DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Master and slave

Oldmanoftheworld

Reactions
Hi Guys

Got my new smart controller today for M2P so decided to set the smart controller as main controller and my old controller as the secondary controller so my wife can do the camera work.
Set them up easily enough but can’t see any difference between how each controller controls the drone. Both controllers do exactly the same thing, intact we can both fly the drone at the same time.
I assumed that the secondary controller would only control the camera and other limited functions, have I set it up correctly?
Thanks in advance

Reactions: m2zAL
i have both the M2zoom and M2pro with one SC. I traded my original controller for the SC and love the ease or switching between the two M2 models. I have considered purchasing a standard controller in efforts to gain the functionality of a second camera operator too.

Based on what you experienced and stated this seems to be an issue. I have a few questions for you:

1. Are both the Standard Controller and Smart Controller running the latest software per the DJI Aaaistant app?

2. If you only power one Controller, does It work perfectly, no issues And no loss of features? Same with the other controller only?

3. Since I have both M2z and M2p, I suspect I’d have to also rebind the Standard Controller when switching between the M2z and M2p, correct?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Hi Guys

Got my new smart controller today for M2P so decided to set the smart controller as main controller and my old controller as the secondary controller so my wife can do the camera work.
Set them up easily enough but can’t see any difference between how each controller controls the drone. Both controllers do exactly the same thing, intact we can both fly the drone at the same time.
I assumed that the secondary controller would only control the camera and other limited functions, have I set it up correctly?
Thanks in advance
That is working as it is designed. I recommend reading your Mavic 2 Pro user Manual where the Dual Controller setup is explained. It gives the details of the differences between the primary and secondary controllers.

Based on what you experienced and stated this seems to be an issue.
There is no issue. That is the way dual controllers work. Please read the manual.

3. I since I have both M2z and M2p, I suspect I’d have to also rebind the Standard Controller when switching between the M2z and M2p, correct?
yes you would.

(Mod Removed
Where exactly was there a ( Mod Removed)in my responses? If you would take a few moments to read the manual, you would see everything explained in detail about dual controllers. How does it help to just duplicate everything here when it's all there in black and white?

(Mod Removed)
Really? There's no need to get personal and start calling people names.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will delete my account and find a friendly forum.
How is it not friendly to point you to the definitive source for the answer to your questions. I pointed out that your controllers are working as they were designed. To get more details on exactly how each controller differs from the other, please read the manual. There are details there about what each one does. Is it "more friendly" for me to go to the manual, then cut and paste all of those details here? By the way, it is on Page 46. Is there any other information I may assist you with?

I just don't get it. :rolleyes:

Don't delete your account because of this. Almost all the people here are friendly and helpful and the moderators are great at keeping the (Mod Removed) in check.
Give it another chance and I'm sure you'll see that someone was just having a bad day.

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
Hi Guys

Thanks in advance
@Oldmanoftheworld the primary controller has priority over the secondary , so if the primary is in use ,such as moving the sticks,then the secondary controller is unable to perform any control functions also the secondary cannot change flight modes or stop the motors ,apart from that it basically means that the primary controller will override any inputs that the secondary tries to do
a bit like the old buddy box that was used to teach someone to fly with

I have only played with dual controls a couple of times, two standard controllers on either an M2P or an M2Z,
What I have seen is in accordance with what OMM has said.
If both controllers are simultaneously connected to the drone, input from the primary overrides input from the secondary. As to how finely separated or divided the segragated controlling can be is a matter for experimentation.
Both offer the same flying controls, forward back up down etc etc, and gimbal movement controls including from memory the touch the screen and drag controls. But the secondary did not seem to have permission to change limits etc. in fact the 3 dot menu options available to the secondary were, from memory, limited to only two menus, I can't remember which.
It is my recollection that even when the secondary was the only controller the restrictions remained. i.e. if going out solo don't take the secondary with you in mistake for the primary unless you want to relink the secondary as the primary.
The above said, most of this is explained in the manual, I have found it useful to have a pdf version of the manual open on a laptop and available for searching. Used in that way I found the dual control section of the manual remarkably understandable, normally I have to read bits of the manual several times in order to get to grips with its wording.

To address the above, I have somewhere seen mention of the second pilot being in charge of the camera whilst the first pilot controls the flying but in hindsight I think that that is for convenience and perhaps safety purposes only, i.e. the pilot doesn't have to be 'messing about ' with the camera whist simultaneously being the pilot.
Maybe it relates to other models, where maybe the controllers/pilots were or are assigned specific roles, and is the source of the OP's 'confusion'

With regards to "setting up" I saw no set up procedure.

The only things I was required to do was link each controller as either primary or secondary.

Reactions: old man mavic
I used the Smart Controller & standard Controller so my son could control the camera.
It ended up with me flying to the approximate position using the SC then I let my son do the final positioning using the standard controller, we found that better than me flying & him using the camera as it was virtually impossible for me to know where he wanted my position to be so he could get the shot he wanted.
I totally forgot to test if the SC would take over completely and override any input he made so I could avoid him potentially crashing it.

Reactions: TampaTC
I used the Smart Controller & standard Controller so my son could control the camera.
It ended up with me flying to the approximate position using the SC then I let my son do the final positioning using the standard controller, we found that better than me flying & him using the camera as it was virtually impossible for me to know where he wanted my position to be so he could get the shot he wanted.
I totally forgot to test if the SC would take over completely and override any input he made so I could avoid him potentially crashing it.
Often, manuals are written to be comprehensive which can be confusing. This is especially so for novices or those not technically astute. Reading a manual is not for everyone. That is a good reason a forum like this exists.

Cyborg, thank you for the simple and clear explanation for how dual controllers are best used based on personal experience.

Reactions: THE CYBORG
Don’t delete your account because of a single SA reply. Some people just can’t help but to come across as having a superior intellect. When I first came on this forum I found that a handful of posters find great satisfaction in offering their smug input on posts people make without even realizing it makes them and their reply’s look petty and foolish. People forget that this is a growing forum and that a lot of new pilots will ask the same question, oft times without realizing there is a search feature available. Just ignore the SA comments and glean the wealth of information it offers. My philosophy has become “if what am about to write isn’t constructive or adds to the post just I don’t add my comment” it seems as hard as they try, not everyone can be a comedian!

As an aside to this topic;
In the very near future I might be very interested in using two controllers for the same reasons mentioned here 1. Pilot and 2. Camera operator.
My dislike however is I have pork sausage fingers so the digital display onscreen doesn't seem to be all that helpful. And the same applies to the disk in adjusting the gimbal. Seems to be there is a fair amount of play in the disk before I see any movement out of the camera.
I understand it might seem or be impractical but wouldn't it be great to have camera/gimbal control on the right-stick (pitch I think) and leaving the yaw control where it currently is on the 2nd controller?!?
Any thoughts?

Can the 5th? button (the RH one, the mini joystick in the screen) not be assigned some gimbal control functions? It's a vague recollection only as I don't think I have actually used that button at all

I just read this part in the manual and don't understand what it is trying to say. I have to image it as the pdf won't allow 'copy'. Page 39 section 2 under Control Sticks-
1597599278196.png
I ask as usually this action, both downward and in, is used to turn on/off the aircraft. This action above is describing RC #2 but doesn't (in my mind) illustrate what it pertains to?!? Is it trying to describe the action on RC2 needed to reverse the aircraft- "when pulling down on the throttle stix...". Throttle stix is the righthand stix as I recall.

Any clarification would be helpful

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake