DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Matrice 100 Anti-poaching

Gringorio

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Here's an example of using the DJI Matrice 100 dual battery setup with a 640 FLIR cam for anti-poaching purposes. I flew this mission from Sea Shepherd's M/V Farley Mowat on Operation Milagro. What you are seeing are cartel-supported fishermen retrieving their illegally set totoaba (a sea bass) gill net from the vaquita (an endemic harbor porpoise) refuge. These gill nets drown the vaquita, a primary source for their mortality. Both species are endangered and gill nets are prohibited in this area. The cartels sell the totoaba swim bladders to China as a medicinal cure, known as the cocaine of the sea because of the high price the bladders fetch. Another fake erection cure. As you can see, I got a little close and they threw objects at the drone. They know if we locate their net we destroy it, thus the frantic effort to collect it. Not much more than a year later they were using guns to shoot down our drones. Launching and landing from the deck in red light since this is not a drone to hand launch or catch.

[Comment Removed by ADMIN]

Music: Incompetech.com Dream Catcher.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's an example of using the DJI Matrice 100 dual battery setup with a 640 FLIR cam for anti-poaching purposes. I flew this mission from Sea Shepherd's M/V Farley Mowat on Operation Milagro. What you are seeing are cartel-supported fishermen retrieving their illegally set totoaba (a sea bass) gill net from the vaquita (an endemic harbor porpoise) refuge. These gill nets drown the vaquita, a primary source for their mortality. Both species are endangered and gill nets are prohibited in this area. The cartels sell the totoaba swim bladders to China as a medicinal cure, known as the cocaine of the sea because of the high price the bladders fetch. Another fake erection cure. As you can see, I got a little close and they threw objects at the drone. They know if we locate their net we destroy it, thus the frantic effort to collect it. Not much more than a year later they were using guns to shoot down our drones. Launching and landing from the deck in red light since this is not a drone to hand launch or catch.

[Comment Removed by ADMIN]

Music: Incompetech.com Dream Catcher.

The Footage is really amazing, and them seeing the drone really had the desired effect which was to leave the area kind of as a warning i guess. So these laws are really enforced , and there none to happy about it.

Thanks for sharing

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic Drone in the Rain.

The Footage is really amazing, and them seeing the drone really had the desired effect which was to leave the area kind of as a warning i guess. So these laws are really enforced , and there none to happy about it.

Thanks for sharing

Phantomrain.org
WOW, way too cool! Do they ever try to shoot down the drone? That is really rewarding work you are doing!

Reactions: Gringorio
WOW, way too cool! Do they ever try to shoot down the drone? That is really rewarding work you are doing!
Yes reread the end of his post.

Thanks for sharing

Phantomrain.org

Really, Sea Shepherd is and has been doing what the Mexican government should have been doing for years. But now for the last few years Sea Shepherd has developed a working relationship with Mexican military and other agencies for support and law enforcement. I recommend watching this: Sea of Shadows

They have on several occasions and were successful once, with a brand new Matrice 100 FLIR I had only test flown, same set up as the one I was flying in this video (one of the other drone operators was flying it at the time). They've also attempted to firebomb us by throwing Molotov cocktails at the ships, threatening the family of one of the captains, and other disruptive actions. Anything to protect their access to the totoaba and their valuable swim bladders. For the last few years now, Mexican military personal have been onboard the ships to protect the crew and dissuade aggression by the cartel fishermen. Because of all this there may be less than 15 or even less than 10 vaquita left due to drowning in the illegal gill nets. Check out Sea of Shadows if you have a chance.

Reactions: E90RAW
They have on several occasions and were successful once, with a brand new Matrice 100 FLIR I had only test flown, same set up as the one I was flying in this video (one of the other drone operators was flying it at the time). They've also attempted to firebomb us by throwing Molotov cocktails at the ships, threatening the family of one of the captains, and other disruptive actions. Anything to protect their access to the totoaba and their valuable swim bladders. For the last few years now, Mexican military personal have been onboard the ships to protect the crew and dissuade aggression by the cartel fishermen. Because of all this there may be less than 15 or even less than 10 vaquita left due to drowning in the illegal gill nets. Check out Sea of Shadows if you have a chance.
Sounds like you should be filming for a TV show. Great work, and its good to see drones used for positive purposes.

Reactions: Gringorio
Good on you for the work you do! I'm curious though, do you have a Kill Switch for the running lights on the UAV? Being able to run dark seems like a great idea. And mount a rocket launcher on the drone and poach some poachers!!

Good on you for the work you do! I'm curious though, do you have a Kill Switch for the running lights on the UAV? Being able to run dark seems like a great idea. And mount a rocket launcher on the drone and poach some poachers!!
We use black electrical tape to cover the lights. Not perfect, but good enough. Still working on the rocket launcher ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bertmag