DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Master airscrew props or other aftermarket props

gvsukids

Reactions
Has anyone used other aftermarket props on their Platinum?

i would personally only use genuine DJI low noise props on my mavic platinum,the ones by MAS are a good alternative it would seem ,from the number of people on the forum who swear by them, i would not recommend some of the questionable ones of some of the internet sites as if they fail then its by by mavic when it comes to props and batteries then only OEM ones are the safest way to go

MAS props seem to be better balanced. I still use original with MAS as second. Either way platinum is the best
i would personally only use genuine DJI low noise props on my mavic platinum,the ones by MAS are a good alternative it would seem ,from the number of people on the forum who swear by them, i would not recommend some of the questionable ones of some of the internet sites as if they fail then its by by mavic when it comes to props and batteries then only OEM ones are the safest way to go

Reactions: gvsukids
Lots of people have but none have reported any improvement.
If they were better, DJI would already have fitted them.
Just tried 2-blade carbon fibers.

The locking hub appears to be solidly constructed - checked that before mounting them. I also noted that the blade pivot points are held by Torx bolts rather than rivets, so the tension on them can be adjusted. You want that tension set so that it would stay straight if held horizontally by the tip, with the axis parallel to the ground, but loose enough that they can fold by hand. Makes it possible to balance them... Kinda hard to do that if they're loose and non-adjustable. There was a noticeable (by ear, no meter needed!) drop in noise when I balanced the props on my Typhoon, so I can't imagine it being different on a Mavic. The CF are also about 2.4g lighter (set) than the OEM, according to my milligram scale.

Used Dual-Lock (kinda like Velcro but better) to mount a small sound meter to the top of the Platinum. Mounting it to the bird - and testing in the same spot (indoors to avoid external noises) - keeps the reading honest. OEM vs CF, motors on, on the ground (idle): 75.5 vs 74.5 dBa. Hovering, 103.7 v 100.5. Took off the sound meter (reducing the weight and putting the balance back to normal before taking it more than 4' off the ground), then did a quick climb to about 100': 9.2 vs 9.7 mph. Horizontal speed stayed about the same at 20. Looks like the CF are better - at least they're rather quieter, and somewhat more aggressive for the climb rate...

Got a set of CF tri-blades coming to try out, as well as a set of CF blades for the Mini. Will post those results if significant.

Just because DJI doesn't put something out doesn't mean it isn't better...

Has anyone used other aftermarket props on their Platinum?
I don't use anything but Master Airscrew prop's on my Mavic Pro Platinum now. I've done some hover tests comparing the MAS 'Stealth' prop's to DJI 8331 'Quiet' prop's, and 3rd party carbon fibre prop's made using the 8331 shape - and have found that they are the quietest, and provide the longest flight duration.
They are more 'efficient' than the stock 8331 prop's (and carbon-fibre prop's) - which means they provide the equivalent lift at a lower rpm with a lower power drain on the battery.
They are stronger and stiffer due to their glass-fibre composite material, which is a lot more resistant to damage on impact with grass and small branches.
The MAS prop's are quieter than the DJI 'Quiet' prop's - due to the lower rpm. That drops the sound pitch and makes the buzz, more of a humm ... It makes the drone less intrusive, and I'm often told that my Mavic is less noisy than other drones people have seen/heard.
They cost £2 more for a set of 4, but I'd not go back to using the DJI 8331 stock.

MavPro_wrap.jpg

Yikes! I'd hate to get bit by something like that. Should be good weed wackers
I use them on my Typhoon H480 Pro. Quieter, better climb rates, possibly better flight time, but not certain there. quicker response for turns, etc. Won't use others again. And, yes, don't get hit by them - While idle on the ground, they just sting, no big deal (the blades "fold back" as they strike). Under flight power? Different story.

Weird. I ordered a set and they came today. I put them on and the quad wouldn't hover worth a darn. Kept slowly climbing and moving backwards. A shame, because they were noticeably more quiet.

Weird. I ordered a set and they came today. I put them on and the quad wouldn't hover worth a darn. Kept slowly climbing and moving backwards. A shame, because they were noticeably more quiet.
That's strange! My Platinum is rock-steady! Do a stick calibration and try again ...

Reactions: GregE
FForward to 2022, are the MAS still the best bet for an MPP ? Amazon has a bunch of cheaper options of course.

Best replacement rather as I just got a used MPP and it's only got two (used) spare props. In 5+ years of flying I've only damaged one prop but better be safe than grounded ;-)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000