DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Massive Battery Drop

Cjuarezr

Reactions
Hello, I was recently flying my Mavic 2 Pro. I had just taken off and my battery was fully charged. I decided to climb to about 350 ft, and after a couple of minutes, my screen displayed a critically low voltage, dropping the battery from 93% to 0% immediately. I started to land without letting me pick it up so it wouldn't smash into the ground. I managed to land it on grass, so it wasn't an extremely hard landing. After I checked my battery, it only had 1/4 of the circle flashing. I have had drones for about 3 years now, and I don't think I did something completely stupid. The battery has about 42 cycles, and I never let it go below 15 percent. I was flying on the morning, probably about 35 degrees Fahrenheit. I think this might be the cause, but I am not sure and I don't want that to happen again. What do you think?

Reactions: Gindra
Hello, I was recently flying my Mavic 2 Pro. I had just taken off and my battery was fully charged. I decided to climb to about 350 ft, and after a couple of minutes, my screen displayed a critically low voltage, dropping the battery from 93% to 0% immediately. I started to land without letting me pick it up so it wouldn't smash into the ground. I managed to land it on grass, so it wasn't an extremely hard landing. After I checked my battery, it only had 1/4 of the circle flashing. I have had drones for about 3 years now, and I don't think I did something completely stupid. The battery has about 42 cycles, and I never let it go below 15 percent. I was flying on the morning, probably about 35 degrees Fahrenheit. I think this might be the cause, but I am not sure and I don't want that to happen again. What do you think?
I’ve had this once with a battery that I found swelled after landing. Good situational awareness BTW.
I believe it was the battery failing.

The battery in question is retired from flying of course. It was about a year old with maybe 250-300 flights.

Reactions: Gindra
Just curious if it might be related to recent firmware update to 400? Any thoughts there?

Just curious if it might be related to recent firmware update to 400? Any thoughts there?
Not for me... happened months ago (June) and also affected no other batteries (3) purchased at the same time with none being in the identified bad batches.

I’ve had this once with a battery that I found swelled after landing. Good situational awareness BTW.
I believe it was the battery failing.

The battery in question is retired from flying of course. It was about a year old with maybe 250-300 flights.
Mine is not that old. I has almost a year, since I bought it at the beginning of 2019 (January). Thankfully, I think that the battery is ok. You think I should use it again or should I retire it?

Possible, but not probable. I've never had any issue until now (indicating a possible software failure), but I haven't had any issues with my other batteries (indicating an isolated issue with the battery).

How long before the flight did you charge the battery?

About a day or two, why?

Only because once the battery has entered the self-discharge cycle the initial reported battery level is completely unreliable. But that wouldn't have happened in just a couple of days. Can you post the flight log - that will show the cell voltages during the flight.

How to retrieve a TXT log: DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help

Only because once the battery has entered the self-discharge cycle the initial reported battery level is completely unreliable. But that wouldn't have happened in just a couple of days. Can you post the flight log - that will show the cell voltages during the flight.

How to retrieve a TXT log: DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Unless he happens to have the discharge days at minimum setting.

Unless he happens to have the discharge days at minimum setting.

Its possible - I was surprised when I discovered that mine reset to 1 day with that most recent battery firmware update, but luckily it was at home and not during a flight.

Mine is not that old. I has almost a year, since I bought it at the beginning of 2019 (January). Thankfully, I think that the battery is ok. You think I should use it again or should I retire it?
Use the battery again? Totally up to you and your comfort factor.
For me, if I had that same scenario happen, AND after posting the log files and having the gurus analyze those... if they confirm that the battery showed a sudden voltage drop mid flight then I would NOT be using that battery again for anything other than a USB battery bank to charge a phone with.

Batteries and Props are big parts of what keep the drone in the air. They are (in my opinion) consumable items... items that degrade over time and need to be replaced. I wont risk my $1000+ aircraft over trying to squeeze a few more flights out of a worn out battery. Simply not worth me having a failure that results in the loss of the aircraft.

Happened to me as well. I'll bet that when you analyze the logs for that battery you'll find that one of your cells has been suffering (lower V than the others) for quite some time. Bet you'll also find that the manufacturer of the battery is Sunwoda

Happened to me as well. I'll bet that when you analyze the logs for that battery you'll find that one of your cells has been suffering (lower V than the others) for quite some time. Bet you'll also find that the manufacturer of the battery is Sunwoda
So is it true it can be predicted with airdata?

I have had a nearly identical issue on my Inspire 2, although have not seen this with my Mavic 2 Pro. On the Inspire, which uses two batteries, I recently had a fully charged (that day) battery go immediately from 100% to 0% after about two minutes of flight. I couldn't figure out why it was still showing 100% when I was minutes into my flight?!) Fortunately the other battery was still operating so I returned this back to my take off point safely. This happened with three different batteries within about a week of each other. When I look up the battery screen on DJI Go4, all cells look like they are fully charged and no cell looks low, (although my guess is that one cell is failing). When I press the battery check button on the battery, it shows a blinking 1/4 full light. When I try to charge it, it won't charge. These three batteries that failed all had less than 50 charges on them. Given the potential loss of the aircraft if I continue to try to use these batteries, I retired them (at about $200/battery!). They showed no signs of swelling and have never been abused, as I don't charge my batteries while warm, and never run them below 20%. I wonder if DJI would stand behind them? I will ask.
However, the M2 does not have the luxury of a back up battery, so if it were me, I would carefully weigh the value of using a suspect battery versus the cost of a replacement aircraft (or damage to other persons or property), if it falls from the sky. Maybe DJI will have a backup battery system in the M3, which would reduce some unexplained crashes/flyaways?

It's not configurable on the M2.
sar104, what do you mean? I thought the last M2 firmware update also introduced the ability to set the M2's default battery discharge from 10 days to as low as 2 days? Perhaps I misunderstood.

sar104, what do you mean? I thought the last M2 firmware update also introduced the ability to set the M2's default battery discharge from 10 days to as low as 2 days? Perhaps I misunderstood.

Or perhaps I didn't notice that change, which appears to be the case. Thanks for pointing that out.

• Optimized auto discharging function for the Intelligent Flight Battery. Added ability to set when auto
    discharge will begin. The default setting is five days. Note that DJI GO 4 v4.3.24 or later is required.

Or perhaps I didn't notice that change, which appears to be the case. Thanks for pointing that out.

• Optimized auto discharging function for the Intelligent Flight Battery. Added ability to set when auto
    discharge will begin. The default setting is five days. Note that DJI GO 4 v4.3.24 or later is required.
You might also recall my comment about that update as a bandaid and inferred admission of a problem with the early batteries that DJI doesn't really want to do right about.

Reactions: javiator and sar104
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair