

Reactions: Gindra
Looks like I'll be in Mass next week for a business trip and was wondering on the local laws regarding flying over the water near Battleship cove. I'd like to get some shots of the ships and submarines, maybe during sunset/rise. I used to live not too far from there, so I know there is state park nearby that *I think* I can launch from. A quick search finds that Mass is pretty drone friendly, but didn't know for sure.

Thanks
Unfortunately, last time I tried to take off from a state park in MA the ranger told me it was against the rules. Because it’s a state park, the rules are actually the law. I believe it is 302 CMR 12.17(2). Search the term “aircraft” in this document: https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2016/08/xn/3021200.pdf

Unfortunately, last time I tried to take off from a state park in MA the ranger told me it was against the rules. Because it’s a state park, the rules are actually the law. I believe it is 302 CMR 12.17(2). Search the term “aircraft” in this document: https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2016/08/xn/3021200.pdf

Can confirm, I called the Mass DCR, here was the response....

You cannot take off or land within our parks, however, based on the regulation, you can fly over our parks. However, please feel free to apply for a permit here: Apply for a state parks special use permit

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000