DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 Matanuska Glacier from the east side

akdrone

Premium Pilot
Reactions
The Matanuska glacial terminus doesn't show up from this angle but it's a nice shot to my eye. I shot 5image AEB with the tele lens and manually overlapped the images to make the panorama, with 16 separate shots for a total of 90 pics. Whew. The original come in at a whopping 13,705 x 3940 px weighing in around 181MB. . How stupid is that? For some odd reason I was not able to post the original here :). Shot with the Mavic 3 tele lens. The next huge pano I do with the tele I am going to shoot with the wide angle too and see what I get in comparison in terms of quality. I -think- I am getting a lot more detail this way. It certainly is a lot more time consuming!
DJI_0406-HDR-Pano.jpg

Very nice. I am curious why you think there would be more detail with the tele lens than the normal lens when the sensor in the tele lens is only 12 Megapixels vs. 20 on the main camera.

Very nice. I am curious why you think there would be more detail with the tele lens than the normal lens when the sensor in the tele lens is only 12 Megapixels vs. 20 on the main camera.
In a single shot the normal lens will give much more detail, of course. But when attempting a long panorama like this I might capture it with two shots from the standard lens where as with the tele I am combining 16 images so each small section of it is made up of many more pixels that one would find from the same area of a standard lens. Whether it is meaningful, particularly when viewed online, is debatable - or at least unknown to me. I am confident if I wanted to print a 4 foot wide image the panorama made up of 16images from a tele lens would provide much more detail than a panorama comprised of two images from the standard lens.

I like your shot and thanks for sharing I just wonder, I'm not sure how the river is running ? Is it partial frozen ?

River? It's a glacier of ice. Yes they flow. Just very slowly.
Thank you....it's all new to me and I tried to figure it out but couldn't...lol...thank you again !

Reactions: Elthree
Nice work! I'd be tempted to warm up the white balance slightly (maybe just a bit TOO much blue?).

I shot 5image AEB with the tele lens and manually overlapped the images to make the panorama, with 16 separate shots for a total of 90 pics. Whew. The original come in at a whopping 13,705 x 3940 px weighing in around 181MB. . How stupid is that?

With my Mini 2 I've been shooting AEB with a +/- 1.7 EV bracket (for a similar dynamic range to you) and then doing large panos. Litchi is fairly flexible with pano patterns, and I've been experimenting with stitching choices (which vary depending on the layout/orientation of the pano frames). Of course, I did first set up custom colour and lens profiles for the rig, so the stitching has good frames to work with.

Local photographer friends with M3s seem to be slightly jealous of the detail and colours I've been getting out of the tiny camera, even though it's "only" 12 Mp. One of my examples weighs in at 14109x12335 (221 Mp) although most are under 100 Mp (or in fact under 30 Mp most of the time). That huge one was actually an orthomosaic I shot as a Litchi mission (taking all that detail from one position with a wide lens would involve a lot of distortion).

Your tele camera may have only 58% of the pixels of your wide camera, but that's about 75% in both directions. That's a 1/1.3 handicap, and doesn't outshine the 7x advantage in focal length!
It does mean there's a lot more work in making an image, but it can be worth it!

Was amused to see the startup graphic in the most recent Lightroom update seems to be an aerial. :)

I like your shot and thanks for sharing I just wonder, I'm not sure how the river is running ? Is it partial frozen ?
The Matanuska Glacier melt feeds and creates the Matanuska River which will, very shortly, freeze up but for now at least, it's flowing, although you don't really see the river in this image. There will be a video to follow that will show a bit of the river. This is just one shot taken during an afternoon of photos and video.

Reactions: MavicFlyer2
Thanks for the info! I do wish we could use Litchi with the Mav3. As to the color balance it does look quite blue...because so much is in shadow and that's simply the color temp in those shadow areas. You are not the first person to suggest it is too blue but if you look at the clouds and the areas of snow and ice that are not in the shade they are pretty much whitey white white. In fact if you white balance off the larger areas that are in direct sun it all turns more blue. If you color balance off the face of the large mountain area you get something like the image attached. Everything in between is a matter of personal preference and I guess a warmer color is reasonable :). No image can process like our brain does.
Oh...whoops. Can't upload image and am not going to bother putting it somewhere on the net so I can post a URL :(. Regardless, I appreciate the comments, information and constructive criticism.

The Matanuska Glacier melt feeds and creates the Matanuska River which will, very shortly, freeze up but for now at least, it's flowing, although you don't really see the river in this image. There will be a video to follow that will show a bit of the river. This is just one shot taken during an afternoon of photos and video.
That sounds good and I will be looking for it...thank you. We've never seen a Glacier before.

That sounds good and I will be looking for it...thank you. We've never seen a Glacier before.
Never seen a glacier? That’s what you get for living in the deep south. :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jordy